Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt sold £3.25million. (with Sunderland kit picture)

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I don't think I've seen anyone say they will boo Bridcutt. I certainly wouldn't. He's been a good player for us in three decent seasons, but he has also ensured there will be no long-term affection for him at the Albion by submitting a transfer request and playing several recent matches so clearly without 100% commitment. That's fine, he leaves with no strong feelings either way.

Gus is fair game. While only a fool would deny he did a very good job for a time, there are also several very serious issues blotting his copybook. Like it or not, he will get dog's abuse when he comes to The Amex.

No he's not. Yes he made mistakes at the end but how does that change what he achieved managing the team? Whatever Liam does now will also not change what he has put into the club. GROW UP.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Nothing to see here but a good bit of business for the club

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I used to be a Gus fan, but I'm first and foremost a BHAFC supporter and I think we should be more willing to abuse, harass and criticise those who disrespect our club. However well he performed prior to May 13th (and it wasn't perfect, bearing in mind our top two squad only finished fourth thanks to a good late run), Gus' actions from 7.45pm on that day were unforgivable and cost us a whole lot of pride and £100m or more. He will be reminded of this by the majority of the crowd when he returns.

I can't be the only one who is really enjoying now having a manager who, regardless of whether we win or lose on the pitch, is actually a really decent, honourable and likeable man.

There's little evidence to support your claim of a top two squad though, certainly not in terms of Premier League experience, transfer fees paid, or the wage level.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I used to be a Gus fan, but I'm first and foremost a BHAFC supporter and I think we should be more willing to abuse, harass and criticise those who disrespect our club. However well he performed prior to May 13th (and it wasn't perfect, bearing in mind our top two squad only finished fourth thanks to a good late run), Gus' actions from 7.45pm on that day were unforgivable and cost us a whole lot of pride and £100m or more. He will be reminded of this by the majority of the crowd when he returns.

I can't be the only one who is really enjoying now having a manager who, regardless of whether we win or lose on the pitch, is actually a really decent, honourable and likeable man.

debatable

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
The evidence is that our team at the end of last season was clearly better than the Hull one that went up. We only didn't go up because of a heap of home draws in the first half of the season against mediocre teams as a direct result of Poyet's 'playing with the handbrake on' style, and because we threw away so many points in the last minute of matches (Wolves, Bolton, Forest, Birmingham), again because of our overly negative tactics. I don't attribute this failure to our players but to the cautious egomaniac directing them.

The fact we are in a similar position this year despite having extreme upheaval in the summer and having to play without several of our best players for many matches is clear evidence that the right manager will lead to more points.

Have to say, great last paragraph, completely agree

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The evidence is that our team at the end of last season was clearly better than the Hull one that went up. We only didn't go up because of a heap of home draws in the first half of the season against mediocre teams as a direct result of Poyet's 'playing with the handbrake on' style, and because we threw away so many points in the last minute of matches (Wolves, Bolton, Forest, Birmingham), again because of our overly negative tactics. I don't attribute this failure to our players but to the cautious egomaniac directing them.

The fact we are in a similar position this year despite having extreme upheaval in the summer and having to play without several of our best players for many matches is clear evidence that the right manager will lead to more points.

But the team at the start of the season was not better than Hull.

As for throwing away late points, that's down to players, Ankergren at Forest, PIG at Birmingham and Wolves. If you look at the stats, we had the second best goal difference, fewest defeats, with a moderate squad.

Blackburn spent £11 million on two strikers, Wolves had an excellent squad containing the likes of Doyle, O'Hara etc, Cardiff, Leicester and Forest spent a fortune compared to us on their player budget.

We had Ulloa for half a season, CMS for half a season, and Barnes when he wasn't suspended.

Our midfield was Bridders, Orlandi, Lopez and Hammond in midfield, no PL experience between them.

The defence was our strength, and we played to it, but still scored the fifth highest number of goals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We didn't have Upson or Ulloa for the first half of the season. They both made a big difference from January onwards.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I cannot wait for us to play Sunderland. I don't think my body is even capable of producing as much BOOING as I'm going to need for the monkey-faced, play-off bottling, underachieving, overspending, unjustifiably arrogant, hot-headed tosspot poncing about as their manager.

Come on now, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

As for throwing away late points, that's down to players, Ankergren at Forest, PIG at Birmingham and Wolves. If you look at the stats, we had the second best goal difference, fewest defeats, with a moderate squad.

Blackburn spent £11 million on two strikers, Wolves had an excellent squad containing the likes of Doyle, O'Hara etc, Cardiff, Leicester and Forest spent a fortune compared to us on their player budget.

We had Ulloa for half a season, CMS for half a season, and Barnes when he wasn't suspended.

Our midfield was Bridders, Orlandi, Lopez and Hammond in midfield, no PL experience between them.

The defence was our strength, and we played to it, but still scored the fifth highest number of goals.

Have just had a look at this page of this thread, and El Presidente is so named because he produces premier arguments.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Whatever anyone thinks about Bridcutt scarpering, we just need to kick on and not look back.

As for Sunderland, they can't seem to lose since Gus arrived. I doubt they'll drop, and hope their place is taken by the scum.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
This thread seems popular, well done the op

happyseagull

Dec 15, 2008
Loughborough
Good luck to Gus at Sunderland and if Liam and Buckley want to join him then fair enough...all three of them have helped to move our club forward so best wishes to them all so no booing from me, Bridcutt has worn the shirt proudly and deserves a chance in the Prem (Sunderland dodgy though) He should also have swerved Scotland as he could do a job for England! Buckley has so much talent but his hamstrings are shot to bits, 6 million for the pair would be a fair deal...the real worry is that any of this money won't be reinvested in the squad as FFP Barber is a prize ****!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
See my earlier post. If we sell him and he hasn't requested it, we have in essence broken his contract. He is therefore, technically, entitled to have his contract paid up. It is no difference to his being sacked. He signed a contract that we are bound to honour if requested. It is no different to contractors in other fields. If they sign a contract and the employers terminate earlier, for whatever reason, they can claim what they are owed. Hence why free transfers are not free - you have to pay them up if you want them to leave and they do not want to leave.

Football differs in that the employers receive compensation from the new employer in most cases. If Sunderland made a bid an we accept without the player making a request to leave, he is technically entitled to be paid his Brighton contract in full. By requesting a transfer, he has waived this right by asking to break the contract himself.

In reality, if the player wants to leave but doesn't request a transfer then there is probably a deal hammered out that does not involve full payment. But my understanding is that by his requesting to leave, he is due nothing more from us, should we accept his request which we are not obliged to do. But there is little point in keeping a disgruntled employee where performance is so important.
What absolute nonsense. :nono::ffsparr::moo:

Good points here.

Don't want to be pedant but Orlandi played several games in PL for Swansea. Sorry for being a cock...

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Even by NSC's standards, there has been some incredible bull***t posted in this thread tonight.

Obviously trying to force Blooms hand, good luck with that LAIM

Not obvious at all. I would be surprised if this was the case.

Very much this. If he doesn't request a transfer and we sell him then, so I was told by the father of a pro, he is entitled to have his contract paid up as technically we are breaking his contract.
Could be, the club would have to pay up his contract out of the transfer fee if they sell him without a transfer request.

Absolute rubbish. Simply not true.

Don't know why people are so surprised. Liam will have a loyalty clause in his contract which entitles him to a percentage or bonus if he is sold, but if he hands in a transfer request then he doesn't get that bonus.
Footballers handing in a transfer request so that they can play in a higher league wouldn't give a toss about losing out on a loyalty bonus from their existing club. The signing on fee and increase in wages will dwarf any payment due.

Absolutely spot on!

About £54k if the rumours I heard are true and is one of our highest earners.

£27k a week!!! Oh dear. Someone not taken their pills today!

And those who are calling Liam judas need to have a good look at themselves!

For whats is worth, I would be very surprised if the club haven't told Liam to hand in a transfer request if he wants to go, for the reasons above. I would also be surprised if the deal isn't tied up within a short space of time now that he has handed in a request.

Personally I would be very very happy with £3m. £2.5 with adds ons, mmm maybe. Anything north of £3m I would be staggered.

I personally wouldn't sell Bridcutt to Sunderland unless they paid £2m and took Buckley as well. I would also snatch Burnley's arm of if they offered £1m for Barnes and he didn't sign the new contract on offer(Although that may be announced soon me thinks).

£6 million in the kitty which would be spent on new players. I'd take that for those three, when you consider what we have coming through and back from injury.

Good luck to Liam when he goes. No one with half a brain can begrudge him his bumper contract that he will get in the premiership. Personally I think he is taking a big risk going to Sunderland, and I'm sure he knows that, but with the contract he'll get I'm sure its worth it to him.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Good luck to Gus at Sunderland and if Liam and Buckley want to join him then fair enough...all three of them have helped to move our club forward so best wishes to them all so no booing from me, Bridcutt has worn the shirt proudly and deserves a chance in the Prem (Sunderland dodgy though) He should also have swerved Scotland as he could do a job for England! Buckley has so much talent but his hamstrings are shot to bits, 6 million for the pair would be a fair deal...the real worry is that any of this money won't be reinvested in the squad as FFP Barber is a prize ****!
Well considering the club are on target to meet FFP and don't want to sell Bridcutt, then I wouldn't worry about the money not being invested in the squad. It will be if the right player comes along. As for £6m for the pair a fair deal!!! A ****ing amazing deal. Yes please!!!!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bridcutt was Poyets project... His blank canvas so to speak, a raw talented midfielder who was moulded to play a very specific role in Gus's team.

That role doesn't exist in Oscar's team... Bridcutt was the metronome in Gus's team, slowing the pace down and controlling the game - Oscar plays with a higher tempo and attacks quicker, therefore Bridcutt is dare I say it either surplus to requirements, or has to change his game.

Clearly Liam knows this, and the games he has played show that he hasn't been able to adapt yet. Therefore his choices are to attempt to adapt here under Garcia, or go to Sunderland where he can play exactly as he did before, under the manager who moulded him.

It's a no brainer really for both BHA and Liam, the only sticking point is the fee, and I trust the club to get as much as possible.

This pretty much nails it for me. Bridcutt was absolutely essential to the working and success of Gus's team, and he was outstanding in the role(consecutive player of the season awards suggests most people acknowledged that). He is a better player now than either Andrews or Ince(regardless of how much potential Ince may have). That said it appears his role is not as important to the way Oscar wants us to play so the question is how much can he adapt and can he maintain his influence on the team?

That he seemingly wants to go to Sunderland should not be surprising. He'll be working with the manager that molded him into the player he is today, playing in the position that has earned him such a high reputation and in the premier league(at least for six months). Unlike some, I think he will be a success at Sunderland, at least all the while that Gus is in charge there.

Ideally the situation will play out like the Bennett one. We turn the request down, Bridcutt plays a blinder for the rest of the season and we end up promoted. If he wants to leave then, fine. It probably won't happen like that but as long as we get a decent fee for him, good luck to the lad.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't know why people get so worked up about things like this.

If a player wants to leave a club they are the worst in the world. Yet on the flip side of the ledger football clubs can make a man unemployed as quick as you can click your fingers.

When clubs do that fans seem to accept it without battering an eyelid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here