Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vauxhall motors,what does the future hold ?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
What is a decent,reliable brand (GM) will be dragged down to Peugeot/Citroen sh#t quality. Look what happened when Nissan, a reliable though inexpensive brand, got involved with Renault
They have and will both sink to the lowest common denominator.Before anyone slates me for this, I work in the motor trade and have seen the quality demise first hand.Just an opinion though like!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have no knowledge of the motor industry or really any great interest but listening to the news I took it that the CEO of PSA was giving a veiled threat of any disruptions with strikes etc and we will close the factorys toe the line and produce the goods and they will stay open.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
British car manufacturing was on its knees a couple of decades ago, today a flexible and productive workforce has turned the industry into a huge success story employing close to a million jobs.

If there are tariffs it will be a disaster for us and Europe knows it. Think we'll need to get out the chequebook

It's more assembly as opposed to manufacturing though. And there could be issues if there are two many parts imported from the EU.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Should never have resigned from the Conference North at the end of the 2013-14 season, it was the beginning of the end.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Another view on the Brexit angle.

A “hard” Brexit would be good news for Vauxhall’s supply chain, the carmaker’s new owner has said as he sealed the long awaited £2bn purchase from *General Motors.

Carlos Tavares, chairman of PSA whose existing brands include Citroen and Peugeot, said that were the UK to leave the European Union without any form of deal, it would lead to opportunities to increase the manufacturer’s supply chain in the UK.

A so-called "hard" Brexit could present “nice opportunity to be able to source the UK from inside the UK", he said.

“This is something that the UK government completely understands. If it is a hard Brexit, then the supplier base needs to be developed. It is important that we source parts from the UK, so that the cost structure will be more in pounds.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/06/psa-seals-19bn-takeover-vauxhall-opel/

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

A “hard” Brexit would be good news for Vauxhall’s supply chain, the carmaker’s new owner has said as he sealed the long awaited £2bn purchase from *General Motors.

Carlos Tavares, chairman of PSA whose existing brands include Citroen and Peugeot, said that were the UK to leave the European Union without any form of deal, it would lead to opportunities to increase the manufacturer’s supply chain in the UK.

A so-called "hard" Brexit could present “nice opportunity to be able to source the UK from inside the UK", he said.

“This is something that the UK government completely understands. If it is a hard Brexit, then the supplier base needs to be developed. It is important that we source parts from the UK, so that the cost structure will be more in pounds.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/06/psa-seals-19bn-takeover-vauxhall-opel/

This is all very well if we had the infrastructure, factories and skilled labour to be able to manufacture those parts sadly we don't that's why we currently get them from other countries

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

A hard Brexit would see PSA wanting to source more components from the UK (for UK-built vehicles) in order to avoid the tariff barriers with the EU. The resultant vehicles would not be exported to the EU (currently the biggest market by far) but on the UK market. Vehicles for the EU would be made in the EU: there would be no obvious case for making them in the UK. It hasn't been mentioned but you could see some other PSA vehicles - Citroen and Peugeot mainly - being assembled in the UK, using common components. British-built vehicles might also be sold to any overseas markets with which the UK had a trade deal but the EU didn't, although there would be few of those in the long term. In summary, PSA would use the British plants as a trojan horse to access the UK market.

D

Deleted member 22389

This is all very well if we had the infrastructure, factories and skilled labour to be able to manufacture those parts sadly we don't that's why we currently get them from other countries

Well we better get training people then.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Well we better get training people then.
Longstanding problem with that is our financial institutions and banks are not supportive or interested in manufacturing. Too much investment required and the bucks aren't quick enough, hence most of it has been closed down or flogged off to foreign companies with their connivance, lining their pockets along the way.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is a rumour doing the rounds that the offer the government made to Nissan was to reimburse any customs duty that the EC will impose on their cars being built in Sunderland and exported to continental Europe. If that turns out to be true ( and I can't see how else Nissan would have wanted to stay if duty would be applied) then I assume that is what the unions are getting at being offered to Peugeot. Trouble is every industry will ask for the same and how the hell we could afford that would be very interesting!

Yeah BMW, Jaguar and others will want the same.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What is a decent,reliable brand (GM) will be dragged down to Peugeot/Citroen sh#t quality. Look what happened when Nissan, a reliable though inexpensive brand, got involved with Renault
They have and will both sink to the lowest common denominator.Before anyone slates me for this, I work in the motor trade and have seen the quality demise first hand.Just an opinion though like!

Interesting.
I have got a Renault van I bought when it was nearly new 07 reg, it's been a very good reliable van so far.
Not owned a Renualt before and this one doesn't really owe me anything now, but I've looked after it and kept it clean and tidy.

My wife owns a much newer Vauxhall that she bought nearly new with very low milage, this car has had all sorts of problems.
She's had no end of issues with the electric handbrake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here