Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gregg Allman has died.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think there is one very important lesson here.

It's not always beneficial to Cher your Allmans.

Only Sonny would (Bo)know.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Many said this was a sign.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/hhgregg_closing_all_220_stores.html

hh-greggjpg-737a714fccb53d6e.jpg

Well, it is a SIGN!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thirded. Not often a band hits the big time off the back of a live album.

Good point. Cheap Trick, Live at the Budokan, and Kiss, Alive, are the only other ones I can think of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have this on luminous yellow vinyl

That is all

:thumbsup: it's one of my favourite albums. I started a thread about live albums a year or so ago and there was a lot of chat about this particular record. Surrender especially, is such a brilliant song.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good point. Cheap Trick, Live at the Budokan, and Kiss, Alive, are the only other ones I can think of.

Kick Out the Jams?

EDIT, Thought of another - Frampton Comes Alive was everywhere in 1976. Every second person seemed to have it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When I was at School, we had to do a load of random filler lessons to make up the gaps in the A Level timetable. One of these lessons was 'American Music' run by our slightly weird Economics teacher, Mr Robinson. He was basically a hippy with long hair, velvet loons and those small round tinted glasses.

These lessons were an excuse for him to bring in his album collection. We sat and listened to brilliant albums by The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane and The Doors. He was also a big fan of Southern Rock and one album he played was 'Live at Fillmore East' by The Allman Brothers Band. Listening to this fantastic album served to introduce me to other Southern Rock bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Marshall Tucker Band.

[yt]Bqa1s4jhkQ8[/yt]

I saw the Allmans live at the first Knebworth Festival in 1974(?). They were very good, but sadly already lacking Duane........

Edit - I came on here earlier this (Sunday) afternoon to start a thread about this, expecting to be very much a lone voice. When I did a search, I was very heartened to see others who were Allmans cognoscenti

In this marvellously diverse platform which is NSC, I should have known better.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
When I read threads like these they often lead me onto little journeys of discovery where I uncover interesting little snippets as I look at the life of not only the artist being posted about but also those they've collaborated with as I jump from one name to another via the various links that crop up. Two such snippets I learnt today:
1. Jim Gordon, the drummer with Derek and the Dominoes murdered his mother with a hammer as a result of previously undiagnosed schizophrenia.
2. Bonnie Bramlett of Delaney and Bonnie once punched Elvis Costello in the face after he made derogatory racist remarks about James Brown and Ray Charles.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Jessica....quite a few bods will recognise that one....I worked at HMV as a saturday job early/mid seventies seem to recall a fair bit of there stuff being played

HMV in Churchill Square? Spent my Saturday lunchtimes in there when I was doing a Saturday job at Waitrose.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
HMV in Churchill Square? Spent my Saturday lunchtimes in there when I was doing a Saturday job at Waitrose.

Thats the one.....took no money home....they handed my wages over...i got discount on the vinyl..i gave the cash back to them....ended up with a large LP collection though :moo:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Thats the one.....took no money home....they handed my wages over...i got discount on the vinyl..i gave the cash back to them....ended up with a large LP collection though :moo:

Happy days. Don't think I got a discount in Waitrose as a weekend boy, but all the broken biscuits you could handle, including those packets which got "accidentally" damaged in transit.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
This is Jackson Browne's tribute to Gregg Allman. I was hoping that he'd come up with something really poignant, and he hasn't let me down:-

Gregg Allman was one of the most gifted singers of the last fifty years. We became friends in LA in the late sixties when he and Duane were in The Hourglass. He was a blues singer first, and he was so natural, and so soulful, that when he sang songs that were written in a major scale, he found all the most soulful and expressive passages through those changes. It was just how he heard it. That's how it was with my song, These Days. He slowed it down, and felt it deeply, and he made that song twice as good as it was before he sang it.

I got to speak with him in the week before he passed, and I got to tell him how much his music and his friendship has meant to me. He recently recorded one of my early songs, Song For Adam, and he and Don Was sent it to me to sing on, and I did. That song, the way he sang it and where he sang it from - at the end of his life - well, he completed that song, and gave it a resonance and a gravity that could only have been put there by him.

I will miss him. I send my deepest condolences to his family, his bands and crews, and all those who knew him and loved him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here