Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

e-cash goes at end of this season. Do you use it?

Do you use e-cash?

• No

Votes: 89 34.5%
  • Yes, but only occasionally

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Yes, from time to time

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • Yes, nearly all the time

Votes: 133 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I stopped using it last year when it wouldn't update any money I put on, plus I don't spend much money at the stadium anymore.

The same for me. When it started it meant a cup of tea was £1.62 instead of £1.80 and a pint of Harveys £3.24, not a lot more than in some pubs. It meant I was willing to buy tea before a game in the stadium, but once the discount went and the price went up to £2.10 I went to the Runaway on Lewes Station or the one outside Falmer Station instead. I still get (or get bought) the occasional beer, though not so much now as I drive to the Bridge. Now, the hassle of topping up E-cash means I just pay full whack if I want a drink. No pies, for the sake of keeping my spare tyre reasonably small.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Same here, a bit annoyed as ecash has worked fine for me. Even though I have an American Express card, its not contactless but as I'm due a new one in September perhaps it will be then. My only problem is I have to spend my £50+ credit before the end of the season and I can't make the evening games so it looks like I will be stuffing pies when I am. :annoyed:
Buy something in the shop for 50 quid, change your mind about it. Ask for a refund.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Use it every game, its so easy, automatically tops up instantly. Contactless will take longer as I often spend more than £20 in a transaction so will have to pin it now. Never once used cash in the stadium, I rarely carry much more than a few pounds, unless I'm off to an away game.

Edit: Apparently its going up to £30 soon

Last edited:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
This bit is a bit naughty, presume the club is trousering all e-cash that isn't claimed at the end of the season:censored::censored: I imagine the sales are going down at the moment with smaller actual attendances and the system costs them a few quid. Yesterday there were noticeably less people purchasing beer etc in WSU before the game.

The club will continue to remind those fans with ecash funds of the impending changes - but those with balances of £10 or more at the end of the season will be eligible to apply for a refund by cheque. The club will not be able to offer or process any refunds after 31 May 2015.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Stick money on it every payday and find it much more convinient than taking cash. Never had a problem with it. Shame it's going.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I always use my season ticket to pay (ecard)
Very disappointed with this. I don't have a contactless card and don't intend on getting one.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't have a contactless card and don't intend on getting one.

I am sure your bank will provide you with a contactless debit card whether you like it or not

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I am sure your bank will provide you with a contactless debit card whether you like it or not

My bank will automatically send me a contactless card when my existing one runs out, but that is 4 years away.

Personally I like using the ecash as it means I don't have to bring my wallet with me to the Amex, just my ST.

SirGully

Jul 26, 2013
Some of the dissapointment on here is laughable. Who would only take a season ticket out, take a wallet like a normal person and guess what, it can hold multiple cards and you wont even notice the difference

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Use it all the time, but dislike contactless payment cards intensely as view these as pure cash if stolen as no pin security. Therefore as dont use, bank should see as fraudulent use.

Will have to revert back to cash for the new season if I can be bothered to queue.

Me also, if every purchaser hands over a £20 note for every transaction, how is this going to speed things up at the till, will be a bugger if they run out of change.
I for one will not use a contactless card.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I use eCash for all purchases at the stadium and generally leave my wallet at home.

I've got a card with the contactless symbol on it, but can't say I've ever managed to get it to work.

I imagine the reduction in use is purely down to the reduction in the cash back to basically nothing (I can't remember any purchase qualifying since they changed to time zones). I really wonder if anyone at the club actually understands the elasticity of the demand.

I must remember to cancel my auto top up and spend my cash before the end of the season, too!

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Some of the dissapointment on here is laughable. Who would only take a season ticket out, take a wallet like a normal person and guess what, it can hold multiple cards and you wont even notice the difference

Honestly, I am not that bothered. However, it will inevitably take longer for each transaction by asking for change or entering PIN's. Only a few seconds, but for almost every transaction. I don't believe that contactless transactions are as widely used as the club is suggesting. I hope that I'm wrong.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Chief executive Paul Barber said, "Contactless payment is now commonplace in everyday life and, with much quicker transaction times, we expect this to speed up our catering service significantly in busy periods such as half time.

It has never been the payment point causing any issues PB, more the 'How do I pour a Guinness'? and 'What is a Hot-Dog'?.

Brilliant!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Use it all the time, but dislike contactless payment cards intensely as view these as pure cash if stolen as no pin security. Therefore as dont use, bank should see as fraudulent use.

Will have to revert back to cash for the new season if I can be bothered to queue.

The banks encourage contactless payment, so they will cover any fraudulent use. That's why it's limited to £20 per transaction, so they can't lose much. As they will know your usual usage patterns, they will recognise the change of pattern with a fraudster. It's so easy to use and some providers give cashback on contactless use. Try it sometime. Despite your fears, the banks are not out to get you with contactless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here