Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now - he can do a lot of things well - but what I have been told is that he is inconsistent. I do hope that he turns out to be very good - but the brother-in-law wasn't particularly impressed.
That'll be the same accusation the nimrods on here leveled at Stockdale when, thanks to Sami, he was expected to make 10 world class saves a game.

Look what happened to DS when he had a solid defense in front and Ben Roberts in his ear.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have we signed him as competition to Maenpaa or as our number 1? At 25 Matt is quite young himself, and Meanpaa is a good goalkeeper in his own right and shouldn't be looking at sitting on the bench for another season. If anyone has the bigger picture and can speculate how it will work I am all ears? or eyes in this case.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Have we signed him as competition to Maenpaa or as our number 1? At 25 Matt is quite young himself, and Meanpaa is a good goalkeeper in his own right and shouldn't be looking at sitting on the bench for another season. If anyone has the bigger picture and can speculate how it will work I am all ears? or eyes in this case.

I would very much assume that Ryan will be Stockdale's replacement insofar as he will start the season as first choice, with Maenpaa as back up and playing in cup games.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
5M probably gives you the answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We haven't signed Maenpaa yet. He delayed it last year as he wasn't considered the no. 1. The indications are he will sign, but it's not certain.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I would very much assume that Ryan will be Stockdale's replacement insofar as he will start the season as first choice, with Maenpaa as back up and playing in cup games.

5M probably gives you the answer.

£5m is cheap for a goalkeeper in the Prem. Other Prem clubs would spend more than that on a reserve keeper and certainly a lot more than that for the main keeper?

We haven't signed Maenpaa yet. He delayed it last year as he wasn't considered the no. 1. The indications are he will sign, but it's not certain.

If Maenpaa doesn't sign we are back to square one as far as keepers are concerned then. Personally I would like to see him given a run out because he is rated and not a Brezovan type. In a fair world Matt would be the one trying to take the shirt off Maenpaa.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ah now - come on -

Do you not think that Valencia supporters discuss football and their team in the same depth as you and others supporters here do?

Now - what I have heard is that Ryan is not a bad goalkeeper - but Diego Alves is not exactly a world beater in goal. Valencia have a young goalie that they think a lot of and he moved past Ryan in the pecking order easily enough, Ryan was sent to Genk to get him in the shop window to try and move him on. It is not particularly good to see a mid-table team in Spain trying to sell their reserve goalie - but it could be because they didn't want him to inhibit the development of the young guy. I would have been more impressed if Hughton had to fight to get a guy that a team wanted to keep. Then again it is not easy find a goalie at a decent price that can play in the PL.

Now - he can do a lot of things well - but what I have been told is that he is inconsistent. I do hope that he turns out to be very good - but the brother-in-law wasn't particularly impressed.

First time I saw Edwin Van der Saar I thought he was crap. NOW. Well his record speaks for itself.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Having such a good keeper as Nikki waiting in the wings ensures the main keeper doesn't assume he is automatic choice

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Are we sure it is this way around?

If I knew the answer to that I would be Manager of BHA.

I don't know but you don't pay that sort of fee for him to start behind someone who wasn't first choice in the Championship but Nikki will probably know the jumper is up for grabs if Matt doesn't make it his own

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
LOL

Love that photo

I always say that contracts should be no more than 2 or 3 line paragraphs at any given point in the contract but that piece of paper looks like a multiple choice exam

Sounds very positive from that report. I am a little bit excited about this signing!

A good sign, he has hands like shovels:lolol:

And this:
Ryan said he chose Brighton ahead of a “few other clubs” because of their early interest. :thumbsup:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If Maenpaa doesn't sign we are back to square one as far as keepers are concerned then. Personally I would like to see him given a run out because he is rated and not a Brezovan type. In a fair world Matt would be the one trying to take the shirt off Maenpaa.

The Argus reported 10 days ago that Albion plan on having three established goalkeepers next season - An Australian playing in Spain and Belgium, with a Scottish mother and UK passport....the goalkeeper on the radar of Brighton and Hove Albion

Assuming Maenpaa does sign, that still means bringing in another goalkeeper given that Stockdale has now moved on.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
First time I saw Edwin Van der Saar I thought he was crap. NOW. Well his record speaks for itself.

Did you - I always thought he was an outstanding goalkeeper - but you are in good company, Alex Ferguson thought he was crap to when he signed for Fulham.

There will be a chance to see Ryan tomorrow when he plays Germany in Russia.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Assuming Maenpaa does sign, that still means bringing in another goalkeeper given that Stockdale has now moved on.

I would have thought so if we are to assume that Walton will be loaned out again to aid his progress.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
£5m is cheap for a goalkeeper in the Prem. Other Prem clubs would spend more than that on a reserve keeper and certainly a lot more than that for the main keeper?

Pickford at Everton for £30m 😱

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Walton to Wigan on loan stories gathering pace. I suppose we'll want to tie him to a contract extension first.

I would have expected the club to want to upgrade him to a Championship squad this season. If you are good enough and all that....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here