Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brit Awards 2017

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yep, unless you are taking the piss, I thought it was very good.
Nice to see Bowie win some and a nice tribute to George Micheal.
And I have to say I really like Bruno Mars, he is a classy act, and his songs have that 70's, 80's funk/soul feel about them, which is right up my street.

If you liked that GM tribute and Bruno Mars, you would have LOVED the Grammys last week.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If Skepta doesn't win something there's going to be a serious kurfuffle about the relevance of the Brits again tomorrow.

Seems to be becoming more common to play the racism card at every opportunity these days, perhaps those that vote just don't think that an individual act is the best option this year :shrug:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Seems to be becoming more common to play the racism card at every opportunity these days, perhaps those that vote just don't think that an individual act is the best option this year :shrug:

Skepta by any measure had an astonishing year last year. Grime has emerged from being a cult underground UK concern to international renown in the space of a couple of years.

It's you that's mentioned the 'racism card' like the tedious troll that you are. The point I'm making is the Brits are totally out of touch. Outside of Adele, grime is THE British music success story at the moment, it's the thing The Brits should be shouting from the rooftops. I would suggest that its not actually a story of race, more that the British music industry has been slow to pick up on it and hence the big boys aren't making major £££££'s from its success.

I do understand Bowie for male solo and British album though, it's a great record. The breakthrough act has the smell of industry bullshit around it. It's not that he isn't talented but he's extremely new and very safe.

Even The Telegraph is getting in on the act today - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/2017-brit-awards-ignored-shaped-music-last-year/

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My review of the evening:

Little Mix – Got the show off to an absolute flyer, the audience absolutely lapped it up, high energy and high octane stuff. 9
Bruno Mars – Got the lot, great stage presence, likeability and catchy songs. Went down well in our house and it seems across the country. 8
Sceptre – Absolutely rancid. 3
Ed Sheeran – Great duet, also lovely mash up of his two current big hits. Was a crowd favourite and even had Simon Cowell up and dancing. 9
Katy Perry – Not her greatest song but still a catchy number, possibly the best overall watchability with all the dancing houses, shame one fell off the stage. 8
Coldplay and Chainsmokers – Brits are well renowned for their collabarations and this one will go do down as one of the very best. Think this is going to be a massive hit. 8
Robbie Williams – Bought the house down with a thrilling finale, would have been nice to hear some of his classics but his new material is every bit as good, the ultimate showman. 8
The 1975 – Absolutely huge on both sides of the Atlantic and it’s easy to see why. Polly and Giles’ favourite performance of the night, and loved the ironic quotes behind them when on stage, comedy gold. 8.5
Emelie Sande – I am one of Emelies biggest fans but amidst all the hulabaloo and other fine performances I thought hers was a bit lost. 6

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Also had a cheeky bet on how many dabs there are tonight. 4-6 looks outstanding value.

No real interest in these awards events tbh, so never watch them, although the missus tends to tune in. Interested to know why everyone is "dabbing" though? Saw it on GMB this morning too.

That was so 2015....Even Cam Newton moved on from it last season as it was past its sell by date...yet "celebs" think its the latest coolest thing to do. No, no its not.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Skepta by any measure had an astonishing year last year. Grime has emerged from being a cult underground UK concern to international renown in the space of a couple of years.

It's you that's mentioned the 'racism card' like the tedious troll that you are. The point I'm making is the Brits are totally out of touch. Outside of Adele, grime is THE British music success story at the moment, it's the thing The Brits should be shouting from the rooftops. I would suggest that its not actually a story of race, more that the British music industry has been slow to pick up on it and hence the big boys aren't making major £££££'s from its success.

I do understand Bowie for male solo and British album though, it's a great record. The breakthrough act has the smell of industry bullshit around it. It's not that he isn't talented but he's extremely new and very safe.

Even The Telegraph is getting in on the act today - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/2017-brit-awards-ignored-shaped-music-last-year/

Having read the Telegraph article, it actually concedes that the voters pool/voting methods have recently been updated, and that there were many more black artists nominated this year than in 2015/2016, all good so far. But it then resorts to the lazy option of bringing skin colour into question when none of its preferred artists actually won an award. So do please forgive me if I see straight to your agenda when complaining that no grime artists won anything and that the Brits are out of touch (and why exactly should the music industry promote a genre that repeatedly shouts and brags of its independence from the afore said industry?). On the other hand, don't bother.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So do please forgive me if I see straight to your agenda when complaining that no grime artists won anything and that the Brits are out of touch (and why exactly should the music industry promote a genre that repeatedly shouts and brags of its independence from the afore said industry?).

My agenda is that the British music industry is represented globally in the best possible way. It's not a new thing, the Brits have never really done it, they're always way behind what's going on in a way that say The Mercury Music Prize isn't. The key reason British music is in such rude health internationally is we are renown for groundbreaking artists. The Brits doesn't get it.

The Brits problem isn't with race, its problem is that it is way too safe and conservative. I guarantee you that had the Brits been around in 1976/77/78 they would have ignored punk in favour of the latest prog rock opus the punks were kicking against.

You're the one fixated with race here.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I didn't watch this but did The 1975 win "worst band in the world, ever"? Because they should have. Utter turd.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The point I'm making is the Brits are totally out of touch. Outside of Adele, grime is THE British music success story at the moment, it's the thing The Brits should be shouting from the rooftops.

The BRITs are mainstream awards. Always have been, and always will be.

PS You forgot Ed Sheeran who, like Adele, probably sold more records than every grime artist put together.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The BRITs are mainstream awards. Always have been, and always will be.

PS You forgot Ed Sheeran who, like Adele, probably sold more records than every grime artist put together.

You're right. All I said was - 'If Skepta doesn't win something there's going to be a serious kurfuffle about the relevance of the Brits again tomorrow.' Which there has been.

I'm just making it clear that I don't really think the Brits has an issue with race. Or maybe more accurately if it does, its a symptom of wider issue rather than anything truly malicious.

PS - Who did the ginger wizard play with last night? Nice boost to his credibility!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My agenda is that the British music industry is represented globally in the best possible way. It's not a new thing, the Brits have never really done it, they're always way behind what's going on in a way that say The Mercury Music Prize isn't. The key reason British music is in such rude health internationally is we are renown for groundbreaking artists. The Brits doesn't get it.

The Brits problem isn't with race, it's problem is that it is way too safe and conservative. I guarantee you that had the Brits been around in 1976/77/78 they would have ignored punk in favour of the latest prog rock opus the punks were kicking against.

You're the one fixated with race here.

Got to agree with all of this. I struggle to understand why people get so worked up about who is and isn't on the Brits. We all know the demographic that it is aimed at - it's predominantly Radio 1 and commercial radio with a smattering of Radio 6 to keep the old 'uns and indie-kids interested and to give it an air of respectability and maybe a brief mention to whoever was big in the urban charts for a bit of street cred. t's a shame that it has such a narrow focus given that there are so many great UK bands that deserve the limelight far more than Chris Martin (again) but it isn't going to change any time soon and there are other music awards that are more relevant/in touch.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Got to agree with all of this. I struggle to understand why people get so worked up about who is and isn't on the Brits. We all know the demographic that it is aimed at - it's predominantly Radio 1 and commercial radio with a smattering of Radio 6 to keep the old 'uns and indie-kids interested and to give it an air of respectability and maybe a brief mention to whoever was big in the urban charts for a bit of street cred. t's a shame that it has such a narrow focus given that there are so many great UK bands that deserve the limelight far more than Chris Martin (again) but it isn't going to change any time soon and there are other music awards that are more relevant/in touch.

I suppose it's a difficult line to tread to be fair, without turning it into a Grammy-esque boreathon featuring 'Best album featuring a kazoo.' or somesuch

Anyway, I'm off to listen to the new Wiley album. As the kids say 'it's siiiiiiiiick.'

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
PS - Who did the ginger wizard play with last night? Nice boost to his credibility!

Sheeran has lots of links to the grime scene, going back to SB.TV.

Don't think he has credibility issues, tbh.

(I bought Boy in the Corner in 2003, btw.)

PS Skepta has been milking Shutdown for waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here