Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
5k - 19:52, Preston Park Parkrun
10k - 42.21, Hove Prom 10k
10m - 1:13:27, Mince Pie 10miles
Half - 1:36:07, Isle of Wight, 2015
Marathon - 3:37:57, Brighton 2015

[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] - I'm really impressed with your 10 mile times, I think I'm right in saying you beat me around the Mince Pie 10 miler as well.

Thanks [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] but no you were 3 minutes faster than me at the mince pie.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Any interested in obtaining Park Run pb's, Hove Promenade have a few pacers tomorrow:-

This coming Saturday is the Arena 80 AC Takeover Day! Many thanks to all of the team from Arena who will be cheering, timing, shouting, and also...pacing!
If you fancy going for a particular time on Saturday, please note at the moment we have pacers for 19 - 27 mins as well as 29 & 30 mins! Who knows? We may get a 28 min pacer too!!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Any interested in obtaining Park Run pb's, Hove Promenade have a few pacers tomorrow:-

This coming Saturday is the Arena 80 AC Takeover Day! Many thanks to all of the team from Arena who will be cheering, timing, shouting, and also...pacing!
If you fancy going for a particular time on Saturday, please note at the moment we have pacers for 19 - 27 mins as well as 29 & 30 mins! Who knows? We may get a 28 min pacer too!!!

Lovely conditions tomorrow dry with a slight 3/4mph south westerly definitely the kind of conditions conducive to pb's. With Arena 80 down there tomorrow a 5th place finish like last week seems unlikely but good to run with better numbers.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Took on Hove's hilltastic twosome this evening. Parked in Goldstone car park(never shop there though honest!), through the park, Goldstone Crescent, up KGVI, down Woodland Drive and back up then back down KGVI. About 8.5km in 45 mins.

Makes you realise how KG starts steeper and flattens whereas Woodland gets steeper the further you go.

Normally I do more, say 8, shorter hill reps over a similar distance. Would I be right in thinking more reps may be a better aerobic work out whereas two long slogs is a better work out for the legs?

Good going. Yeah i could be wrong but the long slogs are good for the endurance in your legs.. But shorter hill sprints are best for an aerobic workout. Because of time constraints i would normally only manage 5 reps of WD..one day ill give myself more time and get more done.. It can get a bit boring though sometimes.

Last edited:

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
We have a winner I can't see many if any competing with those times. From 400 metres all the way up to marathon distance they are incredible.

Heartened by the fact you started mid 30's as I've only seriously run for 2 years and I was 34 at the time. To run 10 miles at 5:30 pace is so far beyond me I'm not sure I'll ever reach those heights.

What training did you do? And how rapid was your improvement?

Improvement was over 4 years and then ran well into my late forties.Began running to get fit to play 5 aside football as I was dead after 5 mins.Enjoyed the running so joined Portslade hedgehoppers which lead to me running in the West Sussex Fun Run league which is a great way to learn to run competitively, £3 a race and the same runners to judge yourself against. Improvement lead to me joining Brighton and Hove where I started in the slower group and after getting to the front of the group decided to move up to the elite group.Started by doing half the session and hanging off the back to finishing the reps and being up with the pack,training was tough and it wasn't unusual for someone to be throwing up at the end.Used to fear the session but enjoyed the buzz when you completed it and was warming down.Training to follow

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

If I wake up in time, I plan on running a Parkrun tomorrow - I will head down if I am up in time!

Thanks [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] but no you were 3 minutes faster than me at the mince pie.

You hammered me in the Bright10 though, I couldn't get back after you'd gone past! And believe me, I was trying.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Amazing times- did you do a different sport when you were younger or at school? Otherwise you surely would have been close to international class if you had run when younger?

Normal things football,cricket school sports.Think it helps if your parents are interested or you have a good sports teacher.Perhaps I was lazy and lacked motivation that I only discovered when getting fit to play football?

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Interesting looking at the last three. I know you were pacing at Bright10 and can go much faster (i.e. your 1.17 in training) but I managed a 1hr 23 in that race and your half and full mara times are exactly what I'm aiming for in February and April. It gives me comfort that this is another example of a 1.45 half translating to a sub 4 full but also puts the effort I need to put in to training back in to sharp focus as your 5 and 10 k times are light years ahead of mine.
I really wouldn't getcaught up in a 1.45 half time in a marathon. You're better to go slow at the beginning and keep some back for the second half.

It's taken me four marathons to figure that out. That time (IOW) a guy was saying how his half times were around 1.45 and he did the classic thing of doubling it, thinking he would easily go under four. What happened? He blew up after about 18/19 miles and as I passed him I tried to gee him along. He stuck with me for a bit, but then faded.

I'm not saying this to have a go, but I'm just passing on a bit of marathon runner's knowledge. I'm sure sub-4 is within your grasp, just take it easy, and don't panic. And that's coming from someone who ran the first mile of my 3.57 marathon in about 7.30. The 4-hour pacer passed me along by Hove Lagoon and I thought I'd blown it. Still managed it, but I deffo did it the hard way...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
800-2.02.9 Track
1500-4.05 Track
3000-9.05 Track
5000--16mins Hove park 15.47 Track
10000 32.47 Eastleigh and Brighton twice, last aged 47
10 miles sub 55 Worthing
Half marathon 1.14 something
Marathon 2.47 London
Didn't start running till mid thirties so all times achieved as V40
Forgot 400m- 57secs
They are unbelievable times - well done.

As 37-year-old, I'm also pleased to see that you were a late starter - how for us all yet!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Took on Hove's hilltastic twosome this evening. Parked in Goldstone car park(never shop there though honest!), through the park, Goldstone Crescent, up KGVI, down Woodland Drive and back up then back down KGVI. About 8.5km in 45 mins.

Makes you realise how KG starts steeper and flattens whereas Woodland gets steeper the further you go.

Normally I do more, say 8, shorter hill reps over a similar distance. Would I be right in thinking more reps may be a better aerobic work out whereas two long slogs is a better work out for the legs?
Good going. I'm thinking of tackling WD after HP tomorrow morning. Calves are still killing from sprints yesterday so I might take it easier at parkrun.

See some of you tomorrow, probably...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Think we'll go to hove prom tomorrow. junior simgull away at scout camp so we have a bit more freedom and if conditions are good it'll be nice to go down to the sea front. Might see if I can keep close to a pacer. Go on [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] one day you've got to give a different Parkrun a go. Could tomorrow be the day?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really wouldn't getcaught up in a 1.45 half time in a marathon. You're better to go slow at the beginning and keep some back for the second half.

It's taken me four marathons to figure that out. That time (IOW) a guy was saying how his half times were around 1.45 and he did the classic thing of doubling it, thinking he would easily go under four. What happened? He blew up after about 18/19 miles and as I passed him I tried to gee him along. He stuck with me for a bit, but then faded.

I'm not saying this to have a go, but I'm just passing on a bit of marathon runner's knowledge. I'm sure sub-4 is within your grasp, just take it easy, and don't panic. And that's coming from someone who ran the first mile of my 3.57 marathon in about 7.30. The 4-hour pacer passed me along by Hove Lagoon and I thought I'd blown it. Still managed it, but I deffo did it the hard way...

100% right......us blokes are generally crap at pacing, we start off all macho, making sure we don't get overtaken etc. I've done over 40 marathons and STILL do it wrong. Should expect a bit of drift in the second half, but no more than 10 mins according to my guru - anything more than that means, in his words, 'you f*****d it up' - by going too fast early on. If you get to be doing 1.45 halves, on the day aim for more like 1.50-55. No need to be worried at all anyway, going great guns so far matey.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Think we'll go to hove prom tomorrow. junior simgull away at scout camp so we have a bit more freedom and if conditions are good it'll be nice to go down to the sea front. Might see if I can keep close to a pacer. Go on [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] one day you've got to give a different Parkrun a go. Could tomorrow be the day?
Nope. Just agreed to pace one of my best mates. She's a crossfit, weightlifting PT but isn't confident with her running anymore. Not sure how we'll get on but tomorrow isn't about any times. Will deffo give WD a crack afterwards.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
100% right......us blokes are generally crap at pacing, we start off all macho, making sure we don't get overtaken etc. I've done over 40 marathons and STILL do it wrong. Should expect a bit of drift in the second half, but no more than 10 mins according to my guru - anything more than that means, in his words, 'you f*****d it up' - by going too fast early on. If you get to be doing 1.45 halves, on the day aim for more like 1.50-55. No need to be worried at all anyway, going great guns so far matey.
What he said [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. I've watched with interest as your tomes have come down, and you should be fine. You out early Sunday? I may see you - undecided on the route but need a long run to keep on track with the marathon 'plan'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

What he said [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. I've watched with interest as your tomes have come down, and you should be fine. You out early Sunday? I may see you - undecided on the route but need a long run to keep on track with the marathon 'plan'.

My aim for the marathon is to run it at a steady and manageable pace. Two 1.55s will do the job just fine. The correlation is more in the paces that my coach is giving me and that you get if you put a baseline in to the MacMillan calculator, Running a 1.45 HM in a half gives you the ability to run sub 4 in the full but the advice from everyone is to tackle the marathon as a separate race with its own pace. If you want to see what I mean go to MacMillan and put 1.45 in as your best half time and 3.59 as your desired full and the per mile pace times increase for each pace zone.

I will be out very early tomorrow, probably 6-8 a.m. if our football is still on (which it is as of now). I have a 13 mile progression run to do so no fixed route planned but will finish with the wind behind me. If a Westerly will head out in to Shoreham and Lancing and home eastwards, if easterly or side winds will be off to Carrots and then to the Marina and back.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely conditions at Hove Prom this morning add this to the pacers from Arena 80 and it was pb heaven today.

I pushed myself pretty hard today and managed to overtake five runners in the final 400 metres to secure 6th place in 18:48 a pb by 8 seconds.

Good running from [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and mrs simgull who both produced pb's too.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1024263053

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lovely conditions at Hove Prom this morning add this to the pacers from Arena 80 and it was pb heaven today.

I pushed myself pretty hard today and managed to overtake five runners in the final 400 metres to secure 6th place in 18:48 a pb by 8 seconds.

Good running from [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and mrs simgull who both produced pb's too.

Superb effort

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good running boys. Glad NSC AC mixed it with Arena 80 AC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here