Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
I will be in a similar time boat to you too after losing my running mojo in December, couldn't believe how quick i lost fitness but hopefully back on track for an ok run Sunday and a build towards Brighton full marathon in April (fingers crossed) good luck to all Sunday who are running (pb 1-47) if i get under 1-50 i will be happy.

I could have written that myself (except the Brighton Marathon bit).

I'm hoping to come in under 1:50 ... will be delighted if I get near 1:45. Whilst the super-egos are battling it out nearer the front looking like there be another contest going on ...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'm hoping to come in under 1:50 ... will be delighted if I get near 1:45. Whilst the super-egos are battling it out nearer the front looking like there be another contest going on ...

Excellent. A second NSC race off. [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13238]D Block blue[/MENTION]
Think [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] has too much pedigree to go in this class. He needs a group between this and the super egos.
No holding hands that's only for the Weakest Link Relay.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Excellent. A second NSC race off. [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13238]D Block blue[/MENTION]
Think [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] has too much pedigree to go in this class. He needs a group between this and the super egos.
No holding hands that's only for the Weakest Link Relay.

Ye Gods I hope this isn't going to happen at Brighton. I'll be racing for the wooden spoon by myself :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ye Gods I hope this isn't going to happen at Brighton. I'll be racing for the wooden spoon by myself :lolol:

Marathon or half? I'm edging towards sandwiching the actual HM into a run to/from home, so making up (hopefully) marathon distance. If that happens, it's more than likely you'll be ahead of me...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Marathon or half? I'm edging towards sandwiching the actual HM into a run to/from home, so making up (hopefully) marathon distance. If that happens, it's more than likely you'll be ahead of me...

Half. I've already swapped the Brighton Marathon entry for the BM10k on the same day. Still not sure how far I can go yet and I think 13 miles could well be the limit for now. After yesterday's 5K baseline Macmillian tells me 2 hours dead is in sight if I train sensibly.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la

I think the biggest challenge could be the wind/ gusts, also the they are coming from the west/ west northerly but it will be dry, which is a little different direction to normal but will be behind for the strong finish. Anyone will do well to do a pb . Not done my home turf half run, so looking forward to it what ever the challenge brings :cool:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Are there any pace runners at Worthing on Sunday?

Brighton HM will have the following
Pacers
If you’re keen to achieve a certain target time for the race, we’ll have a team of pacers on race day pacing sub 2:30, sub 2:15, sub 2 hour, sub 1:45 and sub 1:30 hours to help you reach your goal. Find out more about our pacing team from RunBrighton.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Are there any pace runners at Worthing on Sunday?

Brighton HM will have the following
Pacers
If you’re keen to achieve a certain target time for the race, we’ll have a team of pacers on race day pacing sub 2:30, sub 2:15, sub 2 hour, sub 1:45 and sub 1:30 hours to help you reach your goal. Find out more about our pacing team from RunBrighton.

Yes. Don't quote me on it, but I think there are the same pacers (times, not actual people) at Worthing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck at Worthing everyone. I'm missing watching in the cold now as have to fit in a 3 hour long run. Have been learning some new downhill running techniques that I want to try out for the Moyleman.

[video]https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2016/may/31/annual-cheese-race-in-gloucestershite-video[/video]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good luck at Worthing everyone. I'm missing watching in the cold now as have to fit in a 3 hour long run. Have been learning some new downhill running techniques that I want to try out for the Moyleman.

[video]https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2016/may/31/annual-cheese-race-in-gloucestershite-video[/video]

That hill session on Strava looked a killer! Good work.

Today I ran another run off feel, attempting a sort of progression run with wind resistance. Basically I ran a 4 mile run with negative splits but miles 2.5 to 4 were back in to the strong breeze. Delighted that I still managed the last one in 8.30 before a jog / walk cooldown for another mile, still getting round the 5 miles in under 50 mins. I have to say today was the best I've felt since I was training regularly. I would estimate my steady pace is now around 9.25 which could give me HM pace of 9.00 ish, bringing me home in exactly 2 hours. I'd be well pleased with that if it happened.

Have also started core exercises, single leg squats and foam rolling which seems to be staving off the need to see Jesus.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good disciplined approach. I haven't tried single leg squats but will give them a go. My newest stretch is the similar forward lunge. It has worked wonders and also kept Jesus at bay.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So, I'm fairly sure I've not entered the Worthing Half Marathon. :laugh: So I'll be going to Worthing tomorrow to sign up!

My preparation has been on point, but I haven't ACTUALLY entered the event itself! What a time to be alive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well impressed with all the stuff on here and feeling ever so slightly guilty that I’m not involved in any local upcoming races........bit jealous.

Have got a place in the first-ever ‘pier marathon’ in Southend in March, another of the Sussex Trail Events guys ‘we made it up in the pub’ ideas, but the Steyning Stinger clashes with our Arsenal game (I think) so gutted to be missing that as it’s one of my favourites. Might rock up at a parkrun at some point, but otherwise plan looks like Southend Pier, Grizzly Peak 50k in San Francisco whilst on holiday (not told the missus yet) then London Marathon the week after and then trying to get my head around a third attempt at the SDW100 miler and that elusive sub 24 hour/one day belt buckle.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So, I'm fairly sure I've not entered the Worthing Half Marathon. :laugh: So I'll be going to Worthing tomorrow to sign up!

My preparation has been on point, but I haven't ACTUALLY entered the event itself! What a time to be alive.

Classic. :lolol::lolol:

On the website it says that entries on the day are going to be cheaper as he has run out of medals. Problem is will you get up in time.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Classic. :lolol::lolol:

On the website it says that entries on the day are going to be cheaper as he has run out of medals. Problem is will you get up in time.

This is also my plan as I decided to enter. I was late last year and started at the back and seem to remember Ninja was also a late starter.....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is also my plan as I decided to enter. I was late last year and started at the back and seem to remember Ninja was also a late starter.....

I was the final starter last year, right at the very back! I was having a nice chat with a lady who told me she had a book with her, and was planning at least two stops en route!

Hove Prom parkrun today as a final leg stretcher ahead of the big day, I ran 18:57 according to my watch so we'll see what the official time is but I think it'll be my first sub 19 on the Prom. I did consider trying to pip [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] at the top of the table on the eve of our contest, but ultimately I didn't quite pace it right (the maths is easier tomorrow!) and had to let that dream pass.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

:lolol: textbook

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Finally managed to get to parkrun this year. Ran the 6 miles from seaford with plenty of time to spare then turned in a new PB of 21:33, so well chuffed with that b4 running home. Starting feel confident for Brighton half and Seaford Striders first club race of the year at Preston park park run next weekend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here