Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you feel if Tony Bloom sold the club to the Chinese?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Couldn't we have a Brexit style Poll and say we are democratically xenophobic and that Tony has to get over it?.
What is a 'Brexit style poll' and how is it different from an ordinary poll? Many of us, it is obvious from this thread, would be uneasy about a Chinese takeover, but it's a bit insulting to imply that makes us all xenophobes.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
TB is a fan like the rest of us at the end of the day, I am 100% confident he would not consider selling any % of the club to anyone that didn't have its best interests at heart.

I would be very surprised if he hasn't already had a number of calls offering to buy some or all of the club, given our situation and location we must be a very attractive proposition for a foreign investor.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What is a 'Brexit style poll' and how is it different from an ordinary poll? Many of us, it is obvious from this thread, would be uneasy about a Chinese takeover, but it's a bit insulting to imply that makes us all xenophobes.

Do you have an alarm that goes off every time someone types "Brexit"?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd be very, very unhappy if the club was sold to overseas "investors". We could not possibly be in better hands right now. We have the rare luxury of knowing that the owner of BHAFC is 100% trustworthy, and will always act with the clubs best interests at heart. Its not an ego trip for Bloom. Its not a plaything. Its not something he uses to seek a high profile in the media, or with his business associates. First and foremost, he's a lifetime fan, who just so happens to have pockets deeper Neville Southall's bath.

Not ALL foreign owners are "bad" of course. And there are plenty of UK-based owners who have made a right old Horlicks of their clubs, whether it was deliberate or not (us in the past, Blackpool, Bolton). But I look at the owners of Blackburn, Birmingham, Wolves, Cardiff, Leeds, Forest, Pompey (wonderfully), Orient, Villa, Notts County, and the sheer levels of cluelessness in the boardrooms at those clubs just makes me shudder. Those owners are so detached from the most important aspect of whats needed to make a club successful - stability - that they just lurch from one disaster to another as those clubs invariably stagnate, and then inevitably tumble.

We could not possibly have a better owner than TB. I know he'd always do his utmost to leave us in safe hands, but I honestly hope that I never see the day he sells up.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree with most of the sentiment shown on here. Also worth adding he is only 46 so has a good 25-30 years left of good health and therefore the time where he may need to sell is some way away, unless he runs out of money which seems unlikely to me.

However if someone comes in and offers him his money back plus 50%, and says they will invest a further vast sum into making BHAFC a champions league contender what would you say/do? It may not happen, but it certainly could in today's very odd football world.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd absolutely hate it. All the far eastern owners in both the PL and Championship seem to be completely clueless about football culture. There's no loyalty to them and they're likely to get bored of their plaything a couple of years.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's all about change, so if I was to accept someone else taking over from Sir Tone, then I'd want his opposite, perhaps from a North Korean bank. Someone fiendish should rule the roost in the wake of our saint.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd feel very let down.

When we wrestled control of the club from Archer the clause was put in to prevent single ownership of the club again. Knight reluctantly agreed to waive this to get the investment in the stadium, but he sold up to the right man and to someone he trusted.

To see it all sold - well I think its incredibly far-fetched - but to go along with the hypothesis of this thread, yeah I'd feel very let down

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Irrelevant, surely? Bloom's holding is such that he controls the club so if anyone bought him out they'd control the club, regardless of the minority shareholders.

Back to the opening question: if it meant pancake rolls featuring in the concourse outlets then I could be persuaded.

Agreed, but in investment terms many people are put off of investing in a company with minority shareholders who don't take dilution. Although he/she may buy the club for say £500m to TB, but then go on to invest in squad, facilities etc and lump another £mx2 ... x3 etc and that benefits everyone.

Just my observation, on the pancake rolls you're so wrong, think you meant to say pots of chicken and mushroom with egg fried rice, non of your pastry crap! :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If you can believe what his Uncle Ray said when Tony bought the Club, he did it to restore control of the Albion to the Bloom family. Selling the Club to the Chinese (or, indeed, anyone else) would simply negate that original intention. It won't happen.

Whilst I agree and can't see this happening, foreign investors have a huge amount of liquid to invest. Imagine a small club like us, we're not talking SWFC or LUFC now, was to make it to the Premier League and retain our position. TB then knows the golden rule of business is you can't stand still, it never works, so what next?

Foreign owner says, "Tell you what TB old chap, I'll lump in £xM and take say 25%" TB still has control.

This takes us to a Top 10 club with ambitions to break the Top 6, because you can't stand still, and more cash is needed ..... just an observation.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
maybe Vincent tan likes the look of us :clap:

.... and he'd allow us to retain our blue stripes, but would want the white stripes replaced with red?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Seeing your chairman and owner on the train/platform/getting in taxi at station or even in amongst the crowd at away games adds something extra to whole experience. He's a true fan and makes the whole #together theme fitting for this club at so many levels.

It will be a very sad day when that is gone, unless his son takes over and is equally passionate. The good news is that I think he's far from done yet.

Regarding foreign investment, I imagine it will be an inevitability unless we can track down another football loving, albion supporting, brighton based billionaire businessman who has strong family ties to the club. Unless he keeps it in the family as Norwich seem to be doing which their fans are not happy about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Despite the claims on other forums, Bloom is one of the few chairman doing things the right way. He doesn't overspend on overpriced players and has hugely invested in the infrastructure to try and make the club self sufficient and sustainable. We sign either younger players with high potential resale value or older, experienced players on frees or loans where the only outlay is wages. He won't cash in where he could make a quick buck when it is not in the club's interest. He shows loyalty to staff beyond most other chairman.

He has spent an awful lot of money so other clubs are right to be envious but very little of it has been wasted or gambling. There have been a few failed calculated gambles on players like Elvis but no Adebayors. And certainly no Derby/Massive scatter gun 'buy as many strikers as you can' strategy.

If there is a better chairman in the league then I am unaware of him. Just because someone throws money at overpriced players, that doesn't make them a good chairman in my eyes. I would be very upset if we ever sold to faceless foreign investors who want us as a play thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here