Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere yesterday at Boro.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not sure what GOSTS is, I'm referring to the deafening PA in the minutes before the game starts.

I'm in agreement.

Another thing that annoyed me yesterday at Boro, before the game both sets of fans were going for it, the place was absolutely rocking. A truly electric atmosphere, so what did they do! Play music at a deafening volume over the PA and drown it all out. Why? I just don't get it. I'm not having a go at Boro, because we would do the same, but it is ridiculous.

I kind of understand, although still completely disagree with it, if it's a run of the mill game and they are trying to drum up an atmosphere before the game that isn't there, but if it is there and it is all going off, shut the **** up and let the crowd create the spectacle. It would have been an unbelievable atmosphere before the game yesterday, instead it was like being in a club until two minutes before the game started.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm starting to waver as well. The problem is it would need to be the right person drumming, not some knob from the nsk who wants to peddle their own Euro rubbish, or someone on the other side who just wants to drown them out. And it would need to be someone who can actually drum. It has to be worth a 6 game trial or something.

I agree, a proper drummer but I cannot really see the issue with trialling it for one game at least.

Apr 5, 2016
In parts of the country where you have a high proportion of scum (i.e. desolate areas ridden with crime, unemployment and poor education) you will get loud-mouthed morons with no dignity whatsoever. They will therefore have no objection to being noisy, animated and hostile. They've got nothing to lose.

In civilised areas you will have decent, intelligent folk who are as interested in watching and analysing the football as they are creating an atmosphere. Therefore the impact of those whose focus is to create an atmosphere will be diluted.

It's why places like Middlesbrough, Liverpool and Leeds will always be noisy and Brighton, Chelsea and Southampton will not be.

So, you don't create an atmosphere because you are well educated and have jobs? Brilliant.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
In parts of the country where you have a high proportion of scum (i.e. desolate areas ridden with crime, unemployment and poor education) you will get loud-mouthed morons with no dignity whatsoever. They will therefore have no objection to being noisy, animated and hostile. They've got nothing to lose.

In civilised areas you will have decent, intelligent folk who are as interested in watching and analysing the football as they are creating an atmosphere. Therefore the impact of those whose focus is to create an atmosphere will be diluted.

It's why places like Middlesbrough, Liverpool and Leeds will always be noisy and Brighton, Chelsea and Southampton will not be.

There's definitely something in this. A lot of Sussex folk seem to go to the football like it's going to the theatre- they're going there for entertainment more than anything. If the game is good and the team do well then they'll get involved in the atmosphere, but if it isn't, they won't. And their outlook seems to be that it is up to the team to lift the fans, where as places like Liverpool and Leeds, they see it the other way around.

There have been times when the Amex has been rocking, but only during a really exciting game when the Albion are doing well. Any pre match atmosphere always dies off by about 10 mins or so if nothing has happened on the pitch.

I'm sure the demographic of Sussex is the reason why our atmosphere can't match some places. That said, we shouldn't beat ourselves up too much, the Amex atmosphere is by no means the worst in the division, it's probably around the upper-middle, and higher than that for a big game.

It's also a fair comment about financial reasons, lots of people buy tickets in the North because it's the cheapest, who have no interest in creating an atmosphere. Those people should be encouraged to go somewhere else.

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
I'm in agreement.

Another thing that annoyed me yesterday at Boro, before the game both sets of fans were going for it, the place was absolutely rocking. A truly electric atmosphere, so what did they do! Play music at a deafening volume over the PA and drown it all out. Why? I just don't get it. I'm not having a go at Boro, because we would do the same, but it is ridiculous.

I kind of understand, although still completely disagree with it, if it's a run of the mill game and they are trying to drum up an atmosphere before the game that isn't there, but if it is there and it is all going off, shut the **** up and let the crowd create the spectacle. It would have been an unbelievable atmosphere before the game yesterday, instead it was like being in a club until two minutes before the game started.

All Boro fans feel the same, and the same with goal music. Was outside the navigation pub before the game and songs being sung 2 hours before kick off. . Concourse an hour before kick off was bouncing singing songs, as soon as you walk up the stairs all you hear is pa music. Both sets of fans were singing 15 minutes before kick off. Let the atmosphere build with no music.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
All Boro fans feel the same, and the same with goal music. Was outside the navigation pub before the game and songs being sung 2 hours before kick off. . Concourse an hour before kick off was bouncing singing songs, as soon as you walk up the stairs all you hear is pa music. Both sets of fans were singing 15 minutes before kick off. Let the atmosphere build with no music.

Everyone I speak to at the Amex feels the same as well. So who is it that wants to listen to deafening dance music at football, instead of the crowd singing? Because someone must, otherwise surely it wouldn't happen!?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Embarrassing statement

Apr 5, 2016
Who says we don't create an atmosphere?

Also, i'm not sure many would agree with the above poster.

"It's why places like Middlesbrough, Liverpool and Leeds will always be noisy and Brighton, Chelsea and Southampton will not be."

It was aimed at that comment. To be fair, I thought your atmosphere was decent once the PA man let you be heard.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Impressively even had small kids singing "Town full of rent boys." Real commitment to the cause to poison your kids at such a young age in the name of your football club.

But, yes, good sound although I could rarely understand a word they were signing. Needed a drummer, I also noted.

My particular highlight was their rendition of "The Sound of Silence" after we scored.

Think this is a bitter response. As [MENTION=551]Behind Enemy Lines[/MENTION] indicates, the Boro fans were stonkingly impressive. It was a continuous, raucous noise. As for that song, it was a bit of a one-off, and really how much worse was it than one song we sang to them?

quizzicaleyebrow

Mar 10, 2011

There are regular complaints that the PA is turned up specifically to drown out the singing, because the usual announcer (surely the model for Alan Partridge) has his own axe to grind. Actually, I think I read many years ago that there's a system in place that senses crowd noise and adjusts the volume of the PA in that area so that safety announcements can be heard.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was undoubtedly impressive, and one of the best atmospheres I've heard.

However, let's not pretend that Boro have been generating a red-hot atmosphere week in week out, season in season out.

I've been to two Boro away games since we returned to the Championship and I think in both cases the crowd was in the region of 15,000 meaning there was more empty seats than people and there was no atmosphere at all. I also don't recall any sort of ultra movement at either game trying to create any sound. Perhaps if the good people of Middlesbrough had got out to support their team before now, they would have returned to the Premier League before yesterday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Think this is a bitter response. As [MENTION=551]Behind Enemy Lines[/MENTION] indicates, the Boro fans were stonkingly impressive. It was a continuous, raucous noise. As for that song, it was a bit of a one-off, and really how much worse was it than one song we sang to them?

Our posts just crossed. It was impressive as I've just said.

The only song I recall Albion fans signing at Boro fans was "Where were you when you were shit?" and, having been to the Riverside when it was over half-empty, I think there is some factual merit to it. I didn't sing it myself, I'll hasten to add.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here