Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Pritchard

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
That would push up wages as smaller clubs would only get the full benefit of parachute payments if massively overspending on wages.

Just to play devils advocate, if there were no parachute payments at all, would it not mean that promoted clubs would have little chance in signing decent prem players, as could only offer 1 year contracts/strict relegation clauses, and so would be unable to complete, meaning the prem would become a closed shop, with 3 promoted teams coming straight back down?

I agree the current system is unfair and will get worse, but there probably needs to be something in place

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The issue of parachute payments is a classic example of how having so many governing bodies in this country just doesn't work. The premier league is just looking after its own interests as without parachute payments teams would justifiably spend within their means to try and stay up. That in turn would lead to less investment in players which in turn would make the league less attractive to broadcasters. Meanwhile the football league is the ******* son who has to take whatever scraps it can in the pursuit of joining the top table, all the while the FA have zero power to do anything.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The issue of parachute payments is a classic example of how having so many governing bodies in this country just doesn't work. The premier league is just looking after its own interests as without parachute payments teams would justifiably spend within their means to try and stay up. That in turn would lead to less investment in players which in turn would make the league less attractive to broadcasters. Meanwhile the football league is the ******* son who has to take whatever scraps it can in the pursuit of joining the top table, all the while the FA have zero power to do anything.

With Sky constantly stirring the pot with their obsession over how much money has been spent and the hysterical scenes on 'Transfer Deadline Day', not to mention their complete disregard for the interests of the fans.

Our wonderful game is going to shit, at an ever-increasing pace.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just to play devils advocate, if there were no parachute payments at all, would it not mean that promoted clubs would have little chance in signing decent prem players, as could only offer 1 year contracts/strict relegation clauses, and so would be unable to complete, meaning the prem would become a closed shop, with 3 promoted teams coming straight back down?

I agree the current system is unfair and will get worse, but there probably needs to be something in place
How about...

a) Either scraping FFP, so at least normal Championship clubs can compete if their owners can afford it
or
b) Not allowing all of the parachute payments to be used of new players for FFP purposes

b) would mean that new PL clubs could spend money, safe in the knowledge that they can afford new player wages even if they're relegated, but if they are relegated, they won't be able to splash the cash again as much as previously.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
He's warming the bench
He's warming the bench
Alex Prichard
He's warming the bench

Please all join me in singing this when we host Norwich on 29th October when he's no doubt sitting on the bench because even Norwich fans don't think he will be starting XI with some of the attacking midfielders they have!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
attachment.php
Here's the long awaited picture of Pritchard holding the scarf at his sighing. OOOH.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My long held view is that parachute payments should be a facility clubs can draw on to stop them going bust, but when they do draw on the funds they pay with a points deduction

eg 5 point deduction for every £1 million drawn from the parachute fund.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I hope he rots in Norwich's reserves. We have been well and truly played by Pritchard and his agent. I know this goes on all the time in football but it makes me sick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here