Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jools's Annual Hootenanny 2016

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I like his music variety and his showcasing of music that would otherwise be unlikely to be shown on national TV but as a presenter I find him a bit much/not for me. Horses for courses though and a Happy New Year to all

Exactly this. He's a bit of a bumbling presenter, but they showcase some decent music. I'm surprised he's lasted so long.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw Jools Holland and his big band one cold August night in Borde Hill Gardens, myself and friends were not impressed and we left after about half the show in order to escape the parking chaos that would ensue at the end....quite a fair few thought the same so we did have parking chaos getting out anyway.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I saw Jools Holland and his big band one cold August night in Borde Hill Gardens, myself and friends were not impressed and we left after about half the show in order to escape the parking chaos that would ensue at the end....quite a fair few thought the same so we did have parking chaos getting out anyway.

The large number of people at the Brighton Centre to see his show a couple of weeks ago would probably disagree with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The large number of people at the Brighton Centre to see his show a couple of weeks ago would probably disagree with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are called " Fans " every singer and group has them, some more than others. Even Cliff Richard sells out you know ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Roy Wood still sounds great

Sorry......bur no, he never did!

Er, yes he sounded great in The Move in the sixties and seventies particularly on my favourites, Brontosaurus and California Man. Sounded great on Mustard and his solo work and his subsequent work with Wizzard, The Rock and Roll Band and beyond. I went to see Status Quo at The Centre in 2011 just to finally catch up with one of my heroes and Roy didn't disappoint. Granted his daughter took some of the higher parts (but let's face it they are very high) but the the man still rocks.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

With respect [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION], me and the Mrs have been avid fans of JH for years, going to many gigs, especially the annual pilgramage to the Royal Albert Hall with those fantastic acoustics.
Always a treat, especially from one the UK's best musical talents.:thumbsup:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought it was good as ever, but what the **** was Chaka Khan wearing........she looked like a Dominatrix that had popped out of her dungeon leaving some poor sod chained to a wall

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I thought it was good as ever, but what the **** was Chaka Khan wearing........she looked like a Dominatrix that had popped out of her dungeon leaving some poor sod chained to a wall
That's a bit unfair. She did let me down when she eventually got back after the show.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Er, yes he sounded great in The Move in the sixties and seventies particularly on my favourites, Brontosaurus and California Man. Sounded great on Mustard and his solo work and his subsequent work with Wizzard, The Rock and Roll Band and beyond. I went to see Status Quo at The Centre in 2011 just to finally catch up with one of my heroes and Roy didn't disappoint. Granted his daughter took some of the higher parts (but let's face it they are very high) but the the man still rocks.
Fair enough. Matter of opinion, isn't it - I never could stand that high whiney voice.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just watching this now - very enjoyable. Especially Seasick Steve Caravan Palace and Christine and the Queens.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Watching it now, thoroughly enjoyable. Martin Fry was excellent.

Jools Holland is extremely talented - all about taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was looking forward to John Cooper Clarke but when he eventually came on instead of doing his poetry he did his best jazz crooner rendition of "Way Down Yonder in New Orleans" complete with a little slide shoe shuffle.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Quality stuff all round this year, I thought - particularly enjoyed Christine and the Queens, Rag 'n Bone Man, Gregory Porter plus Jools and his big band. Yes, the fella's a bit of a bumbling uncle style of presenter, but that only adds to his charm, for me. Also still great to see Gilson Lavis still going strong on the drums at 65, and Seasick Steve thrashing his homemade guitars at 75 or so. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
With respect [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION], me and the Mrs have been avid fans of JH for years, going to many gigs, especially the annual pilgramage to the Royal Albert Hall with those fantastic acoustics.
Always a treat, especially from one the UK's best musical talents.:thumbsup:

Indeed if you enjoy his style that's fine,but I am not that enamoured with the "Big Band " boogie woogie stuff, but he has changed since he left Squeeze and left me behind.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Fair enough. Matter of opinion, isn't it - I never could stand that high whiney voice.

Difference of opinion indeed and thank goodness for that. Visited the Nufc forums and hardly anybody posts or replies from that hotbed of football.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Roy Wood still sounds great
I never realised he was such a multi instrumentalist. On his first solo album, "Boulders", he played every single instrument himself, apart from one, and i'm not just talking guitars and drums. The instruments he played on that album included as diverse a selection as electric and acoustic guitars, bass, steel guitar, piano, drums, percussion, mandolin, cittern, bouzouki, banjo, cello, double bass, brass, saxophones, bassoon, recorders, harmonica and water bowl. The only instrument he didn't play which was used on the album was the harmonium. As well as also doing all the vocals, lead, backing and harmonies he also did the album cover artwork.
Having said this I haven't actually heard the album so can't attest to it's quality or to what level of proficiency all those instruments were played but it was apparently critically well received at the time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here