Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar World Cup In Doubt?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
http://www.theworkerscupfilm.com/

With unprecedented access, our film unfolds largely inside a Qatari labor camp that the migrant workers we meet say feels like a prison. Hidden between a highway and remote stretch of desert, the Umm Salal Camp is
intentionally out of sight and out of mind. So are the 4000 men who live
there.

We focus on a select group in the camp who have been chosen to compete in a football tournament for laborers: The Workers Cup. The tournament is being sponsored by the same committee organizing the 2022 World Cup and 24 construction companies have been invited to field a team of workers. Over the course of the tournament we follow the men as they alternate between two startling extremes: they play heroes on the football pitch, but are the lowest members of society off of it...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Would the USA have any interest for it?

I think they certainly would do as they are trying to push football there a lot and if it got them entry aswell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda

English & European
Both USA and Australia put bids in for the 2022 World Cup, along with Japan and South Korea. Being as Japan / South Korea only staged it in 2002, I would think the natural fallback would be either USA or Australia, being as they lost out to Qatar in that disgusting carve-up in the first place. Both of those could lay on a great World Cup, but as its never been in Australia I'd hope they would be awarded it, if its taken away from Qatar.

Sadly, that decision would require an element of competence and logic from FIFA. And those are traits that simply do not exist at any level within that fetid, rancid organisation.

I could see China also throwing their hat into the ring as well now.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
"awarding" Qatar the world cup has got to be the biggest sporting arse up of recent times........the travelling support will be woeful , the numbers of migrant labourers who have been literally worked to death is disgusting in the extreme , games will be played in temps of the high 30 degs c.......it's going to be shit , take it off them now , give it to Australia.....you know it makes sense....:thumbsup:

Oct 25, 2003
Australia should have got it in the first place- an emerging football nation (unlike Qatar) with a track record of hosting major sporting events (unlike Qatar) and numerous stadiums that are already in place (unlike Qatar)

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Australia should have got it in the first place- an emerging football nation (unlike Qatar) with a track record of hosting major sporting events (unlike Qatar) and numerous stadiums that are already in place (unlike Qatar)

That;s my view as well. The one single, solitary, tiny fact in favour of having it in Qatar was that it hadn't been held in an Arab country before, and it's good to 'spread it around'. Of course a cursory glance at the region tells you that holding the World Cup there is about as practical as holding the Winter Olympics in Panama, but it's the thought that counts!

Australasia hasn't had it either and Australia was a FAR better choice than Qatar for the reason's you've stated.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Could I ask why the UK needs the world cup? doesnt the host country usually end up losing money on events like the world cup or olympics? Its clear that team GB is currently broke we cannot afford a multi million pound loss.

You only lose money if you have to build stadiums. We could hold the WC tomorrow with what we already have.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That;s my view as well. The one single, solitary, tiny fact in favour of having it in Qatar was that it hadn't been held in an Arab country before, and it's good to 'spread it around'. Of course a cursory glance at the region tells you that holding the World Cup there is about as practical as holding the Winter Olympics in Panama, but it's the thought that counts!

Australasia hasn't had it either and Australia was a FAR better choice than Qatar for the reason's you've stated.

yeah.... we'll give it to them because they give us so much.....ppppppprrrrrrrfffftttttttttt........!!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

you missed the money factor out there mate......OZ would put on a great world cup.......but there is a massive gravy train going around and i doubt it will stop in Australia for a while.......

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Bribes must have been on a different level for Qatar to get it. Those that took them have the blood of the deaths of thousands of workers on their hands. I truly hope that karma pays them a visit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
66DD9D75-9486-4521-BC11-76B53BC92162.png

Gunna be great.

D

Deleted member 22389

Sounds like a real barrel of laughs. I understand you should follow the rules of the country, but this is the world cup, they need to open up a bit.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Visited Qatar back in September. The last thing I was thinking about was drinking. Not sure you could pay me to drink when it’s 45 degrees outside.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Weirdly, watching England play Brazil in Qatar a few years ago was one of my favourite football trips because of the boozy carnage we got up to.

Given how prominent alcohol is at the World Cup it will be interesting to see what they do. A local told me last January that they were building floating islands / platoons that would be outside of Qatar alcohol rules etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here