Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What no Knockaert?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
March was right back a lot of the time because Schelotto struggles in a back 4.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think its easy to understand - he doesn't want to disrupt our defensive shape & understanding by making certain subs late on in games, presumably considering that the odds of a sub making a positive attacking change are less than the odds of us conceding at the other end as a result, particularly in an away game where we are under pressure and have a valuable point on the line (we'd have been in the relegation zone if we'd lost)

Whether one agrees with this is of course up to them, but the logic makes sense

Winning games keeps you out of the relegation zone. At some point we have to start doing that. And you only win games by scoring goals. Eventually Chris will realise this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
March wasn't tearing up trees and I'm not sure Izquierdo touched the ball in the second half, yet there was no indication that Knockaert was going to be given a run out at all.

He didn't make the squad v Chelsea and an unused sub today when it felt like we needed to try, well, something or anything in the second half.

I was slightly surprised we didn't see him given a go at some point tonight.

March wasn't tearing up trees, but crucially with about 10 minutes to go, he battled won the ball and looked up to pass it forward.

Great - no.

At the time Solly was behind the Greyhound almost able to touch the by-line, and the area he was looking to pass into was missing one key component...

...no prizes for guessing what that was!!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I love Chris.

I will always love his Chris. But I find his lack of attacking subs/delaying until the last few mins of match utterly baffling. When our inverted wingers are such a massive part of how we play I just don’t understand why they’re not subbed when looking totally out on their feet.

Exactly how I feel. Last night really wasnt a good point. We hung on and were bloody lucky to get anything against a very poor saints team. Our midfield barely touched the ball second half. Its so frustrating when you see teams making subs knowing we wont make any changes until it's too late. I just don't understand it!?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My LFC fan mate said to me that they loved AK but he's not what you need when you're in the trenches...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
March wasn't tearing up trees, but crucially with about 10 minutes to go, he battled won the ball and looked up to pass it forward.

Great - no.

At the time Solly was behind the Greyhound almost able to touch the by-line, and the area he was looking to pass into was missing one key component...

...no prizes for guessing what that was!!

I thought March was particularly poor, his crossing terrible (corner in the last minute straight at the keeper...) whenever Schelotto, an ever willing running overlapped, March kept giving the ball away, and because he bottles pretty much every tackle he goes for, he gives away numerous free kicks including the one they scored from. He looks like his confidence has evaporated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought March was particularly poor, his crossing terrible (corner in the last minute straight at the keeper...) whenever Schelotto, an ever willing running overlapped, March kept giving the ball away, and because he bottles pretty much every tackle he goes for, he gives away numerous free kicks including the one they scored from. He looks like his confidence has evaporated.

I think there's a awful lot of 'rosy specs' surrounding March.

There's no way he was as good as posters thought, before promotion.
It was all but impossible for him to become as good as poster assumed.

After a poster wrote this:-
Solly is more than capable of x 7 - 10 goals, Antony Knock x 10 if both fit across a full season.

I pointed out that in the Premier League that were unrealistic, I was told to put my money where my mouth was, by 2 posters.
I guess they are grateful I wouldn't bet on one of ours 'failing', instead sincerely hoping they were able to :bounce: my pessimism.

So now in some peoples eyes he's a 'failure' through no fault of his own, he's just not living up to their hype.

The bee in your bonnet is Solly's lack of tackling, that's fine and understandable but, can you please name 1 crunching, 50/50, tackle Solly launched into before the Premier League?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Is that the first time he and Schelotto have played together down the right hand side? This season, March has been dropped despite arguably being our best player in the first 5 games of the season, played left wing, basically as a LB, played right wing (and consequently as a RB), as an interior attacker against Chelski... all whilst having no real opportunity to build any relationship with any particular player due to our full backs changing more regularly than I change my underwear.

And you wonder why the kid isn’t looking quite so sharp in his first season in the top flight...

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
March played as a Right back for long periods. It looked ridiculous having him and schellotto there. Never seen a team play 2 RBs.

Thought March did ok last night, has to spend far to much time defending because Schelotto dosnt know how too.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think there's a awful lot of 'rosy specs' surrounding March.

There's no way he was as good as posters thought, before promotion.
It was all but impossible for him to become as good as poster assumed.

After a poster wrote this:-
Solly is more than capable of x 7 - 10 goals, Antony Knock x 10 if both fit across a full season.

I pointed out that in the Premier League that were unrealistic, I was told to put my money where my mouth was, by 2 posters.
I guess they are grateful I wouldn't bet on one of ours 'failing', instead sincerely hoping they were able to :bounce: my pessimism.

So now in some peoples eyes he's a 'failure' through no fault of his own, he's just not living up to their hype.

The bee in your bonnet is Solly's lack of tackling, that's fine and understandable but, can you please name 1 crunching, 50/50, tackle Solly launched into before the Premier League?

I guess we didn't really need him to make them in the Championship. Now though when possession is such a rare commodity missing out on a ball you should win is magnified 10-fold. I have got my bee in a bonnet because it's just a lack of bravery. At the very least I want 11 Albion shirts putting their bodies on the line.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is that the first time he and Schelotto have played together down the right hand side? This season, March has been dropped despite arguably being our best player in the first 5 games of the season, played left wing, basically as a LB, played right wing (and consequently as a RB), as an interior attacker against Chelski... all whilst having no real opportunity to build any relationship with any particular player due to our full backs changing more regularly than I change my underwear.

And you wonder why the kid isn’t looking quite so sharp in his first season in the top flight...

He did start well and also IMO he was harshly dropped.

He gets pushed into the LB and RB position and Bruno, Suttner, Bong and Schelotto should be in his ear pushing him up.

But, can’t tackle (the free-kick was stupidity). His crossing is so poor, his first touch is to slow the play down, rather than making an incisive movement.

For me he doesn’t warrant a starting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Knockaert has been a little tempestuous of late. There has been occasions where he's been tackled and gone down looking for a free kick, and he's stayed down rather than tracking back, complaining to the ref whilst the opposition has gone up the other end. I think it's a little bit of frustration on his part. It won't do him any harm sitting out a few games. Hopefully he'll be back keener and hungrier against West Ham and determined to show Chris that he deserves his place in the starting 11. I think it's good man management from Chris. I expect to see Knocky starting against West Ham and tearing into them like a whirling dervish!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He did start well and also IMO he was harshly dropped.

He gets pushed into the LB and RB position and Bruno, Suttner, Bong and Schelotto should be in his ear pushing him up.

But, can’t tackle (the free-kick was stupidity). His crossing is so poor, his first touch is to slow the play down, rather than making an incisive movement.

For me he doesn’t warrant a starting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Too much sentimentality I feel is clouding some opinions.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I love Chris.

I will always love his Chris. But I find his lack of attacking subs/delaying until the last few mins of match utterly baffling. When our inverted wingers are such a massive part of how we play I just don’t understand why they’re not subbed when looking totally out on their feet.

I came to the conclusion, some time ago, that he hasn't got out of his mind that substitutions were basicall to cover injuries and NOT for tactical reasons.

Best keep them on the bench in case we lose two or three to injury - Oh, ten minutes to go, we could still suffer injury and musn't have the possibility of having to see out the game with only ten men !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think its easy to understand - he doesn't want to disrupt our defensive shape & understanding by making certain subs late on in games, presumably considering that the odds of a sub making a positive attacking change are less than the odds of us conceding at the other end as a result, particularly in an away game where we are under pressure and have a valuable point on the line (we'd have been in the relegation zone if we'd lost)

Whether one agrees with this is of course up to them, but the logic makes sense

Sadly I fear that may only be delayed by a week or two.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
They did switch with 10 minutes to go.

But agree that Jose was completely anonymous with terrible decision making on the rare occasions he got the ball. Very surprised AK didn't come on.

Also he is a vastly better finisher that Jose. Another reason why he should be playing.

Is he as good a defender? Does Jose have an iffy temperament?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here