Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we played a better side than that this season?

theboybilly

If there was a time when watching your opponents play like that could be described as a joy that was it. Mooy was outstanding and completely (cliche alert) ran the show. I didnt expect that and no doubt did CH. But I'm convinced there's no other side in the division able to do that to us again.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If there was a time when watching your opponents play like that could be described as a joy that was it. Mooy was outstanding and completely (cliche alert) ran the show. I didnt expect that and no doubt did CH. But I'm convinced there's no other side in the division able to do that to us again.

Agree. I couldn't help but appreciate their well rehearsed and disciplined football, even defending our free kicks we couldn't keep onside with their high line.

Based on tonights performance, if they miss out on autos they will be tough to beat in the playoffs. Let's hope we don't have to play them again.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Step 1 - buy an entire squad of young quick players
Step 2 - train them into absolute running and stamina machines over pre-season
Step 3 - have loose balls fall your way

Might be tricky for many to have this ready for THIS season.

There was a lot of 3 tonight, not that we deserved the ball to fall to us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just home. Town were excellent, as was their support.

They were quicker to the ball, and on the ball.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They were easily the best I have seen. Can't understand why they are not higher in the table. They clearly had a brilliant day at the office.

One reason why they're not higher up the table is that when they came to the Amex they resorted to Cardiff's tactics (minus the throw-ins), that I really couldn't fathom given they were top of the league.
But I'm glad about this thread. Yes, we were toilet, and everything Knockaert did turned to turd, and ... But, boy, Huddersfield were f***ing brilliant.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There was a lot of 3 tonight, not that we deserved the ball to fall to us.

There was a lot of 3 tonight, but that was because they were better organised, and sharper to the ball. To add to [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]'s list, there must be something they're doing in training about reacting to loose balls, etc, because they won everything. This season or last, I haven't seen so many loose balls go the opposition's way and I don't think it's luck.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There was a lot of 3 tonight, but that was because they were better organised, and sharper to the ball. To add to [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]'s list, there must be something they're doing in training about reacting to loose balls, etc, because they won everything. This season or last, I haven't seen so many loose balls go the opposition's way and I don't think it's luck.

Yes I don't disagree.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
A truly excellent thread. It's good to see proper credit given to the opposition by so many of our fans, wIth no hint of rancour.

Sportsmanship is alive and well down here. (But here's hoping no need for somthing similar on Sunday...)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I did state in a previous thread that apart from Newcastle, our main threat would be from Huddersfield and was promptly denigrated.
I still believe this and the addition of players to their squad in the January window was pivotal, as they gave a good account of themselves in their first game with Hudds.
I believe that we will pick up the points we need for promotion against the teams in the lower half of the table and even against at least 3 of the top 6.
We should treat it as a wake up call, a close hard fought 1 - 0 loss is one thing, but to lose 3 - 1 again is a worry, especially as they were all over us.
The same as Lincoln were against our second stream.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well have we??

Thought Hudds were superb this evening. Didn't let us settle for a second and were in our face from the word go.

Yes there was an element of luck on each of their goals but you make your own luck in this game and quite frankly if they'd kept up the intensity in the second half they would have had 5 or 6.

Bad night at the office with a trip to another bogey club on Sunday (who were superb the other night against Villa) but then 3 very winnable games.

That's the perfect assessment of tonight's match. In my opinion of course.

Sometimes you have just got to hold your hands up and say '' They were good '' In fact they were brilliant. If we had played like that then I would be raving about us. They were brilliant but down side, we should have bought Nakki Wells. He would have cost a lot of money but. He is ****ing damned good when he plays like that.

We can look all we like for our own faults but they get every break of the ball tonight but they got every beak of the ball by anticipating the break of the ball. We got a footballing lesson but overall we are better side than they are and that is bourne out by our league position. We can adapt better than they can during the course of a match.

We will bounce back and that performance will bring us back down to earth.

As from my previous posts over 2 years I never criticise CH but I just think he broke his own golden rule tonight. If you cant win it ''don't lose it''. I am Jamie Murphy's biggest fan but he was poor . He didn't see danger and he didn't realise that Pocognoli wasn't coping. In fact so far Pocognoli hasn't coped at all with ayn offensive player. Those who criticise Bong, take note.

This is not the end of the world. It is a reality check. I think we looked at Newcastle dropping 2 points against QPR and we thought lets try and capitalise on that and I for one was thinking the same but in hindsight we should have gone there and killed the game off for 90 minutes. I actually thought they would defend. How wrong I was.

For me I wold go to Brentford and kill the game stone dead. We don't need to win. We have a job to do and that is to get promoted. I sort of got ahead of myself tonight and thought we were better than we were. We forgot what we do well and that was ''be efficient and get the job done'' .

We went there thinking we can beat anyone. And we can but we need to be at our best to beat teams when they play well too. Tonight we were far from our best but that was down to them cancelling us out - This won't derail us but it is a wake up call that there are teams out there that on their day, they are as good as what we are.

Last mention is for Shane Duffy. That lad ran himself into the ground and was organising everything without his Partner when Dunk wasn't there. I knew he was good but he is ****ing brilliant

Move on ......next game. That was painful but it hasn't rocked my belief of Winning the league. It just made me look at the opposition I a different light.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Agree with NooBHA. For once, I'm a little disappointed in CH's selection and tactics.

442 works for us when we're running the show, or competing strongly. It also works when the two 'fluid' parts are there - Baldock linking midfield to attack, Stephens linking midfield to defence and attack. We had neither last night.

So to put out 442 regardless, with two 'centre forwards' in Hemed and Murray, and a midfield partnership of Kayal and Norwood that had never played together, was a tad complacent.

Maybe, for once, we should have plumped for Murray as a lone striker, and put Sidwell into a 3 across the middle formation, and looked to contain Huddersfield and even - gasp - looked to secure a draw first and foremost.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Huddesfield played with a high level of intensity and as a team. They looked fitter and had worked out how to play us.

It's probably the best performance against us, but I'm not sure whetger they are the best team weve played. We were below par and they got their tactics spot on. They exposed our defenders and put them under huge pressure. The Dunk red was an inevitable risk. We are lucky Bruno didn't get sent off in the first few minutes. However the real problems were in midfield. Kayal and Norwood were poor together. In addition Knockaert had one of his quietest games and Murphy struggled with balancing defence and attack.

I fear that some ageing members of our team are starting to struggle (Bruno in particular). Our disciplinary record is going to hurt us (eg. Dunk will have a three match ban at some point.) Personally I would have liked to see another midfielder come in in January and more experienced cover for Bruno.

We're still in pole position but the teams behind us have very good form and I'm not sure that 90 points will be enough this season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just hope they can keep the momentum up for Leeds. Dunk's sending off allowed them to slow things down and knock it about.
So hopefully they'll have plenty left.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
That's the perfect assessment of tonight's match. In my opinion of course.

Sometimes you have just got to hold your hands up and say '' They were good '' In fact they were brilliant. If we had played like that then I would be raving about us. They were brilliant but down side, we should have bought Nakki Wells. He would have cost a lot of money but. He is ****ing damned good when he plays like that.

We can look all we like for our own faults but they get every break of the ball tonight but they got every beak of the ball by anticipating the break of the ball. We got a footballing lesson but overall we are better side than they are and that is bourne out by our league position. We can adapt better than they can during the course of a match.

We will bounce back and that performance will bring us back down to earth.

As from my previous posts over 2 years I never criticise CH but I just think he broke his own golden rule tonight. If you cant win it ''don't lose it''. I am Jamie Murphy's biggest fan but he was poor . He didn't see danger and he didn't realise that Pocognoli wasn't coping. In fact so far Pocognoli hasn't coped at all with ayn offensive player. Those who criticise Bong, take note.

This is not the end of the world. It is a reality check. I think we looked at Newcastle dropping 2 points against QPR and we thought lets try and capitalise on that and I for one was thinking the same but in hindsight we should have gone there and killed the game off for 90 minutes. I actually thought they would defend. How wrong I was.

For me I wold go to Brentford and kill the game stone dead. We don't need to win. We have a job to do and that is to get promoted. I sort of got ahead of myself tonight and thought we were better than we were. We forgot what we do well and that was ''be efficient and get the job done'' .

We went there thinking we can beat anyone. And we can but we need to be at our best to beat teams when they play well too. Tonight we were far from our best but that was down to them cancelling us out - This won't derail us but it is a wake up call that there are teams out there that on their day, they are as good as what we are.

Last mention is for Shane Duffy. That lad ran himself into the ground and was organising everything without his Partner when Dunk wasn't there. I knew he was good but he is ****ing brilliant

Move on ......next game. That was painful but it hasn't rocked my belief of Winning the league. It just made me look at the opposition I a different light.

Agree 100%.

Our left side of defence was AWOL - just didn't turn up. Add in Bruno being on a yellow after 20 secs and we are suddenly very vulnerable. All well and good having a left back who can put a decent cross into the box, but if we are defending for 90 mins the other part of the game suddenly looks weak!

Dunk should be an England player, but he will never be one until he gets control when he has had a yellow card.

We were very poor with the very limited possession that we had, always gifted it back to them. They got lucky with the goals, but lets face it they thrashed us, they were good and we were dire.

Have to hope that it brings players back to the basics without taking too much confidence away from them and we can get something from a hard game at Brentford.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
As a neutral, I was surprised how well Huddersfield played to beat you easily but they rarely hit those heights and rely a lot on their loan players.

Without Mooy, they would be nowhere near the play-offs...I am surprised no Premier teams have tried to sign Mooy if City are not going to give him a chance.

I expect Leeds to get a result at Huddersfield - their physicality might well intimidate the Terriers.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Remnded me very much of our capitulation against Cardiff away last season. Hopefully what happened after that match will happen again and we won't lose again.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Our recent formula of hanging in there for 75 minutes then exploiting the opponents running out of steam came spectacularly unstuck against a fitter and better team last night. Without DS we had no control or composure in midfield and the focus on exploiting Bruno's lack of pace (remember Charlton first half and lookman) had us on edge from the start.
It was hudds night but as we have seen this season they won't play like that every week. The match against Leeds will be fascinating. About time we put in a 90 minute performance again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here