Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Glenn Murray go down in history as a legend in the same way as Bobby Zamora IF we are

I got this from someone whose sister was a neighbour and friend of theirs. Also it was before Murray hit form at Palace so it was interesting but insignificant information at the time.

There may have been a system of two money pots but not so strict that we couldn't keep our best striker. Poyet used it as an excuse but was only a half truth.

The club and Murray have never spoken publicly on this and have acted professionally on this matter. I don't believe that Bloom ever confirmed Poyets claim.

Sure - and I'm not saying I 100% believe what Poyet was saying, we know he could be amazingly pigheaded in his treatment of good players (Nicky Forster) but also we all remember that 2011 season well, Murray was a class ahead of Barnes that season as he has been Hemed this and I still think it's a bizarre thing that he would let him go for nothing willingly, rather than it being a chaotically mishandled (possibly by both parties) aspect of his many and long battles with the board over team funding.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sure - and I'm not saying I 100% believe what Poyet was saying, we know he could be amazingly pigheaded in his treatment of good players (Nicky Forster) but also we all remember that 2011 season well, Murray was a class ahead of Barnes that season as he has been Hemed this and I still think it's a bizarre thing that he would let him go for nothing willingly, rather than it being a chaotically mishandled (possibly by both parties) aspect of his many and long battles with the board over team funding.

From what I understand, just from NSC mind, Poyet clashed with Murray's other half. I don't know the detail but there was a reason for Poyet to play Glenn like this at the end and personal differences was key.

Bloom never wanted him out at all, but he had to give the benefit of the doubt to Poyet and trust his judgment as the only football Guru at the club at the time. From what I understand Bloom was happy to pay what Glenn wanted but you have to trust the manager.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It was a different time. Back then BZ was the kind of quality player we would dream of having, Today GM is the kind of quality of player we expect to have.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
He will always be regarded as a great player for us, he has always been that when he has been here. But you just cant forget the palace years and so he'll always be tainted for that. Do you think BZ would have joined Palace if he was offered a contract there? I really don't think so.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The whole team will IMO. :thumbsup:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
YES

He's fired us to 2 promotions, possibly 2 titles. It was our fault he left, not his.

Perhaps not our's (fans) but maybe down to GP with his ceilling (advice to the board) which precluded resigning a player, out of contract, for a signing on fee as opposed to CMS (transfer fee plus £??)
The rest is history !

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He is like the prodigal son. Jesus taught the other son who was always loyal not to be jealous, as he loved them both equally. Just be happy he is back home.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He will always be regarded as a great player for us, he has always been that when he has been here. But you just cant forget the palace years and so he'll always be tainted for that. Do you think BZ would have joined Palace if he was offered a contract there? I really don't think so.

Probably. Mullery was Palace, Coppell was palace, Neil Smlilie was Palace what's the difference? I'm sure there are more examples.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The youtube video which used to show all his goals from his first spell with us, is still there but blocked.

Such a shame, it made incredible viewing. The quality of GM's goals, often completely out of the blue from 1/4 chances when even goalies were shocked, were ridiculously good,

If a NSCer was able to resurrect a similar video, that would be amazing.

To my mind, he was a legend from that first spell alone. GM being immense in this (hopefully) PL promotion season, ending (cliche) 34 years of hurt, has put the icing on the GM cake for me.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Yes - in a word! I was gutted when Poyet sold him....and to them!!!! He was awesome before he left....so so happy he came back!!! But Knockaert and Dunk are current total legends too.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it should be put on record that he wanted 10k a week Poyet didn't think he was worth that so he left.We then signed CMS on 20k a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray wanted £6k a week. Brighton said no. Palace came along and paid him £8k.

To put this into perspective at 2011 pay levels.

Palace paid Ambrose and Spironi £11k each, their highest earners then.

Brighton signed Vicente, CMS, Hoskins and Buckley on £11k to £8k per week, although some thought Vicente might've been paid £15k a week.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Probably. Mullery was Palace, Coppell was palace, Neil Smlilie was Palace what's the difference? I'm sure there are more examples.

Coppell and Smillie are not legends here. They were both great during their spells with us, but not legends. Mullery is..and his short stint at Palace was a source of amusement to many bha fans at the time and protests and boycotts by Palace fans. The fact about Murray is that his 30 goals for them, some against us, led them to where they are now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes - in a word! I was gutted when Poyet sold him....and to them!!!! He was awesome before he left....so so happy he came back!!! But Knockaert and Dunk are current total legends too.

He wasn't sold! He went there for phuck all.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Has anyone anywhere from the club gone on the record with this explanation? Even a fans forums briefing or something like that?

Because Gus went on the record in a back page interview with the Argus while he was manager saying the club refused to authorise the shift in funds from transfer budget to wages budget.

Bloom confirmed at a NWSS meeting that it was Poyet's decision not to pay Murray what hr wanted, and to let him go.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Coppell and Smillie are not legends here. They were both great during their spells with us, but not legends. Mullery is..and his short stint at Palace was a source of amusement to many bha fans at the time and protests and boycotts by Palace fans. The fact about Murray is that his 30 goals for them, some against us, led them to where they are now.

No, I blame Poyet for letting him go to our rivals when he would have stayed here for £100k a year less. As it was we offered him £200k a year less than Palace. A footballers life is a short one and it's not as if he had other sensible offers from other clubs. Poyet did Palace the favour not Murray.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, I blame Poyet for letting him go to our rivals when he would have stayed here for £100k a year less. As it was we offered him £200k a year less than Palace. A footballers life is a short one and it's not as if he had other sensible offers from other clubs. Poyet did Palace the favour not Murray.

The wage difference was more than that. Even Poyet (in effect blaming it on the Board, not himself), said in 2013 that we had a very restricted rigid budget for existing staff pay rises. Whether it was Poyet or the Board, we will have to wait for the GM or TB autobio, Palace ended up paying GM more than double his League One wages.

GM was coming up to 28 years of age then. Who can blame him for securing a contract for his future?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here