Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

boik

Hilarious? Oh well, it's a nice world for the hindsight experts I suppose. Always nice to be smug?

Actually, earlier comments on this thread were genuine and legitimate - the team had been abysmal at Watford, and now the team named was (virtually) just same old, same old. Strangely (and yes it was strangely) the same team managed to play 2 or 300% better than against Watford. If they'd played the same as they played last week they would have been slaughtered, even by a fairly shambolic Utd. team - so concerns were perfectly reasonable.
Good for Hughton - he got it right today, well done him - just as he (and the players) got it wrong against Watford. Someone wise after the event thinks it was hilarious that many people weren't hopeful before the today's match. Fine, if it makes them feel superior. :shrug:

But that happens all of the time. Team plays terribly one week and well the next. To assume that we will lose because the team is similar to the one that lost to Watford (and similar to the one that actually beat United not all that long ago) is a bit naive.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
NOBODY was expecting it!

To be honest I had this game marked down as a Brighton win for a good few weeks, but never wanted to tempt fate by posting about it on here. With the whole sour atmosphere and whinging that Mourinho was doing during the Man Utd preseason tour in the States I just had a feeling they would implode today. After last week I'd lost some of that belief though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1031210313272754176[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But that happens all of the time. Team plays terribly one week and well the next. To assume that we will lose because the team is similar to the one that lost to Watford (and similar to the one that actually beat United not all that long ago) is a bit naive.

Hilarious............................................

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Old fashioned approach rather than make wholesale changes.
That was not good enough.
Not for the club
The shirt
The fans
Me
And yourselves.
Now get out there and do what I know you are capable of or not only will you be replaced you will be polishing my f******g boots.
Now piss off and go and play some football.
I hope I put a thumbs up on your post:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
United played effectively four forwards in the 2nd half yet Hughton still had the bottle to play tactics which effectively said come and have a go if you think you hard enough.

Unlike some games last season, today CH set our defence/entire team pushed out, negating Mourinho's ingenious Stoke tactics of high balls into Pogba, Lukaku and later Fellaini. With relentless pressing to ruin the quality of crosses played in.

CH won the tactical match.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1031216659674132482[/tweet]

:ohmy:
[tweet]1031233103971405824[/tweet]

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I think this will be our first three points of a glorious campaign in which we challenge Manchester City for the top spot, send Palace down, win the FA Cup and secure our place in the Champions League. Second season syndrome can suck my balls! My glass isn't half empty, it's half cornucopian. Or we could lose.

and I thought you were joking 👍

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Great first half...

We were all moaning about what an awful lineup it was, why is March starting, etc.

Lesson from this? Have faith in Chris who gets to see the players in training every day!

Quite. The first 150 posts in this thread are, in the majority, total negativity without any sense.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just got back from the local sports bar and watching the Albion smash United into pieces.

Don't fancy reading the whole thread, but it doesn't really matter. does it?

We deservedly got the 3 points and United go home with nothing.

Now it's onto Liverpool thumping Palace tomorrow...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just got back from the local sports bar and watching the Albion smash United into pieces.

Don't fancy reading the whole thread, but it doesn't really matter. does it?

We deservedly got the 3 points and United go home with nothing.

Now it's onto Liverpool thumping Palace tomorrow..
Warming up for their next home league match at Anfield, I guess............

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Warming up for their next home league match at Anfield, I guess............

Yes, you're quite right. It's not like we've ever won at Anfield, is it? :wink:

(Ok, we all know it's going to be very tough up there, but what's wrong with dreaming?)

But for now, it'll be nice to see Palace taken to the cleaners.

9-0 should do it. Well, there is history there...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great first half...

We were all moaning about what an awful lineup it was, why is March starting, etc.

Lesson from this? Have faith in Chris who gets to see the players in training every day!

Yep, guilty of this,

On paper it looked like a Championship team against a Champions League team. On actual grass it sort of was except we played the Champions Leage role :lolol:

United were awful but we were very, very good. March and Murray, my two biggest worries were probably both 8/10s, beaten only by (for me) Knockaert and Montoya. There was general puzzlement at the sponsors choice of Propper for MoM around me but you have to say we looked like we had a more spirited and tenacious midfield than one that contained hundreds of millions of pounds worth of player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're not expecting anything from this so I hope to God we blood the new players. Not only would it be exciting to watch an Albion team with real pace and an unknown quantity, but even if we don't get any points it will help bring the news boys up to speed. It can't be any worse than last week...........
No.
I hope to see Locadia start. (yes, I know, I am completely mad) I imagine United will have most of the ball, so we need to break at them with pace. Glenn for the last 20 maybe.
No.

I'm hoping for

Ryan

Montoya
Dunk
Balogun
Bernardo

Ali J
Stephens
Bissouma
Knocky

Gross
Locadia

Might as well see what these new lads have got
No.

Hughton out zzzzzz
No.

March keeps his place? Quite how he gets a starting place is beyond me, when was the last time he started and had a good game? Genuine question.
Just under 6 hours ago.

Perfect opportunity to blood some of the new boys yet he doesn’t do it.
:facepalm:

Fundamentally disagree with that team selection. Last week should have rung the changes.
No.

I would’ve prefered Ali to start, but I’ll bow to Chris’s superior wisdom.
At last some sense :D

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Scenes

DSCF2520.jpg
DSCF2529.jpg
DSCF2551.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills