Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Northants v Sussex County Championship 23-09-14 10.30 start

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
26 x 4 day innings and not 1 century. Not good enough if we have aspirations of challenging for titles. You have to blame the management blindly picking him as an opener. Maybe drop him down order (as per successful second innings at Trent Bridge). Otherwise he's rapidly becoming our new Joe Gatting.

The trouble with that is, who does open? Joyce clearly doesn't fancy it as he has dropped down the order (with fantastic effect, it would be mad to move him up again), as has Yardy. Cachopa is a bit inexperienced, Prior and RHB are injured, Brown is certainly not good enough. Wright? Machan? Neither would fill me with confidence.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In other news, Lancashire need to make 350 in their first innings, and win the match, to be sure of staying up v Middlesex.

Middlesex decision to have a knock does seem a little strange though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In other news, Lancashire need to make 350 in their first innings, and win the match, to be sure of staying up v Middlesex.

Middlesex decision to have a knock does seem a little strange though.

Only in hindsight. Midds only needed the draw and it's easier to dictate the pace of the game if you bat first.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Only in hindsight. Midds only needed the draw and it's easier to dictate the pace of the game if you bat first.

Have to disagree, our Hans.

Middlesex just need six points from the match (- any Lancashire fail to win). They needed to bowl Lancashire out for under 350 and make just 200 themselves. Bowl Lancashire out for under 300, and they couldn't be caught. On a cloudy and rainy day, with a seaming pitch, I would have put them in.

Then again, I was a village seamer meself, so I would say that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Have to disagree, our Hans.

Middlesex just need six points from the match (- any Lancashire fail to win). They needed to bowl Lancashire out for under 350 and make just 200 themselves. Bowl Lancashire out for under 300, and they couldn't be caught. On a cloudy and rain day, with a seaming pitch, I would have put them in.

Then again, I was a village seamer meself, so I would say that.

I am also a village seamer. These guys are not though. People like Rogers are class, steady batsmen. They'd back themselves to see off the new ball then plod to 300 however long it took, and the points would be in the bag.

They are still well in the driving seat anyway. All they need to do is bowl Lancs out for 299 and it's curtains. Or in fact jus restrict them to 299 after 110 overs.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am also a village seamer. These guys are not though. People like Rogers are class, steady batsmen. They'd back themselves to see off the new ball then plod to 300 however long it took, and the points would be in the bag.

They are still well in the driving seat anyway. All they need to do is bowl Lancs out for 299 and it's curtains. Or in fact jus restrict them to 299 after 110 overs.

Envious of the present context. The thing we both probably agree on is the desire to see Hampshire stay up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Envious of the present context. The thing we both probably agree on is the desire to see Hampshire stay up.

My pace is mostly past context. I played a decent standard of club cricket for years, the highest in the Merseyside Competition for Aigburth CC. Reached 100 wickets in a season just the once (although that did involve playing a LOT of cricket!). I took 16 wickets in one weekend when I was good, 9/26 in the league game, and 7/14 in the Sunday game.

I'm 43 now and just happy to have a day in the sunshine, playing in the same village team as my Dad and my oldest son - that's pretty special.

Special place too;
image.jpg
image.jpg

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My pace is mostly past context. I played a decent standard of club cricket for years, the highest in the Merseyside Competition for Aigburth CC. Reached 100 wickets in a season just the once (although that did involve playing a LOT of cricket!). I took 16 wickets in one weekend when I was good, 9/26 in the league game, and 7/14 in the Sunday game.

I'm 43 now and just happy to have a day in the sunshine, playing in the same village team as my Dad and my oldest son - that's pretty special.

Special place too;
View attachment 58911
View attachment 58912

Looks very similar to Street and Westmeston's ground (at the foot of the Downs), although I see you are in Hampshire, which doubtless has some equally attractive venues. I could easily spend an afternoon watching in a deck chair in one of those pictures.

I only played friendly village cricket on the Sussex circuit. My best bowling was 9/16 in 1992. Punctured by one of their best batsman having a huff and going home at tea. That said, when I had reached eight wickets, a young lad bowling at the other end had a caught behind turned down when the batsman was clearly out. I was rather annoyed with the umpire as I would rather have swept the lot without anyone else helping.

I've made many friends over the years, Cricket at that level is a wonderfully social game. Looks like you have played at a higher level. I did play some league stuff, with varied success (for the now defunct Peacehaven) but prefered friendlies.

I did pass fifty twice with the bat, but such were my inadequacies, at one stage it was looking likely that I would finish my playing days with more wickets than runs....

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looks very similar to Street and Westmeston's ground (at the foot of the Downs), although I see you are in Hampshire, which doubtless has some equally attractive venues. I could easily spend an afternoon watching in a deck chair in one of those pictures.

I only played friendly village cricket on the Sussex circuit. My best bowling was 9/16 in 1992. Punctured by one of their best batsman having a huff and going home at tea. That said, when I had reached eight wickets, a young lad bowling at the other end had a caught behind turned down when the batsman was clearly out. I was rather annoyed with the umpire as I would rather have swept the lot without anyone else helping.

I've made many friends over the years, Cricket at that level is a wonderfully social game. Looks like you have played at a higher level. I did play some league stuff, with varied success (for the now defunct Peacehaven) but prefered friendlies.

I did pass fifty twice with the bat, but such were my inadequacies, at one stage it was looking likely that I would finish my playing days with more wickets than runs....

It is actually Sussex - it's Parham Park, near Storrington. It's an hour's drive from where I now live, but I don't mind - I've played there since I was 12, and spent Sundays there all my life. I don't get to play that much nowadays - 5 matches this year. The 3 generations playing together is magic.

I can identify with your batting - 2 fifties in 30 years for me, and NONE for Parham! It's clearly not an inherited thing though - my Dad has 61 tons to his name. He never chose to play serious cricket, but was a very fine cricketer. A few people on here would know an Albion fan called Jon Knight - Jon and my Dad once put on 300 for the first wicket in a (40 over) Brighton League match!

10 wickets is the holy grail. I've never done it, and never played in a match when anybody has. When I took 9, the one I didn't get was the 5th to fall, so it was never on. First game this year I actually took the first 6 to fall, and then had the next 2 dropped, before I got massive cramp! 15 overs in the first game at this age was a terrible idea, but I didn't want to come off, when the chance was there! I suffered for over a week afterwards, and my wife told me I was 'very silly'...

I once took the 10th wicket when another lad had all 9, but it was a league match with a 15 over bowler limit, and I was bowling wide of the stumps for the last 3 overs, until his quota was spent. He actually had his final over at a really young kid (12 maybe) and beat him literally every ball, but did everything but hit the stumps. Gutted!

Village cricket is in a bit of a lull right now. We regularly struggled for 11 this season, and a few opposition side arrived short, or even had to cancel through not being able to field a team. It's a worry.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Never give up on the quest for that elusive 100. I got my first league ton at the age of 54. Never thought it would happen.
(Hans, played with your brother for many years at Wallington before he moved up north)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never give up on the quest for that elusive 100. I got my first league ton at the age of 54. Never thought it would happen.
(Hans, played with your brother for many years at Wallington before he moved up north)

Nice place. I came and played once at your six a side thing.

My Dad got his first at 40, and has racked them up since. I never really get the opportunity to bat for more than a handful of overs, mind.

My brother's oldest lad is the good cricketer. Got his first adult league ton (153) this summer at the age of 15.

Talent skips a generation - he didn't get it from Matt!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A few people on here would know an Albion fan called Jon Knight
We used to (very pithily) call him "Knight Rider" and regularly watched in admiration as he flayed our bowlers to all parts... particularly happy memories of the Barns Green Six-a-Side competition that really suited his swashbuckling style :carnage:

Should have played a higher standard but I guess, like many others, preferred to play with his mates and family? Does he still play?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not the Jon Knight who played for Patcham? I'm still having knightmares now. We played against him with 8 once, it really wasn't that much fun.
Yes, I'm sure it is the same bloke. Against only 8 players I'd like to think he showed some mercy and gave up when he had a hundred...?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We used to (very pithily) call him "Knight Rider" and regularly watched in admiration as he flayed our bowlers to all parts... particularly happy memories of the Barns Green Six-a-Side competition that really suited his swashbuckling style :carnage:

Should have played a higher standard but I guess, like many others, preferred to play with his mates and family? Does he still play?

Not the Jon Knight who played for Patcham? I'm still having knightmares now. We played against him with 8 once, it really wasn't that much fun.

The same chap yes. I played for Patcham Priory with him after Priory and the original Patcham merged. Not sure if he's still playing. Not seen him for a while.

He could certainly hit the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here