Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
RMT were offered a deal, including safety trained responsibility for OBS (among other things). RMT didnt agree to the deal. Southern gave notice to all staff they were redundant and to reapply to the new OBS role. RMT advised members to take up the offer (otherwise they'd be without work). upshot is that the new role is as specified by Southern without the input of RMT, and less many of the offered terms. And Mick Cash knows this, so is rather disingenuous to say he is distressed, unless its from his members realising what a cockup it was.

if its true that ASLEF has secured a safety critical role for OBS, its a poorer reflection on the RMT as a union, though helps the staff and commuters.

yeah, take your point, thanks

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They think it's all over..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can't see a specific thread for the Tube Strikes... but, the strike next week has been suspended by the RMT.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38868403

Two massive stories here.

Firstly the outright snobbery and racism of the lawyer in first class, telling an Asian woman and her son, 'they did not belong'. She is a qualified solicitor.

Secondly, Earlier, MacKinnon was also heard speaking on his phone, saying that it was "my word against hers".
The train guard then approached MacKinnon and told him: "It's not just your word against hers, it's mine as well because I heard it all."

A fine is not enough, and he should be censured by the Law Society.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Surprised it's not on here already, but the RMT have been saying this morning that the 'deal' ASLEF are putting to their membership is a betrayal of the RMT and their menbers

http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-reaction-to-tucsouthern-rail-betrayal/

February 2017

RMT Press Office:RMT reaction to TUC/Southern Rail betrayal of safety and the conductor grade.

General Secretary Mick Cash said;

"This so-called agreement is a shocking and historical betrayal presided over by the TUC of not only the conductor grade and drivers , but also passengers, including disabled passengers, who have lost the guarantee of a second member of staff on their trains.

"This abysmal document lists a whole host of areas where a a train can leave without a second member of staff that will leave both the driver and passengers exposed and vulnerable and which also represents a thin end of the wedge that will lead to the destaffing of trains. "Loyal and dedicated conductors, who have fought for safety for over a year have had the legs kicked from under them by those who are supposed to be on their side. Passengers and staff alike have been sold out by a stitch up cooked up in Congress House by the TUC and the bosses whilst Southern, one of the most anti union and hated companies of recent times, is laughing all the way to the bank and have been given a free run to rip up the safety rule book in the name of profits. "This is not a deal it is a disgrace and the RMT dispute remains on and we will fight this shocking betrayal with every tool at our disposal.

"We remain availble for talks " Ends

On BBC Sussex they had a rail expert on this morning who said he thought the ASLEF members would reject the deal, and he's heard that some were considering leaving ASLEF and joining another Union....

Looks like it's far from over.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Surprised it's not on here already, but the RMT have been saying this morning that the 'deal' ASLEF are putting to their membership is a betrayal of the RMT and their menbers

On BBC Sussex they had a rail expert on this morning who said he thought the ASLEF members would reject the deal, and he's heard that some were considering leaving ASLEF and joining another Union....

Shocking deal. Aslef are going to explain tomorrow why they agreed to this deal but everyone I have spoken to have already sent their vote back saying no.
Depends on the London depots but can see this going on for months to come.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Shocking deal. Aslef are going to explain tomorrow why they agreed to this deal but everyone I have spoken to have already sent their vote back saying no.

Odd that ASLEF would agree to a deal that seemingly isn't acceptable to their membership.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Absolutely. No one wants this dispute to continue but no way can we agree with this terrible deal. I await to hear what Aslef have to say for themselves but I have yet to hear any driver who will vote in favour of this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont believe its been fully published, but from the reports it looks worse than that offered to RMT last autumn, except items to address specific concerns of the drivers re cameras. how long will the drivers sacrifice pay for the sake of the RMT that abandoned meaningful resolution?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Absolutely. No one wants this dispute to continue but no way can we agree with this terrible deal. I await to hear what Aslef have to say for themselves but I have yet to hear any driver who will vote in favour of this.

A lot of questions to be asked, how come it took 2 weeks to come to a deal that is 100% in Southern's favour ? Why the TUC split the unions involved ? For starters

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I think this was the rail expert who originally costed the saving of gtr not employing enough people to be safety critical obs with only very few reasons to run without one e.g a proper emergency, was less than 50 pence per daily ticket

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
dont believe its been fully published, but from the reports it looks worse than that offered to RMT last autumn, except items to address specific concerns of the drivers re cameras. how long will the drivers sacrifice pay for the sake of the RMT that abandoned meaningful resolution?

The deal states that that company have until Autumn 2020 to install new cameras in all 377's (if it's even possible) In the meantime we are to continue using the old ones. Safety my arse.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A lot of questions to be asked, how come it took 2 weeks to come to a deal that is 100% in Southern's favour ? Why the TUC split the unions involved ? For starters

Certainly beggars belief that ASLEF representatives took a whole fortnight to roll over and have their bellies tickled by GTR. Could have wrapped the whole thing up in a couple of hours for all the concessions they've (not) won.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Certainly beggars belief that ASLEF representatives took a whole fortnight to roll over and have their bellies tickled by GTR. Could have wrapped the whole thing up in a couple of hours for all the concessions they've (not) won.

I bet the lunches at the TUC are very nice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I bet the lunches at the TUC are very nice.

And some very nice restaurants and West End shows for the ASLEF reps and their significant others to enjoy I wouldn't wonder. ASLEF rank and file members should be demanding a full breakdown of their reps expense claims for that fortnight. Because they appear to have done **** all in relation to looking after their members' interests.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here