Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tonight,s EU vote and the margin of defeat ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I doubt the outcome would be different. We would still be voting while under austerity measures. The vast majority of people in this country are struggling to make ends meet as it is under the Tories. They are not going to vote to stay in the EU when in their eyes the EU has been painted as having delivered them nothing. Add to the fact that this time they'll have a government supporting the deal* and an opposition led by Wishy Washy who have no idea whether they are in or out, and you've got a Leave vote.

*Interestingly, should there be a second referendum (which I don't think there will be), what would May campaign for? One assumes, if she has the nation's interests at heart and having seen all the long-term economic indicators she would revert to her old position and campaign to stay - or will she save the Tory party first?

For a second ref May would have to resign.

I cant see it with her in charge, I say in charge....

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I doubt the outcome would be different. We would still be voting while under austerity measures. The vast majority of people in this country are struggling to make ends meet as it is under the Tories. They are not going to vote to stay in the EU when in their eyes the EU has been painted as having delivered them nothing. Add to the fact that this time they'll have a government supporting the deal* and an opposition led by Wishy Washy who have no idea whether they are in or out, and you've got a Leave vote.

*Interestingly, should there be a second referendum (which I don't think there will be), what would May campaign for? One assumes, if she has the nation's interests at heart and having seen all the long-term economic indicators she would revert to her old position and campaign to stay - or will she save the Tory party first?

What is it that makes you think there won't be another referendum?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just stop for a minute and consider the implication of what you’re suggesting.

I’d rather see disorder in the streets, than live in a country who made policy based on veiled threats from bigoted thugs.

Me too.

Hitler was democratically elected. He used the same sort of people and threats of violence to gain and hold power.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.png
It's a shame she didint do the count

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
A second referendum would be a sociopolitical disaster, and destroy the faith in democracy in this country for millions. It must be avoided at all costs.

I'm not sure i understand what a sociopolitical disaster is. How would that manifest itself? As for destroying faith in democracy, i would suggest whatever the outcome that is likely as you say for millions in the country.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To those calling for a second vote......imagine the worst kind of racist, bigoted leave voter.
You are essentially giving people like these license to argue that their opinion has been discarded by a so-called democratic process.
Except they probably will not reasonably argue their points, more likely they will use it as an excuse to initiate violence on your street.
People take general relative peace and safety for granted in this country but it’s not a given.

Yes, I find these people frightening too. The best solution, in my opinion (and I actually wrote this down in a notebook in 1972) is to repatriate all foreigners (and by that I mean all people with dark skin, wherever they were born) right now, no debate, in order to avoid future rivers of blood.

I wrote that when I was 14. Then I decided that perhaps this approach might be a tad unreasonable. A few years later I had my first conversation with a black person, and he spoke English clearly and didn't make any attempt to eat me.

Sorry, the best way to deal with the worst racists and bigots is to grow some and oppose them at every turn. If they kick off, **** 'em. We have a police force and laws.

(There is always an argument for ensuring we have a few racist laws to stop lunatics from attacking people in the street; it is akin to some Islamic ideas that women should cover themselves to stop men raping them. It is indefensible.)

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh well let’s untrusted the next 5 years to this lot then.
Only a died in the wool Tory would consider that they could be any worse than the incompetent tossers we currently have "running" the country. I'm not saying this lightly, but I honestly believe a cabinet made up of Corbyn, O'Donnell and Abbot would do no worse than May, Gove and Grayling - and they wouldn't be so arrogant in office as to treat the opposition with complete contempt until it's too late either.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What is it that makes you think there won't be another referendum?

May wins the no confidence vote. She eyeballs the country and asks what do you want then? My deal or no deal? She makes some window dressing amendments and her deal is reluctantly passed - or we crash out.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I am starting to think a 2nd referendum is the way to go. This time people will know leaving the EU means to them and the country, which no one knew the 1st time around.
I voted leave and although I do not regret voting leave, if the country votes to remain in the EU, I will respect that decision.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
May wins the no confidence vote. She eyeballs the country and asks what do you want then? My deal or no deal? She makes some window dressing amendments and her deal is reluctantly passed - or we crash out.

That may be the case, but my understanding is that the window dressing deal would need agreement by EU. Not sure they would do that. And also as i understand it, there is probably a mechanism within parliament to force no deal off of the table. Either way it is going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just stop for a minute and consider the implication of what you’re suggesting.

I’d rather see disorder in the streets, than live in a country who made policy based on veiled threats from bigoted thugs.

Sure. I agree.
I’m just pointing out a reality.
It seems some people are pushing for a second vote as if the worst that could happen as a result of that , is a robust row on question time .
If a second vote is announced there could be serious consequences. It will open the door to nasty morons to behave like nasty morons.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A second referendum would be a sociopolitical disaster, and destroy the faith in democracy in this country for millions. It must be avoided at all costs.

You see, this is total horse shit. By their very nature referendums do not destroy faith in democracy. They might be ill advised (as we have discovered), but hyperbole like this doesn't help.

I bet that if I said it was a referendum that required something like a 60% vote in favour of staying in the EU in order to overturn the previous referendum result, then those that think we should leave would be up for it.

At the first referendum, there was no deal on the table - which is why that referendum was always advisory, although the Tory party seized it and May turned it into her foolish Brexit means Brexit mantra - now there is a deal on the table. A second referendum would vote on that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am starting to think a 2nd referendum is the way to go. This time people will know leaving the EU means to them and the country, which no one knew the 1st time around.
I voted leave and although I do not regret voting leave, if the country votes to remain in the EU, I will respect that decision.

I don’t think a second ref is the way forward if it has WTO on it, that’s madness and no Government should give it as an option.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That may be the case, but my understanding is that the window dressing deal would need agreement by EU. Not sure they would do that. And also as i understand it, there is probably a mechanism within parliament to force no deal off of the table. Either way it is going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

One thing is for certain, there's no certainty in anything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure. I agree.
I’m just pointing out a reality.
It seems some people are pushing for a second vote as if the worst that could happen as a result of that , is a robust row on question time .
If a second vote is announced there could be serious consequences. It will open the door to nasty morons to behave like nasty morons.

There are a few nasty morons but not very many. The country shouldn't be held to ransom because of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here