Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The alternatives Real-world examples of how people do economics differently - The Bevy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good article that. Used to drink in the Bev years ago with my Aunt and cousin. Really need to pop up there again.

I like all these alternative economics. I do wonder where the economic world will be in 10, 20, 30 plus year’s time. There are a number of crowd funding models out there now which have been hugely successful from small scale local to billion dollar international companies. And then there’s crypto-currencies. And new technology and platforms provide a way for new thinking to circumvent the stranglehold old men and old thinking has had on the world economy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Like most things the left support, nice idea but won't survive in the long term.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i see a story about people getting on with something for themselves, ploughing through obstacles from regulation and local government.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Community spirit like this is priceless. It's a currency no bank or gov can own IMHO. Hats off to the Scoombers.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Very proud to have this as my local and hat's off to [MENTION=33838]Warren[/MENTION] who works tirelessly on the committee.

As an aside anyone interested/looking for a pub for a pre match pint, the Bevy run a bus for all home games or you can catch the 49 bus, the stop is right outside and takes you to the end of Bolney Road - from there a 5/10min walk to The Amex.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Like most things the left support, nice idea but won't survive in the long term.

What a needless, incorrect and spiteful comment. Did you actually read the article? What's it got to do with "left" or "right" anyway?

i see a story about people getting on with something for themselves, ploughing through obstacles from regulation and local government.

Exactly.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was brought up just down the road from it, on Hillside and was treated to a bag of crisps from the off sales every Friday night as a kid.
When I was older I used to have a drink or two in there and can vouch for the rowdiness reputation.
The surname Woolven rings a bell with me, I am sure that he used to run the small grocers that used to be opposite the old senior school.
We used to nip over there to buy 5 x Park Drive cigarettes, which he used to put in a paper bag so they looked like sweets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Remind me about The Bevy and Bitcoin in 10 years time.

Who mentioned/specified Bitcoins? Or did you type that because it’s the one and only thing you know about crypto currency? There’s a couple of questions for you. I look forward to your response.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
The surname Woolven rings a bell with me, I am sure that he used to run the small grocers that used to be opposite the old senior school.
We used to nip over there to buy 5 x Park Drive cigarettes, which he used to put in a paper bag so they looked like sweets.

The shop was definitely called Woolvens when I was there in the 60s. He is wearing well for his age :)

Was gobsmacked to read this part:
"The neighbourhood officially ranks among the most deprived 3% in England. Its residents suffer from some of the worst health and education statistics in the country. Jones, a community worker, can tell you the consequences: families that have never worked; households deep in debt; adults who can’t read".

It was a bad estate when I was born there in the 50s and people generally did the three Schools and then walked over Moulsecoomb Way to the factories to work. Once the factories started closing people just stayed on the estate unemployed rather than venture further afield for work. Kids never saw the sea because people never left the Estate. It was a strange environment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The shop was definitely called Woolvens when I was there in the 60s. He is wearing well for his age :)

Was gobsmacked to read this part:
"The neighbourhood officially ranks among the most deprived 3% in England. Its residents suffer from some of the worst health and education statistics in the country. Jones, a community worker, can tell you the consequences: families that have never worked; households deep in debt; adults who can’t read".

It was a bad estate when I was born there in the 50s and people generally did the three Schools and then walked over Moulsecoomb Way to the factories to work. Once the factories started closing people just stayed on the estate unemployed rather than venture further afield for work. Kids never saw the sea because people never left the Estate. It was a strange environment.

It's a strange comment to me as I know several people who live in Moulsecoomb who have bought their properties. Yes, it is a bit rough around the Birdham Road part, but the rest is now neat and tidy as any suburban area.
Didn't Chris Pobjoy move from the Cricketers in Southwick to the Bevy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a strange comment to me as I know several people who live in Moulsecoomb who have bought their properties. Yes, it is a bit rough around the Birdham Road part, but the rest is now neat and tidy as any suburban area.
Didn't Chris Pobjoy move from the Cricketers in Southwick to the Bevy?

To be fair, the article states health and education, not whether the area is neat and tidy. Deprived people can still have pride.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Can I refer you to the last sentence of post #4

Remind me about The Bevy and Bitcoin in 10 years time.

sets calendar reminder for 1 Aug 2028*

[MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION]’s comment is very mean spirited. I’m willing to bet The Bevy will still be going strong in 10 years time. The locals seemed utterly determined to smash through the accepted norms of business and reopen the pub that they’ll do their upmost to ensure it has legs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair, the article states health and education, not whether the area is neat and tidy. Deprived people can still have pride.

The people I know who live there, and in Bevendean, are, civil servants (two different families) a dentist, an events organiser, and electrician and a plumber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here