Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
And i was pointing out that a war between the countries in the EU was extremely unlikely anyway because of the existence of nuclear weapons. It was also claimed that the EU brought stability and peace to Europe (not just EU members) yet Yugoslavia still had their war, so the point was valid.

- Would you like to buy an anti volcano rock / pebble? - It obviously works because there isn't a volcano there despite being in Brighton for around 50 years and it must surely be down to it's existence or presence, surely there can 't be any other explanations to explain the outcome now can there?

A cursory glance at European history will show we are in a period of great peace. i wouldn't draw the same conclusions that nuclear weapons is the reason, but hey, this referendum has taught me many things

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
this just sounds like name calling. Out of interest were the people of India who wanted independence 'Little Indians' ? I can understand wishing to be a member of the EU but there really is no need to ridicule those with whom you disagree.

Not the best example, India.

They were, in essence, controlled by an Imperialist nation. Their fight for Independence was a totally different situation.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cameron made so many mistakes: calling the referendum now in the first place when he could have waited two years; not ensuring that non UK residents who could vote actually registered; not giving 16-17 year olds the vote.

Perhaps the biggest mistake of all was not to provide a 55% threshold for Leave. That would have been reasonable IMO given the uncertainty a Leave vote creates. Imagine the uproar if, say 600k people voted the other way and Leave won by a whisker.

Looks like another sore 'democratic' loser. Over 1 million people wanted out. That is Wembley filled 11 times plus. That is a lot of people. The first past the post is the most democratic way of voting (for normal people).

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Seriously ask the leavers what they are expecting to actually happen now? - loads of new money spent on NHS? no that will be spent of bailing out Wales who will now lose their net financial benefit of being in EU and will need rest of UK to cover shortfall, removal of all immigrants from our shores and no more to arrive - was never going to happen, a brand new UK farming and fishery policy..ah no as Europe still going to be our main market so we will still have to adhere to their policies in order to sell to them....safer UK....nearly all recent terrorist attacks in UK by UK nationals.....etc etc etc

The same question to those that wanted to remain . More of the same shite that pissed of 17.4 million people to vote leave get over it .

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Proud to be a little Englander....... some people voted leave for no other reason than they wish to have sovereignty.

I voted for sovereignty, I care not about immigration, very low on my list of priorities. Our economy will adjust to the importance we have in the world, maybe good, maybe not, but we'll adjust. I think many just hate change. I find it quite exciting. And we got rid of that odious pairing of Cameron and Osborne. Win, win!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No more weird than for "Banter" as I've seen.

Which sadly backs up sims view on people shouldn't be allowed to vote on issues like this as we can't be trusted.
It's frightening that these people are allowed to vote on anything, but we can't give up democracy just because we have a few weirdos. Of course I understand Simster's point - we vote for and then employ professionals to make decisions for us - but if those professionals were really any good and if remaining in was the best decision, those professionals should have been able to convince the voters.

We also need to take into account the personal biased views of MPs. What they want might not always reflect what the people want. I think it was right to let the people decide on this one issue. Of course I understand Simster isn't happy with the result, so he's not happy that we were allowed to choose it. Some people will lose their job because of this decision, some will lose their home, there will be some very unhappy people.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Please re-consider the use of this language. A friend of mine who voted 'leave' has been extremely upset by some of the jibes that have indirectly headed his way. It's becoming a bit entrenched among those who voted to stay to suggest that somehow large proportions of the population lack intelligence and are somehow inferior. This may well not be your own personal intention, but statements like that feed in to the general pool of condescension towards those who took the other option.

Well said. Some on the Remain side are not covering themselves in glory with many of their belittling sneering threads/posts.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's becoming a bit entrenched among those who voted to stay to suggest that somehow large proportions of the population lack intelligence and are somehow inferior. Some claims are divisive and feed in to the general pool of condescension towards those who took the other option. This is not the way forward. To suggest that all those who voted leave are inherently racist is at best opportunistic and at worse a wilful and demeaning lie.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
In this country we resolved our issues through the ballot box not by kicking off as other countries do, in time you will see that the decision right or wrong was done in a fair and democratic way and as we have always done the fair and descent people of this country will get on with the job in hand.
The reasons for change may not be apparent now but in time it will be looked upon as a good day for all in this country, as having control of your own destiny is far better than being dictated to by someone you had no hand in representing you.

Apart from millions of voters being influenced the Sun and Mail?

Future elections should restrict all newspapers to reporting only-not allowing people like Murdoch to influence the gullible.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We have a 3 billion(?) population Commonwealth desperate to do business with us. Growing economies, not stagnant and/or shrinking. Exciting times.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Apart from millions of voters being influenced the Sun and Mail?

Future elections should restrict all newspapers to reporting only-not allowing people like Murdoch to influence the gullible.

Do you really take us all for mugs? You are the 'little Englander' my friend.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. I meant the EU leaders who gave absolutely no concessions to Cameron. They thought we were bluffing. They could have prevented this, they chose not to.
Ah, you should have said :)

Although I didn't mind the concessions he came away with, I generally agree with you about their lack of respect for the people of Europe.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
After day 1 of social media hatred from the IN campaign I have decided to take the General Election route of 2015 and smile smugly at these losers. :)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm neither a leaver nor a remainer. I would like to see a free trade agreement and visa-free travel. The right to live and work in EU countries, and vice-versa, should be assessed as per the Australian model; the ability to financially support yourself and the level of skills that you bring to the workforce. This doesn't mean that only highly educated/skilled people would be allowed in. The desirability of the skills you provide would depend on the needs of the country's economy. For example, summer fruit pickers maybe, depending on the availability of local labour to perform the work, car washers in supermarket carparks almost certainly not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here