Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG and CMS

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Two players who have an understanding are worth three players whom don't - give them both a chance together for a few games and see what happens, even if just as a plan B

Good idea, but I would rather we got ourselves a bit further up the table before we started experimenting!

But maybe CMS or COG coming off the bench with the other one staying on, assuming a winning position, for say the last 20 minutes could be the Plan B. :)

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Sorry, but don't reckon on all of this over-re-evaluation of COG and CMS. However nice blokes they might be, they're League One players and need replacing.

I agree with these comments, they seem like nice blokes, however, we've seen enough of CMS now to know he is not the required standard for a team that is looking to get promoted. Those who think he'd prosper in a 442 are deluded. COG offers a bit of physical presence & we'd do need someone like him, but better.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It could be true that there is worth in keeping COG to come off of the bench and provide something different, but i can't see him starting many games when teams are generally on their toes and space is limited. If he's content with that, and we're happy to pay his wage to put in the odd appearance here and there, then fine, but to announce him to be answer to our problems is the same as saying that Nathan Jones should be our fulltime manager purely on having drawn at home and won one away. Silly. We need greater firepower, and the pair of workhorses of different sizes we have aren't the solution. I like them enough, but someone Ulloa-esque needs to come our way.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sorry, but don't reckon on all of this over-re-evaluation of COG and CMS. However nice blokes they might be, they're League One players and need replacing.

Spot on - one of the reasons we're in the sorry league position we find ourselves in! - both are Lge1 players and not nearly good enough for regular Championship strikers unless of course we are planning for league 1 next season!?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Seen enough of both of them to form a firm opinion. And that opinion is that neither player is good enough for this level. It's the same opinion a huge majority on here shared until the feelgood factor associated with a change of manager and a couple of decent results appears to have caused a worrying number of people to have taken leave of their senses.

How can you possibly have seen enough of COG to judge? He's had 13 apps, the majority as late subs under a manager that clearly didn't rate him.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How can you possibly have seen enough of COG to judge? He's had 13 apps, the majority as late subs under a manager that clearly didn't rate him.

and often out of position (too wide) and/or with zero support

I'm not advocating he's the answer to our problems at all but we should give the fella a chance

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
COG's goal was superb, his body movement sent the defender the wrong way sliding on his ar5e and out of the game, and then he slipped the ball perfectly pass the keeper. His cool head and composure made the goal look easier than it was.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Guess some folk need longer than others to judge a player :shrug:

What's that got to do with anything? It's down to the player to prove the manager wrong.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I didn't go to Fulham, but I watched COG at Brentford and he was really good, it was strange, he linked up well with Baldock and Halford, he was making the right runs into the right positions, he was doing all of the things you'd expect from a target man. CMS might have run around a lot but he simply could not keep hold of the ball, COG however was some sort of bloody magnet for the ball? I've only seen COG play like this once, but those who went to Fulham have seen it twice in quick succession, it may be coincidence, it may be COG is actually a good striker but I guess time will tell. What I am sure of is that if I was picking the team on Saturday, and using the same formation as we played against Brentford, it would be COG in the XI and CMS definitely on the bench. CMS has had enough chances, time to let COG try and prove himself.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Unless COG is going to be a regular in the starting eleven I think we should sell. He said himself in an interview after the Brentford game he doesn't have the physique to be a bit part player. The reason he looks sharper recently is because he got a few games with Sheffield utd. Once he is sat on the bench again for another month his sharpness/fitness will go and he'll yearn to go back up north again getting games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Guess some folk need longer than others to judge a player :shrug:

What's that got to do with anything? It's down to the player to prove the manager wrong.
With respect, the vast majority of the fans think the manager was wrong. That's why he went.
A caretaker manager and an experienced manager have shown a different side to O'Grady.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
With respect, the vast majority of the fans think the manager was wrong. That's why he went.
A caretaker manager and an experienced manager have shown a different side to O'Grady.

Although some seem to think irrelevant add his short spell at Sheff Utd. My mate is a fan and says he was their MOM v Port Vale and their fans (forum) are "suicidal" at the prospect of not getting him back.

It's only L1 but seems we're not allowed to use his 15 goals for Barnsley last season either

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
COG is finally settling, CMS and Baldock will get gametime now Bent has gone. I back Hughton to get something from all 3, but maybe we should get someone like Chris Wood in on loan for the rest of the season, then really look to replace Ulloa early in the summer.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
COG is finally settling, CMS and Baldock will get gametime now Bent has gone. I back Hughton to get something from all 3, but maybe we should get someone like Chris Wood in on loan for the rest of the season, then really look to replace Ulloa early in the summer.

Sorry but if we are relying on those 3 strikers to keep us up we have no chance - they havent done anything to convince me and plenty others they are nearly good enough. Sami should take some flak of course but our strikers have been abysmal all season, so i would be happy if possible to unload all 3 in the Jan window and bring in 2 PROVEN strikers at Champonship level and not rely on our Lge1 strikeforce!

It's been really interesting to see the interview with COG and his post-match comments. Hughton has rightly supported COG in his post-match interview and hopefully will keep him on and persuade him to stay. It's also interesting how COG supported CMS, saying that CMS did the hard work for him at Brentford. There has never been any doubt that CMS is a good and hard working team member. Maybe Hughton needs to consider keeping both in the squad to get the best of of the team? A key question is whether CMS might improve with match fitness and the chance at last to play in a team with 2 up front?

He may have toiled at Brentford but CMS's great pass won us the game at Fulham. I think it's unlikely either have a big future here but it's up to them, looks like they will be given the chance. It's interesting that both Nathan Jones and Chris Hughton started with CMS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here