Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ashley Barnes' five a side team

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Matt Ryan
Bruno
Mark Lawrenson
Vicente
Peter Ward

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What’s the connection? Use of weigh bridges?

Some of them featured in the Evenng Standard 5 a side compo that was shown on the telly in the 1980s (I was living in London then so it could have been a London telly thing). It was always hyped up then most of the players were fringe players. SO disappointing. Vinny Samways was a standout character. Massive chin, and never destined to be a Spuds first team regular. Masses of enthusiasm. Went on to become one of the most heavily cardeed players of all time - more cards than Peter Shilton has caps (or even, allegedly, women on the go).

Also:

Steve Bruce. It was noted at the time that despite playing for the Greatest Team in the World he still hadn't played for England. A situation that, in the coming years, never changed. :lolol:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
OK my turn:

Vicente (obvs)
Knockaert (Mazy runs, could weasel out of tight spots)
Barnes (Workrate)
Upson (You need a defender, good with his feet/strong)
Bridcutt (Enforcer/breaks up play)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On our official site (sorry you have to subscribe to watch it) our players pick their 5 a side team.

Barnes was asked to pick a team of former players that he has played with.

Here is his team......

Tom Heaton (good old Ashley :lolol: )
Michael Keane
Ben Cleverley (Paulton Rovers)
Vicente Rodriguez
Leonardo Ulloa

My question is.... Ulloa for a 5 a side team, really?

You lot know more about him than I do, what do you think?

Looks a very slow 5 a side team, but it has VICENTE in it. He'd just stroll through teams for fun. I still can't believe we had Vicente. It's mental!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
1. Ryan ; all about reflexes.
2. Bruno ; 100%. Can't think of a more suited defender for a game of five a side
3. Bridcutt ; keep possession = win at five a side. And will naturally cover when Bruno rampages forward
4. Vicente ; obviously
5. Knight ; the chippy little bugger would be ace at finishing off Vicente's work. And if the game turns out to be against one of those groups of lads spoiling for a fight, Leon can go at them on his own.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
5. Knight ; the chippy little bugger would be ace at finishing off Vicente's work. And if the game turns out to be against one of those groups of lads spoiling for a fight, Leon can go at them on his own.
It was all I could do to keep my mouthful of tea in, it nearly did cover the keyboard.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
wash your mouth out, and give yourself a self imposed month ban for such outrage

Undoubtedly the greatest individual talent I've ever seen play for us. However, the whole approach when he played for us seemed to be pass it to Vicente and hope for the best. It didn't work as it meant we stopped playing as a team.

Oct 25, 2003
Another 5 a side wizard would be Darren Currie. Can imagine him frustrating a team of 20 year old lads by strolling round the pitch absolutely bossing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Kuipers
Cullip
Oatway
Carpenter
Knight

Fk turning up against that lot. Danny would bellow out they "They don't f*cking want it lads" before kick off and that would be me going missing for the match.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Kuipers
Cullip
Oatway
Carpenter
Knight

Fk turning up against that lot. Danny would bellow out they "They don't f*cking want it lads" before kick off and that would be me going missing for the match.

I'd probably swap Barnes for Knight - Knight's just a bit of a gobsh*te, but Barnes will leave an elbow in or trip you up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here