Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car wheel sizes and speedometer.

larus

This may seem a dumb question, but how does a speedometer actually work?

If the speed of the car is calibrated by the speed which the axle turns, then do manufacturers adjust the setting of the car if you swap from say 18” to 20” wheels.

For example, 18” wheels will be (in simple terms) moving you forward by 54” for one complete revolution.
20” wheels by 60”. Therefore, the % difference is not insignificant, especially if going past speed cameras. (Not been flashed, just curious for those mechanically minded).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Manufacturers will adjust, if you change tyre size yourself, your speedometer will not be accurate

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Never thought about it. Good question. Are they not linked to your sat nav via blue tooth? And if you have tiny wheels I guess you can blag your mates your are doing 200MPH, coool!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Never thought about it. Good question. Are they not linked to your sat nav via blue tooth? And if you have tiny wheels I guess you can blag your mates your are doing 200MPH, coool!

Reading some of your posts recently I really wonder if you're taking the piss or are in fact thick.

Either way just to let you know it's against the law not to have a fully functioning speedo including its accuracy (limits of discrepancy apply)

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Small differences are the reason why you really shouldn't get summonsed for being 5%-10% or so mph over.
At that point, you're a revenue source, and not a menace to public safety.

Calculator here....

European law (ECE-R39) says speedometers cannot show speeds less than the actual speed, and they must never show more than the 110 per cent of actual speed plus 4 km/h. So, under those rules, a car could be moving at 100 km/h, but the speedometer could legally display as high as 114 km/h.

Blame Brussels.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
...do manufacturers adjust the setting of the car if you swap from say 18” to 20” wheels.

For example, 18” wheels will be (in simple terms) moving you forward by 54” for one complete revolution.
20” wheels by 60”. Therefore, the % difference is not insignificant, especially if going past speed cameras. (Not been flashed, just curious for those mechanically minded).

Never thought about it. Good question. Are they not linked to your sat nav via blue tooth?

:lolol:

Reading some of your posts recently I really wonder if you're taking the piss or are in fact thick.

B

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
All depends on size of tyre, general rule go up an inch wheel size go down a profile ie 235/45/18 is roughly same rolling radius as 235/40/19

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Either way just to let you know it's against the law not to have a fully functioning speedo including its accuracy (limits of discrepancy apply)

I had a faulty speedo in my (almost new) Maestro van, had an indicated 125mph past Roedean school but still got overtaken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here