Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The central one, never mind,thought id ask,cheers anyway

This helps as in know the Marrienenplatz area, in Kreuzberg, well. I'll keep an eye out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interesting review, must check out Burger Bros. And well done on raising the issue of how they're cooked. I find the issue of rare burgers frustrating. I actually know a place here which refuses to serve their burgers any more cooked than medium.

You really should do BB - fine fine burgers. Alternatively, if you'd like a decent burger with a beer then The Eagle is well worth a visit. Love their lamb burger and Mrs W swears their chicken and bacon burger is the best she's ever had.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You really should do BB - fine fine burgers. Alternatively, if you'd like a decent burger with a beer then The Eagle is well worth a visit. Love their lamb burger and Mrs W swears their chicken and bacon burger is the best she's ever had.

I will make a special trip next time I'm in town; I have to. I know [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION] very well and trust yours and his judgement on these matters. I'll report back. I really like Trolls so I'm looking forward to this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I manage to sneak a trip to Burger Bros every month or so, which is another way of saying, it's a thumbs-up from me too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Need advice on good restaurant in London for girlfriends birthday next Monday.

Not looking for super fancy, but more good eats in casual ish setting. Have done Pollen Street Social, M.A.S.H recentlyish and enjoyed. Any style is fine.

Also what is Hawksmoor like ? I've strangely never been and have heard they are struggling with supply of meat and consistency but could be hearsay.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also what is Hawksmoor like ? I've strangely never been and have heard they are struggling with supply of meat and consistency but could be hearsay.

Ive on,y been once, to the Spitalfields one. If you like steaks you won't be disappointed; it's as good as it gets IMHO. Can't comment on current meat supply though

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Need advice on good restaurant in London for girlfriends birthday next Monday.

Not looking for super fancy, but more good eats in casual ish setting. Have done Pollen Street Social, M.A.S.H recentlyish and enjoyed. Any style is fine.

If you like places like Pollen St - serious cooking without the formal service - then Dabbous would be a good bet, but can be difficult to get in if you are going at prime time. I also really like Arbutus in Frith St.

I have been going to the various Hawksmoors for almost ten years. They have always been fine but not special; I am not someone who really appreciates the fetishisation of steak so perhaps I am not the target market (and before you ask, I have always gone at the invitation of someone else.)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you like places like Pollen St - serious cooking without the formal service - then Dabbous would be a good bet, but can be difficult to get in if you are going at prime time. I also really like Arbutus in Frith St.

I thought Dabbous was just a little off their game the last time I went - they needed to decide which was more important to them, the restaurant or the cocktail bar in the basement. The first two times however, they were excellent; so it might have just been a one-off thing. Arbutus is very good - never had a bad meal there.

I'd add Amaya and the Ledbury (though the latter may just be a tad formal?) to the list.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I have been going to the various Hawksmoors for almost ten years. They have always been fine but not special; I am not someone who really appreciates the fetishisation of steak so perhaps I am not the target market (and before you ask, I have always gone at the invitation of someone else.)

Cheers! Arbutus came up at work for a few London residents but missus didn't fancy 'English' and was struggling for tables next Monday anyway. Maybe soon...

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Done a couple of nice places this weekend for my girlfriends birthday. 24 George street on Friday night, pretty pricy and potions were not too big but very nice food.

Went to the ginger fox today for lunch which was outstanding. Been there twice now and both times were unreal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Done a couple of nice places this weekend for my girlfriends birthday. 24 George street on Friday night, pretty pricy and potions were not too big but very nice food.

Went to the ginger fox today for lunch which was outstanding. Been there twice now and both times were unreal.

Ive heard good things about 24 George Street. I must go. Where is?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Polpo's shit, cramped and full of hipsters.

Can't speak for the one in Brighton, but the one in London is exactly this. Oh, and the food is bang average too. And tepid. And not value for money. Otherwise, it's fine.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Can't speak for the one in Brighton, but the one in London is exactly this. Oh, and the food is bang average too. And tepid. And not value for money. Otherwise, it's fine.

I imagine the London one is a scaled-up version.
The food is fine (I was a little unfair previously) but not worth the price and you share the restaurant with the most tragic of society.
Pitcher & Piano in restaurant form.

You don't seem to be a fan.

TSB recommends Plateau.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I imagine the London one is a scaled-up version.
The food is fine (I was a little unfair previously) but not worth the price and you share the restaurant with the most tragic of society.
Pitcher & Piano in restaurant form.

You don't seem to be a fan.

TSB recommends Plateau.

Plateau in Canary Wharf, or the one in Brighton? Have been to neither...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Plateau in Canary Wharf, or the one in Brighton? Have been to neither...

Why would [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] want to go to Canary Wharf when he lives down these parts?
I've been to Polpo twice and, for the most part, thought it was very good (with their flank, field mushroom and porcini cream dish being much, much better than that). It seems to be carving a niche in the upper-mid market category, and doing it very well. Most reports I've heard are very favourable. It's relaxed, flexible, and well executed, with good service. I really don't see it as trying to be anything more than that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why would @TSB want to go to Canary Wharf when he lives down these parts?
I've been to Polpo twice and, for the most part, thought it was very good (with their flank, field mushroom and porcini cream dish being much, much better than that). It seems to be carving a niche in the upper-mid market category, and doing it very well. Most reports I've heard are very favourable. It's relaxed, flexible, and well executed, with good service. I really don't see it as trying to be anything more than that.

Well, we were talking about our relative experiences in Polpo in Brighton and London, and I was just seeking clarity over whether he was offering an alternative to Polpo in London or Brighton, given that Google reported a restaurant named Plateau in both places. I grant you that my question made the assumption that [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] had in fact visited London at some point, but I considered that a fair bet. :wink:

I'm glad your experience of Polpo was better than mine - but my two visits (London only) have both been really poor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
24-25 St Georges Road,Kemp Town Village, Brighton, BN2 1ED

I would say the Ginger Fox is better. But well worth going to 24 George Street

That was meant to be a joke. I'm not having any joy with my "humour" at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here