Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We've signed someone - Aaron Hughes

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I like his updated wikipedia...

"Following his release from QPR Hughes made a great decision and signed a one year contract with 2014-15 Championship winners Brighton and Hove Albion, really smart move Aaron"

It just so happens the user who did it shares your NSC username, funny that :thumbsup:

Carteater.png

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Very happy with that, an Upson replacement who is versatile if needed.

Personally I'd like to see Dunk make the step up to the starting 11 this season. It will hopefully improve his game playing alongside an experienced pro such as Hughes. With Greer back up and Rohan if called upon I'm happy the those 4.

Now for ward to complete the defence.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Can't see how a direct replacement for Upson who played for England and was our player if the season .

Surely not a first choice starter and more to come cb ?

I'm happy if squad player , few concerns if genuinely seen as Upson replacement

Hughes couldn't play for England because he has 90 caps for Northern Ireland. Although given his years in the prem, if he was English I dare say he would have got a cap or two(like Upson) given some of the other players who have caps for England over the years.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Massive 'meh' from me.

I was a big admirer of his football back in the Newcastle full back days and do appreciate the experience he can bring to the squad, but really hope Dunk isn't pushed out of the starting lineup for him. That would be criminal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was he? "Heavily criticised?" Really? I remember it being overwhelmingly positive on here when we got him.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ot-Matthew-Upson-to-Albion-quot-thread-merged It started as a rumour, and the first few responses were:

post 6 - Slow, very one-footed and indecisive. But I said the same about about Wayne Bridge and he's been quite impressive at this level.
post 7 - this (in response to post 6)
post 9 - We all talk about pace. And then someone suggests Matt Upson! :lolol:
post 11 - I think West Ham got shot at the right time, however acrimoniously he left. He's not half the player he used to be... which was never that great to be honest. Stay well clear.
post 12 - Upson = guaranteed major mistakes in games
post 13 - Boom. Perfect summary. (in response to post 6)
post 16 - No thank you
post 32 - Then prepare for a binfest when he pulls up with a hamstring problem after the first 20 mins of his début. It's OK strolling around at the back in the prem but we're at the business end of the up and at 'em championship.
post 37 - I know he has been a capped by england but then so was micheal ricketts. Upson has always been over rated. Would rather us go for an up and coming central defender from league 1 than waste wages on him. Has never been that good and prone to mistakes. No thankyou
post 41 - He hits the ground a far bit though, mainly clutching his hamstring.
post 44 - Hope it doesn't happen, was good 10 years ago
post 76 - I'm sorry but Matthew upson is not what we need! Yes he's a centre back and we need one but he's old! We are become a team of old players that won't last.

Seven of the first 15 replies were negative. The negatives became less frequent as the thread went on, but as you can see initially the early word that he would be signing wasn't that well received.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't see how a direct replacement for Upson who played for England and was our player if the season .

Surely not a first choice starter and more to come cb ?

I'm happy if squad player , few concerns if genuinely seen as Upson replacement

I'd say for certain he's the Upson replacement. Premier League and international experience? Tick. Available free immediately? Tick. Able to mentor Maksi and Dunk? Tick again. I think with this morning's announcement that Maksimenko is stepping up we have our CBs. Now for a keeper, left back and backup striker please.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not seen much of him but looks like a good replacement for Upson. I also imagine Sami has at least some idea of what to look for in a defender (probably more than most of us posting on here) so I'll trust his judgement

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Decent signing. Obviously it's not spectacular but I'm sure he will do a job for us. Will be good to have an experienced pro in the dressing room to help bring the best out of our youngsters.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Happy enough with the Hughes signing. Tons of top flight and international experience. Was involved in the Fulham team that came within a whisker of winning the Europa League a few years back.

Sami has obviously played against Aaron on quite a few occasions, so I trust his judgement on this one. I'm sure he knows a decent defender when he sees one.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
As has been said above, not expecting any more CB's to come in now- will most likely be Maxi pushed up to the first team along with Greer, Dunk and Hughes.

Glen Rea may be in with a shout too?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Decent acquisition.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ot-Matthew-Upson-to-Albion-quot-thread-merged It started as a rumour, and the first few responses were:

post 6 - Slow, very one-footed and indecisive. But I said the same about about Wayne Bridge and he's been quite impressive at this level.
post 7 - this (in response to post 6)
post 9 - We all talk about pace. And then someone suggests Matt Upson! :lolol:
post 11 - I think West Ham got shot at the right time, however acrimoniously he left. He's not half the player he used to be... which was never that great to be honest. Stay well clear.
post 12 - Upson = guaranteed major mistakes in games
post 13 - Boom. Perfect summary. (in response to post 6)
post 16 - No thank you
post 32 - Then prepare for a binfest when he pulls up with a hamstring problem after the first 20 mins of his début. It's OK strolling around at the back in the prem but we're at the business end of the up and at 'em championship.
post 37 - I know he has been a capped by england but then so was micheal ricketts. Upson has always been over rated. Would rather us go for an up and coming central defender from league 1 than waste wages on him. Has never been that good and prone to mistakes. No thankyou
post 41 - He hits the ground a far bit though, mainly clutching his hamstring.
post 44 - Hope it doesn't happen, was good 10 years ago
post 76 - I'm sorry but Matthew upson is not what we need! Yes he's a centre back and we need one but he's old! We are become a team of old players that won't last.

Seven of the first 15 replies were negative. The negatives became less frequent as the thread went on, but as you can see initially the early word that he would be signing wasn't that well received.

12 miseries out of a thread with 256 posts isn't 'heavily criticised'

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
12 miseries out of a thread with 256 posts isn't 'heavily criticised'

You make it sound like there were 12 negative and 244 positives. I stopped at 12, there are more of them. There were more of them I didn't quote because they were people reiterating their own position already mentioned. There are double posts. The thread is merged so there are a couple of 'upson to sign/upson has signed?' posts that are repeated, there are off-topic in-fighting posts. There are several 'a good loan signing, but lets get someone better in the summer' posts and 'it's only a loan until the summer' as if trying to put a positive spin on it. There are some I have trouble determining if they are positive or negative. Even the positive ones aren't effusive to the point that I would call 'overwhelmingly positive'.

I suppose the 'heaviness' of the criticism is somewhat subjective. But there was a clear negative reaction to news of his signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here