Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local firm making 'best headphones in the world' - kickstarter

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
It can't hurt to contact them (I believe you have to do this through Kickstarter), but for what its worth I was a relatively early backer and only got mine a week ago today, so if they are shipping in order of the date you backed them it may be a little while yet. I think you'll find they are worth the wait when you get them....

Cheers Shirty. I might give it a couple more days then...I think I was a pretty late backer.
Just want them before I go away at the end of July.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How much have u all paid for these?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Still not delivered here in BN7...
Thoughts ??? Should I contact them? Advice appreciated.

Reading through the comments a few 'locals' still have't got theirs, mine were shipped to my BN2 address and arrived last week. I was a 'super early backer' but I think the list Flare got from Kickstarter was in a random order, not in order of backers.

No harm in contacting them.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

I contacted them and collected in person from Lancing as I wanted them by a certain date. Email
tom@flareaudio.com
quote your name, order & backer number (found at top of your kickstarter pledge page I think) if you fancy doing the same.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I was listening over the weekend to a Laura Marling track from her last but one release and there is external road digging type noise coming through, that my hi-fi and more importantly my Bose Quiet comforts don't pick up. Truly these Flare R2As are superb beasts.....love em....

TNBA

TTF

Jul 7, 2003

I signed up towards the end and don't have mine yet either although I am still getting the emails. They are shipping regularly so I'm sure they won't be long.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
£79 for the R2A BLACK (SUPER EARLY BACKER)
That seems like a lot of money for a shot in the dark at some earphones. I'm glad those that have received them are happy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes indeed, and that was the 'cheap' option for getting in early, the same headphones were £119 otherwise through kickstarter with a MSRP of £175. They go up to £400!
How come so many of you bought some, can you not buy decent headphones for £40, or do you all know the technicality of headphones so much that you knew these were the best thing ever?

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
How come so many of you bought some, can you not buy decent headphones for £40, or do you all know the technicality of headphones so much that you knew these were the best thing ever?

You're quite right you can get some decent IEMs around the £40-£50 mark, I've had some Sennheiser and Shure IEMs and they sounded great, the problem is that they seem to last 2-3 years and the cable starts to fall apart. My latest pair are starting to fail so I was looking for a new set anyway when this cropped up. What sold me is the replaceable cable (although the replacement cable is excessive at £35) coupled with the pre-production reviews where the r2a was beating JH16 IEMs that cost 10 times as much.

So having received mine I can say that they sound incredible (believe the hype). My only gripe is the significant metal box that the single jack cable goes into that splits into each ear piece. It's fine if you are sitting down, but walking around this bounces around and tugs at the ear piece with a dull thud feeling of sound. Not sure if the metal box houses components, if not then it’s a pointless addition and a nuisance. I’ve worked around it by clipping the cable to my shirt to stop it moving when on the move.

Overall best £79 pair of headphones you’ll likely see.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
You're quite right you can get some decent IEMs around the £40-£50 mark, I've had some Sennheiser and Shure IEMs and they sounded great, the problem is that they seem to last 2-3 years and the cable starts to fall apart. My latest pair are starting to fail so I was looking for a new set anyway when this cropped up. What sold me is the replaceable cable (although the replacement cable is excessive at £35) coupled with the pre-production reviews where the r2a was beating JH16 IEMs that cost 10 times as much.

So having received mine I can say that they sound incredible (believe the hype). My only gripe is the significant metal box that the single jack cable goes into that splits into each ear piece. It's fine if you are sitting down, but walking around this bounces around and tugs at the ear piece with a dull thud feeling of sound. Not sure if the metal box houses components, if not then it’s a pointless addition and a nuisance. I’ve worked around it by clipping the cable to my shirt to stop it moving when on the move.

Overall best £79 pair of headphones you’ll likely see.

I agree with the bit about the metal box - it's quite heavy and drags the ear piece if you're on the move. As you say, you need to fasten the cable to yourself to prevent this.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I agree with the bit about the metal box - it's quite heavy and drags the ear piece if you're on the move. As you say, you need to fasten the cable to yourself to prevent this.

I'm wearing them over ear and the weight of the splitter box makes sense and works well. Reccomend people try the same before tampering with the box (which can be removed I believe).

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
Lost one of the foam tips off of my pair. :ffsparr:
Any ideas where I can get a replacement? Already checked the official site...
Cheers

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Mine came unmarked left or right, so I've marked them up (discreetly of course). The basic pair. They sound very good indeed. Got the two for one deal so keeping a pair in case I stand on them / tear a cable out etc. Bass is very good. Not boomy, but full and correct. Mids and highs very accurate. I'd rate them very highly. Higher than some £150 Phonaks 132's I have which have been my favourites for the last three years.

Main issue I have is fitting them in as the body of them is small and hard to get purchase on. Fnarr. Cables seem thin, but very little microphonics / interference from them when worn over the ears. Yes the metal square weighs a tiny bit too much but as the units are so light you sort of need this when worn over the ear to keep everything in place. Because of the fitment issue I'd say not for jogging etc. But otherwise, brilliant for the deal.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Mine came unmarked left or right, so I've marked them up (discreetly of course). The basic pair. They sound very good indeed. Got the two for one deal so keeping a pair in case I stand on them / tear a cable out etc. Bass is very good. Not boomy, but full and correct. Mids and highs very accurate. I'd rate them very highly. Higher than some £150 Phonaks 132's I have which have been my favourites for the last three years.

Main issue I have is fitting them in as the body of them is small and hard to get purchase on. Fnarr. Cables seem thin, but very little microphonics / interference from them when worn over the ears. Yes the metal square weighs a tiny bit too much but as the units are so light you sort of need this when worn over the ear to keep everything in place. Because of the fitment issue I'd say not for jogging etc. But otherwise, brilliant for the deal.

The metal square should have the L/R marking on it.

Jul 7, 2003

On mine, the left/right ear is marked on the metal weight - did yours not come that way?

Agree with your comments on the sound and can really notice the difference on some tracks. I don't find the metal weight an issue - maybe it depends on use / height - but it does work in stopping the wires from getting tangled up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here