Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
I worked today for a lady who works in HR for a large company that employs many migrant workers to do the shittiest of jobs.
(Better not name any names or type of company)
We got talking about brexit and she said that without freedom of movement and reductions in migration they are going to be right up shit creek, this is a very large nationwide company.
just get a work permit , no ones banning anyone ? taking back control.
regards
DR

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I did say it's not going to happen. It's like being at the chimps Tea party with you lot. You ask the same questions over and over. You get an answer. Which part do you like. Grow up the lot of you.

Who told you it took 7 months? Been talking to your mate again.

As I said the chequers deal is not what I voted for and would rather have no deal

7 months? More like 7 years in fact. Still we can forage for berries until then

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I worked today for a lady who works in HR for a large company that employs many migrant workers to do the shittiest of jobs.
(Better not name any names or type of company)
We got talking about brexit and she said that without freedom of movement and reductions in migration they are going to be right up shit creek, this is a very large nationwide company.

All will be well, the company in question will merely cut its dividend to shareholders, cut higher management jobs and pay and attract workers from the UK by paying higher wages and improving conditions to those doing the work at the sharp end...... simples ….. if only !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I did say it's not going to happen. It's like being at the chimps Tea party with you lot. You ask the same questions over and over. You get an answer. Which part do you like. Grow up the lot of you.

Who told you it took 7 months? Been talking to your mate again.

As I said the chequers deal is not what I voted for and would rather have no deal than that.

But you said that you would rather have what I outlined than 'no deal' here

I'd take the Canada model all day long.

I have simply outlined the major points of the solution that you want 'all day long'. I also pointed out that it has taken 7 YEARS to agree and still isn't totally implemented. So, to want that solution at this juncture could be described as a little 'fanciful', at best :lolol:

You are just picking phrases without any concept of what they entail. I want a Canada model, I want a 'no deal' etc etc :facepalm:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Funny an Australian friend emailed me today how I thought Brexit was going, I just did a google search for the word "Brexit", and said he this is a good summary...

View attachment 101171

We were asked a 'What's this Brexit all about then?' sort of question by some friends over from Perth in the summer. They were staying with a mutual friend who lives in our village. The mutual friend, an occasional Mail reader who just loves the Royal Family, pitched in first with a bit about Junker, plumbers with poor English and getting the country back. I simply asked them to imagine if the state government decided that it would be a terrific wheeze if Western Australians were faced with serious restrictions when wanting to work, live and study in, say, Sydney and that their free movement would be restricted to Perth and a smattering of communities all the way down to Albany and that Sydney people would be similarly restricted in the opposite direction.

They agreed that that seemed to be a terrible downside of Brexit. "But hold on," I said. "The Brexiteers think that that is an UPSIDE. Those restrictions are one of the things they are looking forward to, whatever the cost." They agreed that Brexit seemed pretty barmy to them.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
But you said that you would rather have what I outlined than 'no deal' here

I have simply outlined the major points of the solution that you want 'all day long'. I also pointed out that it has taken 7 YEARS to agree and still isn't totally implemented. So, to want that solution at this juncture could be described as a little 'fanciful', at best :lolol:

You are just picking phrases without any concept of what they entail. I want a Canada model, I want a 'no deal' etc etc :facepalm:

Just goes to show that dealing with the eu is a waste of time. 7years ffs. Still not implemented. Just as Well we're leaving then.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Look, my view on this ia entirely consistent: if a referendum (no idea why people keep mentioning general elections) asks a question the government should act on that result. If they try to pass other stuff on the back of it then that is wrong.
That view applies now, amd it applies then.

The formation of the single market, the rules cementing freedom of movement, the transfer of more powers to the EU commission and The European parliament, more powers given to the ECJ to regulate, the introduction of the common transit system, the community customs code, the abolition of customs formalities at internal borders and the formation of The European Union itself all came after 1975 when we simply said we wish to remain in the European Community (the Common Market).
I see what you are saying that these policies had no business being implemented on us in the first place and piggy backed off that referendum and none should apply to us because they were not written on that ballot paper.
It would appear then we have overturned a great injustice imposed on the British people.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We were asked a 'What's this Brexit all about then?' sort of question by some friends over from Perth in the summer. They were staying with a mutual friend who lives in our village. The mutual friend, an occasional Mail reader who just loves the Royal Family, pitched in first with a bit about Junker, plumbers with poor English and getting the country back. I simply asked them to imagine if the state government decided that it would be a terrific wheeze if Western Australians were faced with serious restrictions when wanting to work, live and study in, say, Sydney and that their free movement would be restricted to Perth and a smattering of communities all the way down to Albany and that Sydney people would be similarly restricted in the opposite direction.

They agreed that that seemed to be a terrible downside of Brexit. "But hold on," I said. "The Brexiteers think that that is an UPSIDE. Those restrictions are one of the things they are looking forward to, whatever the cost." They agreed that Brexit seemed pretty barmy to them.

"You see, Brexit is about serious restrictions on movement for example like between Western Australia and New South Wales"
“Fair dinkum? Strewth mate that’s the work of drongos. You sure it isn’t like implementing controls between say other nations like between OZ and the Filos".
"No, its just like restricting movement between say Sussex and Devon".
“crikey, well that’s a terrible downside of Brexit mate, seems like a barmy idea if you are telling the truth”
“I know right, crazy isn’t it……cough”

pinocchio.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
just get a work permit , no ones banning anyone ? taking back control.
regards
DR[/QUOTE

Last I heard we are going to really cut unskilled labour only allowing those in with the skills we need.
And the lady was clearly an HR professional (and a right MILF as well) brexit has been uppermost on their agenda, if they thought for one second that they can get round the issue with work permits we would not have had the conversation, she was really worried that FOM is going to give the company a huge problem.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Using another injustice. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Plus, as many Brexiteers would say "we joined, get over it and stop grizzling". Is that not hypocrytical as that is EXACTLY what they have been doing?

Its not wrong to legitimately overturn a previous injustice.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Ozzies I know think what we are doing is bonkers.

They had a referendum of their own back in 1999 on becoming a Republic. The vote required a "double majority", a majority vote and in a majority of States. Perhaps if we'd been more sensible and had a vote that required a majority across the UK and the nations we wouldn't be in the mess we are now

With only 52% in favour of Brexit and only 50% of nations wanting OUT we were always going to have a hugely divided nation. If we go through with Brexit its highly likely the UK will fracture in a one or two places

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
"You see, Brexit is about serious restrictions on movement for example like between Western Australia and New South Wales"
“Fair dinkum? Strewth mate that’s the work of drongos. You sure it isn’t like implementing controls between say other nations like between OZ and the Filos".
"No, its just like restricting movement between say Sussex and Devon".
“crikey, well that’s a terrible downside of Brexit mate, seems like a barmy idea if you are telling the truth”
“I know right, crazy isn’t it……cough”
My analogy wasn't perfect but I'd hazard it was better than comparing New South Wales/WA to Sussex/Devon. The reference to a State Capital was a pointer - English counties don't have them. Australian states possess many of the characteristics of separate nations joined in political union. erecting artificial barriers around such entities is indeed barmy.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I agree. However this is not legitimate. It is being done in the same way as before.

The last election manifesto of the Tories has them saying controls will be placed on our EU borders and freedom of movement will end and that they will secure a new partnership with the EU where we are no longer members of the single market or customs union. The prime minister has a legitimate mandate from the electorate to implement these policies whilst negotiating our withdrawal from the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What with twenty-somthing % of the vote? Or was it 30-something. Give over.

Right, so manifestos are no longer valid either according to you.
You really are nothing more than a triggered snowflake stamping your feet about everything because people are not listening to you and you are not getting your way.
Pathetic,grow up a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here