Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You forgot again. How a drug could get approved if the staff don’t exist in the UK?

Are really that daft, so the UK cannot recruit staff, it makes you wonder how anyone or anything outside of the EU functions, what would you do if you were the UK ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So, to summarise, you don't know anything about what's being discussed, but you bet it will be all ok.

If you simply made this your footer, you could save yourself a lot of typing over the next few months.

Its an absurdity to think that the UK might become the 'Wild West of medicine' due to Brexit, or the supply chain will somehow dry up, its project fear at its worst.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are really that daft, so the UK cannot recruit staff, it makes you wonder how anyone or anything outside of the EU functions, what would you do if you were the UK ?
We'll throw money at it, surely.

No doubt paying a big contract to the people who currently do the work, and spinning the news of this.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What most likely to happen after Brexit then??

If the EMA won't communicate with the MHRA, I guess the drug manufacturers will be quite happy to supply full details of their approval for use in the EU to the UK authorities. They will still want to sell their products in the UK after all.
At the end of the day, it's big business, not politics, and big business usually finds a way.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fine, then you seem not to agree with HT that pharmaceutical Armageddon is an likely outcome due to Brexit.

We can just add it to all the other departments and public bodies which will need to recruit, train and manage huge new numbers of staff, offices, infrastructure and computer systems in the next 16 months.

Tick, tock indeed

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We can just add it to all the other departments and public bodies which will need to recruit, train and manage huge new numbers of staff, offices, infrastructure and computer systems in the next 16 months.
Yes, it's appalling - we'll have to re-deploy some of the people currently working to implement EU law, and dealing with other matters relating to our membership of the EU. They won't like that - at least, those that voted to remain won't...........................

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, it's appalling - we'll have to re-deploy some of the people currently working to implement EU law, and dealing with other matters relating to our membership of the EU. They won't like that - at least, those that voted to remain won't...........................

Brilliant - I didn't realise that we mirrored all the EU jobs with our own BRITISH team. You should have mentioned it earlier :facepalm:

Maybe we can forget about the extra 2 years membership that we are trying to get and just re-assign existing staff. (Those who survived the austerity cuts) :lolol:

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Tick, tock indeed

Yes change, things are changing, recruitment might be needed, money might need to be spent, but you cannot post up an example of something as bound to fail whilst not acknowledging the UK's likelihood of ensuring that will not fail.

Argue the toss about cost, bureaucracy, recruitment or whatever floats your boat, but to post an inevitable pharmaceutical Armageddon is plain daft and project fear at its most ignorant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes change, things are changing, recruitment might be needed, money might need to be spent, but you cannot post up an example of something as bound to fail whilst not acknowledging the UK's likelihood of ensuring that will not fail.

Argue the toss about cost, bureaucracy, recruitment or whatever floats your boat, but to post an inevitable pharmaceutical Armageddon is plain daft and project fear at its most ignorant.

You were telling people from that industry that they were wrong but you still haven't explained how it would work ?

Bit like my experience is with large corporates, government departments, and politicians which is why I am now highlighting the problems in those areas and why I think we will extend our membership beyond the 2 further years we've already requested. I wonder what is your area of expertise that 'floats your boat' ?

But back to the medical industry - what's your solution ?

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You were telling people from that industry that they were wrong but you still haven't explained how it would work ?

Bit like my experience is with large corporates, government departments, and politicians which is why I am now highlighting the problems in those areas and why I think we will extend our membership beyond the 2 further years we've already requested.

I was telling HT who is a committed Remainer and seems to think that the UK is incapable of most things and those posters on here that immediately accept any morsel of impending UK gloom that it is absurd to think that Brexit is likely to cause the outcomes he suggested, HT didn't once offer a view of how these things might be mitigated, it was his usual wallowing of UK incompetence and Brexiteers ignorance and it's all so predictable.

Change is happening, Brexit will involve some challenges, but to think the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world is unable to find solutions to pharmaceutical supply seems unlikely.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was telling HT who is a committed Remainer and seems to think that the UK is incapable of most things and those posters on here that immediately accept any morsel of impending UK gloom that it is absurd to think that Brexit is likely to cause the outcomes he suggested, HT didn't once offer a view of how these things might be mitigated, it was his usual wallowing of UK incompetence and Brexiteers ignorance and it's all so predictable.

Change is happening, Brexit will involve some challenges, but to think the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world is unable to find solutions to pharmaceutical supply seems unlikely.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I agree with the point that solutions will be found, of course they will. It’s how long it takes to find them and the cost implications that are worrying. This government doesn’t seem to have any idea what they are doing are they are in charge of finding these solutions.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I agree with the point that solutions will be found, of course they will. It’s how long it takes to find them and the cost implications that are worrying. This government doesn’t seem to have any idea what they are doing are they are in charge of finding these solutions.

I doubt whether the government is as inept as you say, I suspect that there is an army of highly skilled civil servants that will unpick most regulation and deliver positive outcomes within time frames that don't adversely effect stuff.

I do agree that it is a valid position to challenge costs and implementation times if you think these exists, but that wasn't how HT instigated this debate.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No one has been abused for having an Italian mother, they are getting some stick for telling us all so frequently, likewise no one has been abusive about anyones medical condition, there is a disagreement on the effect Brexit may have on treatment of Cancer and other conditions. I and others believe it could cause delays and increase costs, particularly for new treatments coming to the UK, and could cause treatments for rarer diseases to not reach us at all.
By having the EMA approve treatments for all member states, conditions that affect only 1 in 100,000, which would be not financially interesting for most Pharma companies if they had to apply for 28 licenses, suddenly become worth looking at. It also reduces the cost of approval for use, which should result in a reduced price on the market. If we are outside of this, we would be asking Pharma companies to pay for trials just for the UK market, adding to their cost and therefore the price, and for rarer disease, even if they have a drug which they know will get through trials, it may not be financially viable for them to do so, if the numbers of people requiring the treatment are small.
Then there is the ability to fund services, but that is just project fear nonsense I would guess.

I find it odd that you claim nobody has been abused for having an ITALIAN mother-how did you manage to choose that particular nationality?Why someone should specifically target medical drugs for cancer,knowing a fellow poster has it,if not intending to cause distress,to the extent of continuing after they had that information again.Groovy gang at their worst again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i agree with that to a point - the government isnt being seen to be doing much. they do have several 10000s of staff with hundreds in a department dedicated to this. there are further quasi-government and industry bodies researching and providing papers on this. the trouble is the politicians are still fighting over the result and in some cases making cheap party political points, last night a couple of MPs were on TV and one made a good point to begin then regressed back to argument over whether we should/could leave or not. not about the how, but whether it should happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
there's another legitimate option you ignore, call it 1.5. MHRA cooperates with EMA, signing off EMA approved drugs are suitable for UK. you dont need to apply EU law to do this.

another point that MHRA wont have the staff to handle regulation seems overstated. its a larger organisation than EMA to begin, and neither are directly involved in trials and evaluations which occur out in the hospitals etc by drug companies and third parties. depending on where EMA moves to there may be an large number of staff from EMA who dont want to relocate (likely 30% staff by their own estimates).

Are you suggesting, for your 1.5, that the UK simply accepts another body’s recommendation? Or have I misunderstood?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My definition of ignorant is talking about things you don’t have a clue about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here