Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pay what you want - Crawley

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Their game against Hartlepool is pay what you can afford.
Minimum £1
Good idea to get gates up for the smaller clubs don't you think?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good for them. I've never viewed Crawley as any sort or rival, much less a threat.

If they want to try something new to try and generate more interest amongst the people of their town, then why not?

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Eastleigh doing a game for free on Tuesday 24th Jan - They're near the top of the conference at moment so wonder what sort of crowd they would get

Cost me nothing last time at Crawley! The £21 ticket price was refunded by Barnsley after Crawley stuffed them:moo:

Attachments

• 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 389

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Would love to see how many people pay more than £1.

Someone was on BBC Radio Sussex this morning promoting the game and said most people are paying £5 or £10 and one chap paid £50 for his ticket.

I think fair play to them their attendances have dropped since relegation from 3+ thousand and now it is 2+ thousand, so they have to be proactive.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Someone was on BBC Radio Sussex this morning promoting the game and said most people are paying £5 or £10 and one chap paid £50 for his ticket.

I think fair play to them their attendances have dropped since relegation from 3+ thousand and now it is 2+ thousand, so they have to be proactive.

Someone paying £50 to watch Crawley isn't a typical fan, or really for that matter what I would have thought they were trying to achieve.

I imagine the idea was to bring new blood to the ground - not people flashing the cash, however much the club will appreciate that man's gesture...

I still believe the majority of people who do not currently attend Crawley matches would go for the lower end of the admission scale.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Someone paying £50 to watch Crawley isn't a typical fan, or really for that matter what I would have thought they were trying to achieve.

I imagine the idea was to bring new blood to the ground - not people flashing the cash, however much the club will appreciate that man's gesture...

I still believe the majority of people who do not currently attend Crawley matches would go for the lower end of the admission scale.

The man who paid £50 was a regular Crawley fan and wanted to offset the £1 people and a very nice gesture so in that respects he is a typical fan caring for his club and not flashing the cash so to speak I would argue.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Whilst I wish them well and think its a good idea I do feel sorry for Crawley - huge catchment area but never seem to be able to attract a crowd despite numerous different ideas over the years ...

Maybe they could merge with our friends further up the A23 when they get relegated this season and once again go into receivership. They could build a new super stadium just over the Sussex border in Horley and be called Crawley Palace.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The 'Kids for a quid' promotions (calm down El Pres) were very popular at Birmingham City,particularly when run in combo with the Evening Mail.Perhaps Crawley could consider a joint promotion with the Croydon Rag to attract people to a better club!:lolol:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The man who paid £50 was a regular Crawley fan and wanted to offset the £1 people and a very nice gesture so in that respects he is a typical fan caring for his club and not flashing the cash so to speak I would argue.

But that's my point - Crawley's capacity is 6,000, so would they want one fan paying £6000 to offset nobody else showing up?

While the gentleman's sentiment may be great and a nice gesture surely this wasn't the idea of the exercise, was it?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe they could merge with our friends further up the A23 when they get relegated this season and once again go into receivership. They could build a new super stadium just over the Sussex border in Horley and be called Crawley Palace.
10,000 capacity should be fine for that.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Whilst I wish them well and think its a good idea I do feel sorry for Crawley - huge catchment area but never seem to be able to attract a crowd despite numerous different ideas over the years ...

It is very difficult for clubs that have an input of cash and suddenly find themselves in the football league and climbing the divisions rapidly as they don't have enough time to generate a large enough fan base to support football league status - I know some smart Alec will say but Crawley have been around for 120 years, but how many of those years at this level?

I can think in my neck of the woods Maidstone United suffered a similar problem, where they effectively got promoted above their natural level and didn't have the fan base, or for that matter ground, to support them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here