Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall in need of our support

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The community projects are important around there though. It is already highly populated but short on infrastructure of schools and shops. You need to travel on to the Old Kent Road to find the nearest supermarket, so building more houses although they are essential in London, it is a waste of time doing so unless the infrastructure for increasing housing is in place then it will lead to a deprived populous.

The club with these projects provide places for the young population of that area to go to and in turn the club will no doubt get their fans of the future thus helping to safeguard the clubs existence in the future.

The Council have no plans to build more schools in that area or increase space for shops so their plans are not thought through. They are just looking for a quick buck with the sale of the land to property developers, who will eventually end up selling the houses expensively and not provide any social housing. It's proximity to London Bridge means it is only going to attract Wealthy people thus not helping the community with what it needs, ie social housing and social infrastructure for families.

Sorry didn't see this post before mine...I see the club also intend to build housing do we know if there plans include addressing the concerns you have voiced? Are they also looking to make money out of the project.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
In fairness, I'd imagine plenty of people think you're a ****
Probably, I imagine a lot of them are like you , they get a little thrill from doing things online that they're too timid to do in person.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I do refer to it as 'The Elephant' Alf, but the tofu munching sandal wearers from LEAFY, VIRTUALLY MONOCULTURAL Sussex wouldn't know what I was talking about if I said that. They probably would think I'm from Whipsnade Zoo.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.
Come on EP , you really need to take more care, do i really have to correct you again ? :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I probably walk around with my eyes closed (or probably drunk during that particular time in my life thanks to the Wetherspoon at Surrey Quays) but didn't think it was that bad in the area for infrastructure at least. There's a huge Tesco and shopping centre at Canada Water/Surrey Quays and a decent Sainsbury in New Cross along with plenty of other service shops. Transport was good too. I lived quite close to the Millwall ground for a year in 2012 and between the two areas thought it was quite well served with shops. I don't know about schools and youth stuff though.

Its mostly housing around there already and all built in the last 20 years. No local shops except a few next to South Bermondsey station. There are supermarkets on Old Kent Road but that isn't as close as you would need. The houses are 2 and 3 bedrooms so designed for families with children so what it needs is local amenities for young and teenage children which Millwall provide to a small extent. The new housing would remove that. Even a lot of the pubs round there were turned into flats in recent years.

Yes we need the houses in London for sure but social housing more that anything else is what is required

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Its mostly housing around there already and all built in the last 20 years. No local shops except a few next to South Bermondsey station. There are supermarkets on Old Kent Road but that isn't as close as you would need. The houses are 2 and 3 bedrooms so designed for families with children so what it needs is local amenities for young and teenage children which Millwall provide to a small extent. The new housing would remove that. Even a lot of the pubs round there were turned into flats in recent years.

I couldn't find a pub (that wasn't boarded up) last time I went there

signed

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
signed

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Done.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Yes we need the houses in London for sure but social housing more that anything else is what is required

Do you know what type of housing Millwall are planning?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Do you know what type of housing Millwall are planning?

Initially they were not proposing housing I don't think but Southwark Council has to meet the Mayor of London's housing targets like every other Borough in London over the next 10 years. That's why I think the club needed to go back with counterproposals which included housing creation.

I have no idea how long the clubs latest proposal has been with the council or what it entails. It won't be enough for what the councils want I don't think because they then need to go and identify other sites to try and meet their quotas.

Southwark has massively increased housing in SE1 but housing there is not social housing either. Its all high rise living. SE15 and SE16 is a good area for social housing but they need to build schools there first and social amenities first before they expand.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Initially they were not proposing housing I don't think but Southwark Council has to meet the Mayor of London's housing targets like every other Borough in London over the next 10 years. That's why I think the club needed to go back with counterproposals which included housing creation.

I have no idea how long the clubs latest proposal has been with the council or what it entails. It won't be enough for what the councils want I don't think because they then need to go and identify other sites to try and meet their quotas.

Southwark has massively increased housing in SE1 but housing there is not social housing either. Its all high rise living. SE15 and SE16 is a good area for social housing but they need to build schools there first and social amenities first before they expand.

Ta for reply... Your posts have given the reasoning of signing the petition a much wider dimension for which I am grateful.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Our football would be a very much worse off without clubs like Millwall.
Sure they have had terrible problems with their fans for many years but its part of their DNA in what has traditionally been a very rough area.
But i love the small London clubs like Millwall, Brentford,Charlton and Orient. Surviving as they have in the shadow of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham is no mean feat and they also manage to have great community initiatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here