Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Drink driving - why?

el punal

Pretty strict but still not enough of a deterrent. Our older generation still have a really shitty attitude to it too, many see no problems with 2 big glasses or wine or a few pints and then driving back from a country pub. There really is no excuse for it and baffling that many don't appreciate how reckless it is.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement to say that the older generation have a shitty attitude to drink driving. What you should be saying is that certain elements of EVERY generation have a shitty attitude. It comes down to totally selfish and ignorant individuals who don't give a monkey's and think they're alright to drive to regardless of how much they've consumed.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
What does "zero drinking" actually mean?

Prohibition of alcohol.
I am not advocating that this should be implemented, we all know what happened in the USA when they tried it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

When we buy alcohol we can be sure that drinking in moderation will not kill us as it is a monitored industry

This is the same situation as our 'War on drugs' which indecently has been going on for over 100 years which we are still winning according to the government.

Biker-Marty

Mar 15, 2018
Having just been onto Twatter to have a look, it seems like there are HUNDREDS of people who are using that as an excuse on his behalf...

TBH honest, think this is a poor excuse.

As a sufferer of Mental Health Issues, myself. I would, not expect to be treated differently, just because I was caught Drink Driving over the limit (Not something I actually Do BTW)
If this was the case, suddenly every one stopped for this offence, would suddenly claim to suffer from a mental issue, just to avoid a ban/fine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not know the stats on this but would think that the worst offenders are the 50- 65 age group as we have always done it and I have been driving 40 years syndrome.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If you think a car in front is a drink-driver then you need to call the police there and then. It could save a life.

I could never, ever drink and drive. Not a drop. The potential effects on so many people are so huge if something happened. I would happily pay for someone
to get a taxi than see them risk it. Just stupidity and selfishness.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I do not know the stats on this but would think that the worst offenders are the 50- 65 age group as we have always done it and I have been driving 40 years syndrome.

As I posted previously, drink driving is almost unique in that the demographics are very widely spread across age/gender/wealth. You're just as likely to see a 20 year old woman as a retired man.
Have a google for "Court results excess alcohol"

Incidentally, the highest reading I ever encountered was a woman stopped on a sunday afternoon in Hailsham who had blown 175 in breath - that's over 5 times the legal limit. She claimed to have had a "couple of small glasses of wine"

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Are you seriously comparing someone having a drink the day before, not realising they could still be over the limit as the same as killing someone when driving?

Don't look for excuses take responsibility, if you know you are driving the next day don't drink the night before.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would never drink and drive but I must admit in the past I would have been liable to have failed a breathalyser the next day. I wonder how many people are fall into that category without fully realising they are still over the limit..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite the opposite. As with alcohol consumption the danger increases as speed (or alcohol level) increases. The government have decreed that there is a limit above which you are breaking the law. Your assertion was that if you're not over the limit you're safe; I disagree.
I see no evidence to show that it's dangerous to drive when you've had a very small amount of alcohol, that's what I'm saying. I don't know what 34.9mg/100ml is like as I don't know how much alcohol that is for me, or how that would affect other people. I'm not arguing for the present limit, I'm just arguing that the limit shouldn't be zero.

You might not, but you would be wrong.
That's nonsense and you've got nothing to show otherwise.

If you went somewhere with no drink drive laws (like Burkina Faso for example) would you be able to drive perfectly after 2 drinks ? Or three ? Or 10 ? Of course not, the affect is cumulative.
So your argument is that because 10 pints of beer make me incapable of driving properly, then 1 teaspoon of beer would also negatively impact my ability to drive. That's complete nonsense based on no evidence whatsoever.
If you cannot see that you are either being deliberately obtuse or deliberately argumentative.
Pot kettle.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I see no evidence to show that it's dangerous to drive when you've had a very small amount of alcohol, that's what I'm saying. I don't know what 34.9mg/100ml is like as I don't know how much alcohol that is for me, or how that would affect other people. I'm not arguing for the present limit, I'm just arguing that the limit shouldn't be zero.

That's nonsense and you've got nothing to show otherwise.

So your argument is that because 10 pints of beer make me incapable of driving properly, then 1 teaspoon of beer would also negatively impact my ability to drive. That's complete nonsense based on no evidence whatsoever.
Pot kettle.

Off topic, when you reply like this does it count as 4 posts or 1?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Don't look for excuses take responsibility, if you know you are driving the next day don't drink the night before.

"That really was a tough week Francis. Fancy a quick Friday night pint?"
"Sorry, Hugh, I've got to pick up the kids at 8pm tomorrow so better not"

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
"That really was a tough week Francis. Fancy a quick Friday night pint?"
"Sorry, Hugh, I've got to pick up the kids at 8pm tomorrow so better not"

Exactly my point. Could you be certain that there was absolutely zero alcohol in your system after a couple of pints (and I do mean just a couple) the night before?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here