Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gap Year

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
but that is what society expects of you. So many people fall into the trap of monotony because they are convinced that is what you are meant to do. Do not get me wrong, for some people that is fantastic and they love it but for me, nah, I like to gamble and seek adventure and the excitement of a new challenge.

Agree 100%. I've spoken about the above so many times over the past few years.
If getting into a career, settling down and securing a future works for you, all the thumbs up in the world and good luck with it if it makes you happy!
But for myself (and you), a different approach to everyday life is more rewarding/satisfying.

Enjoy Bucharest!

Great answer, it all hit so close to home because I'm currently at the stage you were at when you were working a career job. My biggest fears about being 'nomadic' are growing apart from close friends I have in Brighton and also getting to 40 and thinking 'shit, I should have worked harder in my life to secure an easier future for myself'. That being said, I like your answer and I'll heed the advice.

I first left England at 20 years old (just over 8 years ago), I was scared/nervous/anxious etc, but mostly sad about leaving friends that I'd known since I was a kid.
But, all of those negative emotions disappear radically, as you immerse yourself into a new life and culture, and meet with many other people who think in the exact same way you do, and you really connect with these people.

I still have a small handful of great friends back home, and we meet up once and a while and that's fine, but I've also got some really close friends who I've met around the world, who stay in regular contact, share travel stories and plan new adventures together.
People dotted all over the world right now and are some of the closest friends I could ever have.

What's worse?
A: Travelling, exploring new cultures, meeting tonnes of new people including a plethora of like minded girls, seeing much of the world that 99% of people don't get to see, and having those memories to keep and share for the rest of your life.

B: Or starting a career at say, 21, working your way up to 40, having nice holidays along the way, ending up on a decent salary, probably buy a house in the City you work in, and take that route.

There's no right or wrong answer, it's subjective.

Personally, I know if I gave up now and got back into the career and rat-race of UK life, I would 1000% regret not seeing and doing more around the world.
But Option B works for most people, there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you're under 30 going by a previous comment, I would suggest putting your career on hold for 1 year, go somewhere 'easy' like Australia or New Zealand, and live the nomadic life for 1 year.
Once your year is up, you'll 100% know which path you want to take. If it's option B (I feel like Morpheus here with the red or blue pill...), you've missed out a year of career progression, but you've gotten a year of life experience that most people will never get, and you'll have awesome memories and stories to tell for the rest of your life.

There's a few of us nomads on the board, Wilko and myself are examples. I've got loads of ideas and tips for you if you decided to venture out for a year, and I'm sure Wilko would too.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Go travelling because everyone back home will admire your sense of adventure and free-spirit whilst in reality you're hanging around exclusively with fellow gap yearers whilst necking cheap local lager for 5 cents and shagging white Western European girls back at the hostel you all found in the Lonely Planet.

This is uncannily accurate. :lolol:

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Thought so, I've worked and lived in all of those resorts for SkiBound, or First Choice as they were back then. I set off in 2001 to do one winter season, 9 winters later I had more unbelievable memories than I could have ever dreamed of, met some amazing people and gained some lifelong friends. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially someone your age :thumbsup:
It might be possible that I could make some inquiries to see where you are on the reserve list, if that's of any help?

That would be brilliant if you could do that! Of course only if it's no trouble to you haha. I would really like an update on the current situation as it all has been slightly unclear so far :)

And yeh, I know a few people who have done it and all of them have said how amazing it is, I'd love to go out.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
A gap year is something I really wanted to do but wasn't able to due to family 'issues' and needing to either get a job and move out or go and live at university (the options I was given by Darling Mother). As a result I am always a bit jealous of people that take a gap year, I am 28, in full time work with a wife and child (and one more on the way) I never thought I would be here. So i would say to make sure you make the most of it or grumpy people like myself will have a go at you.

I guess it all depends on what you personally find interesting. backpacking seems to be the 'thing' to do but I doubt I would have enjoyed it. What I loved was the 'soccer schools' in America that you can go out to and teach at football clubs. A couple of mates went and loved it so much that they went again the next year, it is basically a month or two of playing football and then going out partying. You then also have repping out in the party islands next summer which could be fun.

What I was hoping to do would have been a hybrid of working and then travelling. One friend took 2 years out, worked 6 months, travelled 6 months, came back and did the same again. I often think that I will end up doing my travelling when I am late 30s and the kids are a bit grown up although with number 2 on the way it is more likely to be forties but it is definitely something I would like to do.

All I would say is to try and make sure that you do something, you are in a very lucky position to be able to take the year off so don't waste it sitting around playing computer games. When I interview people and they say they took a year out I always look for someone that did something, if it is travelling then great, if it is work experience then also great. If they say 'I just needed a rest' then it's really not great

Enjoy it and if plans mean you will miss the football season then it doesn't matter. You will get one year like this in your life, the football seasons keep on coming

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is EXACTLY how I feel and I am ten years older that you mate. There have been various points in my life where I have started to think 'I need to settle down'........I then realised that is not what I wanted at all but that is what society expects of you. So many people fall into the trap of monotony because they are convinced that is what you are meant to do. Do not get me wrong, for some people that is fantastic and they love it but for me, nah, I like to gamble and seek adventure and the excitement of a new challenge. In the last 5 years I moved to Kenya, travelled to around 30 new countries, moved to Madrid in August, trying to learn Spanish (badly) and continue to thrive on the thrill of new adventures, I am already making plans for nexy year, I do not know what yet but I will hand my notice in and see what comes up!

It is a bank holiday in Spain tomorrow and Friday so I have just booked to fly to Bucharest. New country and early flight so need to get some kip! Night all :)

Good points.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
[MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] giving this post a thumbs up has just broken my irony meter.

You commenting from the urban melting pot of chandlers ford shatters mine # smug middle class convictions never ever tested

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
A gap year is something I really wanted to do but wasn't able to due to family 'issues' and needing to either get a job and move out or go and live at university (the options I was given by Darling Mother). As a result I am always a bit jealous of people that take a gap year, I am 28, in full time work with a wife and child (and one more on the way) I never thought I would be here. So i would say to make sure you make the most of it or grumpy people like myself will have a go at you.

I guess it all depends on what you personally find interesting. backpacking seems to be the 'thing' to do but I doubt I would have enjoyed it. What I loved was the 'soccer schools' in America that you can go out to and teach at football clubs. A couple of mates went and loved it so much that they went again the next year, it is basically a month or two of playing football and then going out partying. You then also have repping out in the party islands next summer which could be fun.

What I was hoping to do would have been a hybrid of working and then travelling. One friend took 2 years out, worked 6 months, travelled 6 months, came back and did the same again. I often think that I will end up doing my travelling when I am late 30s and the kids are a bit grown up although with number 2 on the way it is more likely to be forties but it is definitely something I would like to do.

All I would say is to try and make sure that you do something, you are in a very lucky position to be able to take the year off so don't waste it sitting around playing computer games. When I interview people and they say they took a year out I always look for someone that did something, if it is travelling then great, if it is work experience then also great. If they say 'I just needed a rest' then it's really not great

Enjoy it and if plans mean you will miss the football season then it doesn't matter. You will get one year like this in your life, the football seasons keep on coming

Why couldn't you just take a gap year between university and work ?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Why couldn't you just take a gap year between university and work ?

Not always that easy.

I had no money as my work during uni had only been to get through and I left uni after the second year as I had never really been that interested in going. If I had gone i would have come back near to homeless.

However, it led to a lot of things that I am massively grateful for, I met my wife in the var we worked in, a year after I left uni I became a Dad, that gave me the drive to do as well as i could, then got a couple of lucky career breaks that have led me to where I am now, with a good job that is well paid for little stress, have a nice house and a lovely family. I may not have got that had I gone away.

I have still travelled a bit and seen a lot of Scandinavia and South Africa so I haven't missed out completely

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not read ALL of the thread all that closely [MENTION=26348]tomfitz12[/MENTION] but I would say that when the time finally comes to leave the cloistered world of academia, you may well be quizzed by prospective employers on what you did in your Gap Year. So maybe best have some vaguely noble enterprise ready as an answer. Or if you say something vague about world travelling, be prepared to back it up by way of stamps in your passport.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Not always that easy.

I had no money as my work during uni had only been to get through and I left uni after the second year as I had never really been that interested in going. If I had gone i would have come back near to homeless.

However, it led to a lot of things that I am massively grateful for, I met my wife in the var we worked in, a year after I left uni I became a Dad, that gave me the drive to do as well as i could, then got a couple of lucky career breaks that have led me to where I am now, with a good job that is well paid for little stress, have a nice house and a lovely family. I may not have got that had I gone away.

I have still travelled a bit and seen a lot of Scandinavia and South Africa so I haven't missed out completely

Ah, I thought you had finished university.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
At the end of the day we all choose different paths, there's no definitive right or wrong answer. I lived abroad and followed the seasons for nearly a decade, and bloody enjoyable it was too. Eventually I grew tired of living out of bags and temporary accommodation so made the decision to come home and join the rat race, it's one of those things, you just know when it's time. I have lots of friends who took a similar path, most of whom now have very good careers and have integrated themselves successfully into society, I don't think anyone should be made to believe that traveling or working abroad is effectively writing off your future.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
What's worse?
A: Travelling, exploring new cultures, meeting tonnes of new people including a plethora of like minded girls, seeing much of the world that 99% of people don't get to see, and having those memories to keep and share for the rest of your life.

B: Or starting a career at say, 21, working your way up to 40, having nice holidays along the way, ending up on a decent salary, probably buy a house in the City you work in, and take that route.

Worth considering that there are numerous possibilities and options which exist between these two extremes. I remember once reading an interview with a nurse who worked in palliative care, she listed the top 10 things people spoke about on their deathbeds. The top spot was regrets about their working life and how they'd channeled their existence that way.

I also know of a few folk who have chosen the first option. One in particular isn't having a great time of it, he's knocking on a bit and regrets not being a bit more stable in his outlook. I won't go into his situation but suffice to say it's not pleasant.

In short don't restrict yourself in thinking that life's options are akin to Jez or Mark from Peep Show. There's fun to be had in the middle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here