Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mrs Slocombe's Pussy

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Porridge was better than Are You Being Served by a mile.

Can't help think they have done this to make the three new sitcoms out shortly look better!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
AYBS was funnier for me, although I can't stand Matthew Horne who played the grandson of young Mr Grace. They tried to make it a fairly straight remake and I thought the actors made a decent fist of recreating their characters. In Porridge, Kevin Bishop certainly channelled his inner Ronnie Barker well. The guys who played Mr Barraclough and Mr Mackay type characters were excellent. This was the first hour of terrestrial TV I have watched, apart from sport, for a while, and it rewarded the effort. I enjoyed it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Didn't even know it was on. Expect the Beeb will have put the remake through the diversity/pc sieve.

Mr Humphries now happily married to Mr Lucas.

Mrs Slocombe a divorcee who has survived an abusive relationship.

Miss Brahms a bi sexual revolutionary feminist probably an ethnic minority background.

Mr Harman private contractor employee/zero hours contract etc

Captain Peacock as Captain Peacock (ie white, middle class, tory .... bad guy/ inherently evil).

Mr Rumbold see previous character.

The 'young' Mr Grace rebranded to represent a Mike Ashley type character.

How wrong you were.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
AYBS was funnier for me, although I can't stand Matthew Horne who played the grandson of young Mr Grace. They tried to make it a fairly straight remake and I thought the actors made a decent fist of recreating their characters. In Porridge, Kevin Bishop certainly channelled his inner Ronnie Barker well. The guys who played Mr Barraclough and Mr Mackay type characters were excellent. This was the first hour of terrestrial TV I have watched, apart from sport, for a while, and it rewarded the effort. I enjoyed it.

Totally agree. I watched both expecting to be rude about them afterwards. I thought tha actor who played the John Inman part was better than John Inman - quality actor. And the Porridge one did not attempt to recreate the Ronnie Barker character, which would have been sacrilege.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I thought they were both good, especially AYBS. I don't normally watch TV but sat through both .

Must say though there are some right miserable *******s on here who seem to take themselves and life far to seriously. These remakes were just light entertainment and not meant to be 'deep' or thought 'provoking'
#
It must be a right miserable experience at the AMEX with some of this lot.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Totally agree. I watched both expecting to be rude about them afterwards. I thought tha actor who played the John Inman part was better than John Inman - quality actor.

Jason Watkins is excellent. He won a BAFTA for his portrayal of Christopher Jeffries (and deservedly so) in the excellent TV drama of a couple of years ago. He's also appeared with the RSC and the National Theatre. He's a cut above the usual sitcom actor.

Having said that, I turned off AYBS as I thought it was dire. But I did quite enjoy Porridge - good to see that excellent character actor Dave Hill is still going in his 70s - he seemed to be in every gritty northern drama going in the 70s and 80s. And good to see Mark Bonnar in a comedy role - he seems to be in every police series going now.

Jul 7, 2003
Recognise most of the actors. Who is playing Mr Rumbold? His face looks familiar.

Justin Edwards was Mr Rumbold. He does a fair bit of comedy on Radio 4 and is married to Lucy Porter (very short and tiny comedienne). Probably best know for his character, failed childrens entertainer Jeremy Lion, drinking the 12 day s of Christmas - https://youtu.be/ugv1Ug4U-zs

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Totally agree. I watched both expecting to be rude about them afterwards. I thought tha actor who played the John Inman part was better than John Inman - quality actor. And the Porridge one did not attempt to recreate the Ronnie Barker character, which would have been sacrilege.

Jason Watkins is a brilliant actor, check out The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies, simply amazing in that.

I don't remember watching much of the original AYBS, but from what I've seen it was a decent enough homage. A good choice of actors to play the roles too.

I was fearful that Porridge would try and recreate the Ronnie Barker Fletch character which would have failed before it had even started. It wasn't too bad overall, a lot better than I was expecting.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Recorded both AYBS and Porrige and have just watched AYBS and thought it was absolute rubbish not funny at all and an insult to the origjnal. Hope Porrige is better.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Watched Victoria on ITV, which I thought was excellent, despite the Historical inaccuracies.

Loved the original Porridge, will watch the rehash on catch up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here