Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being picky...what little things would you change at The Amex?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I actually emailed PB about this when my wife was pregnant and struggling with the stairs - I asked if we could use the lifts as a temporary measure for a couple of games. His reply was that they don't want someone who can't use the stairs stuck in WSU should there be a need to evacuate, the thought being if you use the lift to go up and then get stuck up there the club is liable.

So what do they do in the East Upper where they have wheelchair disabled?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I actually emailed PB about this when my wife was pregnant and struggling with the stairs - I asked if we could use the lifts as a temporary measure for a couple of games. His reply was that they don't want someone who can't use the stairs stuck in WSU should there be a need to evacuate, the thought being if you use the lift to go up and then get stuck up there the club is liable.

Two things at a guess:

2. People need to be able to evacuate the stadium at a reasonable pace if there is any kind of emergency. Some that can't get up the steps all the way to the top may also have issues with getting down them and provide a blockage to others.

I'd not considered this. It is a pretty GOOD answer, in fairness.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
On a personal note, because in between choosing the WSU and now, I have developed what my GP referred to "Adult Onset Asthma" and I struggle with the stairs. I don't want to move and end up sitting without my mates, and as there is a big group of us (8-12 depending if everyone turns up) it would be unfair of me to ask them all to move just because of me.

Same for me

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Trained seagulls to fly in formation and perform bombing runs on the away end for certain visitors.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Simply put......adjacent to the Harvey's stand would be ideal

Limbourg_Ves1JPG.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On a personal note, because in between choosing the WSU and now, I have developed what my GP referred to "Adult Onset Asthma" and I struggle with the stairs. I don't want to move and end up sitting without my mates, and as there is a big group of us (8-12 depending if everyone turns up) it would be unfair of me to ask them all to move just because of me.

I think the operational reason behind ensuring the lift is not an option as explained by [MENTION=4185]gullshark[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is a very sound one. Your best option sounds like it is probably to wait until 3 or 4 of your group are also fed up with the stairs and move to a separate area.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Quite correct on hospitality although, from my experience, a blind eye is readily turned to those who want to drink during the game too so long as they pour their beer into a tea mug.

I like your suggestion but just can't see it happening as there WILL be people who save their drink(s) for during the game, either in the beer plastics themselves or decanted into a fizzy drink bottle or similar. There's no easy way for stewards to monitor and control that.

You are probably right. It's a bloody shame though. I'd love to take a pre-match pint to my seat to drink before the game started. it really is an antiquated and discrimnatory piece of legislation.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
The East Upper is nowhere near as high up, and I should imagine it's capacity is lower too.

I do expect they have a good reason and I have already come to the conclusion that pretty soon I will have to give up my ticket and end my 60 years of going to the Albion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do expect they have a good reason and I have already come to the conclusion that pretty soon I will have to give up my ticket and end my 60 years of going to the Albion.
Sounds very unfortunate. Surely you could move to somewhere more accessible with half of your group?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Sounds very unfortunate. Surely you could move to somewhere more accessible with half of your group?

Cost also comes into the equation, as we do have the cheapest seats that can be purchased away from the North stand. I could not also stand that long if I had to go there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cost also comes into the equation, as we do have the cheapest seats that can be purchased away from the North stand. I could not also stand that long if I had to go there.
I can't believe a club as well run as ours couldn't accommodate you and your family. I bet if you called them, they'd be able to run through the options. Off the top of my head, I don't know whether family stand tickets require kids under 18 or whether retired people are also able to sit there. If so, I can recommend that area - cheap, decent atmosphere, good seats...

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I can't believe a club as well run as ours couldn't accommodate you and your family. I bet if you called them, they'd be able to run through the options. Off the top of my head, I don't know whether family stand tickets require kids under 18 or whether retired people are also able to sit there. If so, I can recommend that area - cheap, decent atmosphere, good seats...

We are going into that section on Saturday as my youngest Grandchild is 13, but that is for only three of us, I am sure he cannot be accompanied by 5 adults under normal match day conditions

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
Some proper half-time entertainment rather than the usual dross we get with RR interviewing Doris the tea-lady who's worked for the club for 40 years

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
A rather sad fact feel is the further we climb the football ladder,the less family like the club can only become.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why are so many people MOANING about access to the WSU? It was made absolutely clear when it opened that if you were going to struggl e walking some stairs, then the WSU probably wasn't for you.

Well that was already over five years ago now. Will the same reasoning be trotted out in ten years time? Twenty? Can see this becoming a real issue for the club a few years down the line, as large numbers of WSU STHs start to reach the age where that set of stairs becomes less and less manageable. Hopefully there's been some thought given to this, because it would be a real shame if large numbers of people were no longer able to enjoy their day out at the Amex because they're not as steady on their feet as they once were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here