Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bottom line is, a scumbag is off the streets. Couldn't care less about him. Do I feel sorry for his family? Do I ****. Those of you who 'feel sorry' for his family; do you go to bed at night tossing and turning thinking of them? No you don't. I hope his kids turn out to be decent adults. That is as much as I would say about them.

Floral tributes? I'd have watered them naturally.

I do care about Mr Osborn-Brooks and hope that he will be safe. He deserves to be safe and he done absolutely the right thing in protecting himself and his home.

Absolutely all of this.

Can't believe people are siding against a pensioner, attacked in his own home by a career scumbag whose early departure has probably saved the gene pool from further dilution. Piss on the flowers or stick them in an incinerator. Either will do.

As for do as you likeys the mess they made of Southwick Leisure Centre and their repeated aggravated shop lifting in the Co-Op on Shelldale Rd recently tells you all you need to know about them. Politicians offering even stronger guarantees for people defending themselves in their own home, along with making Trespass a criminal offence instead of a civil one would get a thumbs up from me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There were women on Victoria Derbyshire this morning claiming to return and put up more flowers, for as long as it takes, if residents continue to take them down. One wants people arrested because she paid good money for the flowers and they didn't come for free.

It's unbelievable how twisted their values are.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Hither Green residents should respect tributes to dead burglar, police chief says

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1...ays-police-chief/?ref=mr&lp=1#comments-anchor

Police have sought to soothe escalating tensions between the grieving loved ones of burglar Henry Vincent and Hither Green residents after shrines for the thief were repeatedly taken down.

Friends and supporters of Richard Osborn-Brooks - who was arrested on suspicion of murdering 37-year-old Vincent while defending his home last week before being released without charge - have removed scores of floral bouquets and balloons placed outside the 78-year-old's home.

Chief Superintendent Simon Dobinson said he was "aware of the concerns that have been raised by residents regarding the floral tributes placed in Hither Green" but said residents should "respect the wishes" of those who choose to pay their respects in public.

He said: "My officers have a responsibility to provide reassurance to local residents so they can go about their daily lives, while also respecting the wishes of family and friends to mark the loss of a loved one.

"They are not there to safeguard or facilitate the laying of floral tributes; we are liaising with the local authority who are considering appropriate management of the floral tributes.

"I do not want anyone to feel intimidated or that they are not being allowed to respond in a dignified way to a tragic death.

"We would urge members of the public to respect the wishes of those who choose to place flowers and other tributes in the area.

"We would also request those placing tributes or visiting the area to behave in a responsible manner so as not to disrupt the local community.

"A small police presence remains in place in and around South Park Crescent to provide reassurance to the public."

He said no arrests have been made in connection with the tributes.

On Wednesday, Iain Gordon, who said he was part of the Fair Society group, pulled down the flowers laid by the family of Henry Vincent.

The incident follows one on Tuesday evening where a hooded man ripped down

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Hither Green residents should respect tributes to dead burglar, police chief says

"I do not want anyone to feel intimidated or that they are not being allowed to respond in a dignified way to a tragic death.

"We would urge members of the public to respect the wishes of those who choose to place flowers and other tributes in the area.

"We would also request those placing tributes or visiting the area to behave in a responsible manner so as not to disrupt the local community.

The police don't seem to be able to manage this well at all. Are they not glad one of their most wanted burglars is off the streets?

This was not a tragic death.
They are placing the flowers on private property, someones garden fence. More trespassing by this family.
Placing floral tributes in the area, under these circumstances, is for most of us, behaving badly and shows a complete lack of respect for their families actions.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was watching the Vox Pops around this when the latest "tributes" we're being pulled down and was staggered to see one of the neighbours saying " it's a bit of 50/50 to blame" how does he make that out? 78 year old man vs 37 year old traveller with warrants for other burglaries against elderly folk in the middle of the night.

If that scumbag had kept his thieving hands out of other people's property he could be alive today ripping people off for dodgy drive repairs and bogus roofing jobs.

There's a park somewhere with a bit less shit being dumped in it now.

RIP turd.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely all of this.

Can't believe people are siding against a pensioner, attacked in his own home by a career scumbag whose early departure has probably saved the gene pool from further dilution. Piss on the flowers or stick them in an incinerator. Either will do.

As for do as you likeys the mess they made of Southwick Leisure Centre and their repeated aggravated shop lifting in the Co-Op on Shelldale Rd recently tells you all you need to know about them. Politicians offering even stronger guarantees for people defending themselves in their own home, along with making Trespass a criminal offence instead of a civil one would get a thumbs up from me.

We should follow the lead of the Irish Republic, which made trespass a criminal offence in 2002. Although it woudn't stop the robbing freeloaders settled here already, it would act as disincentive to potential new waves of criminals seeing the UK as a soft touch.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
It’s like putting up a memorial to Jimmy Savile outside Great Ormond Street Hospital.

What sort of shrine would that be anyway? 'This is where your Dad's scumbag mate left him to die after they threatened and tried to rob pensioners'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There were women on Victoria Derbyshire this morning claiming to return and put up more flowers, for as long as it takes, if residents continue to take them down. One wants people arrested because she paid good money for the flowers and they didn't come for free.

I'd like to see a crowd funding page set up to collect enough money for a floral mural depicted in the words "GOOD RIDDANCE TO FILTHY ROBBING SCUM" and have it pinned up at the site. Obviously these disgusting chavvy women wouldn't object, seeing as people paid for it. I might even chip in with 50p myself.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't quite grasp why the flowers need to be laid there. I realise it's become a thing to lay flowers at the scene of somebody's death, but really, in a case like this, where the family of the deceased are angry that they keep getting removed, why not find another spot to place them? Somewhere nowhere near that street, perhaps by their own homes, where nobody will object.

This is not about tributes any more, it's about one side trying to get one over the other, which to my mind entirely defeats the point of the "memorial". If it was really about paying their respects, it wouldn't matter where the flowers were.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It’s like putting up a memorial to Jimmy Savile outside Great Ormond Street Hospital.

What sort of shrine would that be anyway? 'This is where your Dad's scumbag mate left him to die after they threatened and tried to rob pensioners'.

Perhaps it would be best if the law-abiding folk of the area chose to regard the floral tributes as a happy reminder that someone who is no loss to their community is off the streets for good. I presume that the family conned some pensioners out of the flowers, though ....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The police don't seem to be able to manage this well at all. Are they not glad one of their most wanted burglars is off the streets?

:ffsparr: What exactly do you expect the officer in charge of all this to say here? "Yeah, he's dead but frankly, he was an absolute thieving piece of work and we're all delighted he's no longer around"?

And last time I looked, there was no "Prevention Of Laying Flowers In A Public Place Act" that the police had the power to enforce :rolleyes:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd like to see a crowd funding page set up to collect enough money for a floral mural depicted in the words "GOOD RIDDANCE TO FILTHY ROBBING SCUM" and have it pinned up at the site. Obviously these disgusting chavvy women wouldn't object, seeing as people paid for it. I might even chip in with 50p myself.

I quite like that idea!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I can't quite grasp why the flowers need to be laid there. I realise it's become a thing to lay flowers at the scene of somebody's death, but really, in a case like this, where the family of the deceased are angry that they keep getting removed, why not find another spot to place them? Somewhere nowhere near that street, perhaps by their own homes, where nobody will object.

This is not about tributes any more, it's about one side trying to get one over the other, which to my mind entirely defeats the point of the "memorial". If it was really about paying their respects, it wouldn't matter where the flowers were.

Completely agree with this - as I see it it is just some warped mind trying to get one over on the poor bloke who was being robbed. Utterly disgusting. I hope that Mr Osborn-Brooks will be safe in his home when he returns as we all should be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:ffsparr: What exactly do you expect the officer in charge of all this to say here? "Yeah, he's dead but frankly, he was an absolute thieving piece of work and we're all delighted he's no longer around"?

And last time I looked, there was no "Prevention Of Laying Flowers In A Public Place Act" that the police had the power to enforce :rolleyes:
Litter laws maybe, or behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

You can bet if I stood in front of a policeman and either (i) placed something on the floor intending to leave it there, or (ii) attached it to somebody's private property they would have a word. The police have been quoted that they won't do anything about it until the fence owner complains - which does at least suggest that a behaviour has occurred that can be corrected by the police.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
He actually died in Lewisham Hospital, so if relatives really wanted to place "tributes" they should be in Lewisham's A&E. Leaving things near Mr Osborn-Brooks' home is pure intimidation and disrespect.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

If the Police wanted to 'discourage' the laying of flowers they could , and would , but as usual they are too gutless to properly confront pikeys, they prefer to pick on little girls

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This was not a tragic death.
They are placing the flowers on private property, someones garden fence. More trespassing by this family.
Placing floral tributes in the area, under these circumstances, is for most of us, behaving badly and shows a complete lack of respect for their families actions.

I think the Police Chief is just being realistic. I'm sure what he'd like to say is this - "By all means pull down the flowers, but understand that the community you are taking on will show no remorse and no sense of culpability and will keep putting them back up. Let them stick the flowers up and then disappear, otherwise they'll be hanging round like a bad smell for a lot longer than anyone wants."

Has anyone from the traveller community stepped forward to say that Henry Vincent is not the victim that others are trying to paint him out to be? I've not seen anything.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

imo this would be fine if a respectful tribute was made. i.e. a single flowers nearby to make their loss. but the family, friends, associates, etc have made over the top efforts here, making it into some sort of martyrdom for their fallen brethen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here