Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports - Dunk "Keeping Albion's Play Off Hopes Alive" What?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
We are just not fancied. I just looked at oddschecker and it's the first time I have seen us in third placed favourite to be promoted ahead of Hull and Derby. I don't check that often though so might have missed it before.

Not only that, we are only 4th favourite to win the playoffs behind Hull, Derby & Sheff Wed. I am not much of a gambler so could be interpreting it incorrectly but that's the way I see it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I want us to be plucky little Brighton in the Premier league, a bit raffish and unpredictable, but with a heart of gold.

Ah, the old projecting habit of your own personality onto your team eh? :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Burnley players felt the need to throw their shirts in the crowd and practically celebrate promotion on Saturday. .

To be fair, you could say the same about our players and the fans (me included) at the end of the MK Dons match.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Sky consider the likes of Hull, Derby, Burnley as Boro as "Premier League clubs, but in the Championship" - that is why they obsess over them in the promotion race when talking about who's going up, whilst the likes of us, who have never set foot in their guilded Premier League halls, get largely overlooked.

Suits me.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We are just not fancied. I just looked at oddschecker and it's the first time I have seen us in third placed favourite to be promoted ahead of Hull and Derby. I don't check that often though so might have missed it before.

Not only that, we are only 4th favourite to win the playoffs behind Hull, Derby & Sheff Wed. I am not much of a gambler so could be interpreting it incorrectly but that's the way I see it.

Our odds to win the playoffs would drop massively if we end up in them, the same for Boro or Burnley who are quoted as 12/1 and 11/1 on Sky Bet. The prices currently reflect our strong position in the automatic race and as such we are longer odds to win the playoffs as there is less chance of us being involved.

We are third favourites for promotion (which covers either automatic or winning the playoffs) where you can get us at evens behind Boro 1/8 and Burnley 1/5. We are also third favourite to win The Championship and the same again for a top 2 finish (these represent the current table much better than the market for play off winner).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To argue that Sky, of all things, think we are "under the radar" and are forgetting about poor old Albion when they've selected us for our 10th live game this season on Monday and the 11th time this season against Derby and probably the 12th time this season v Boro is pushing it a bit.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
To be fair, you could say the same about our players and the fans (me included) at the end of the MK Dons match.

You threw your shirt into the crowd?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You threw your shirt into the crowd?

Ha ! No but i did join in with some rousing choruses of "We are going up , We are going up" as did thousands of others.
V.enjoyable at the time (and I heard a few on the radio last night as well) . But obviously a tad premature.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Much too fair. You are right of course. Last night felt much more "job done, move on".

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Agree with this. It is only a "marginal gain" but the absence of media fuelled hype around our players must be an advantage in terms of them maintaining their positive focus on one game at a time.

Burnley players felt the need to throw their shirts in the crowd and practically celebrate promotion on Saturday. Last night Dyche had to face interview questions about the wheels coming off at the wrong time and how they could arrest their drop in form having taken only 3pts out of the last 9....

I love this Albion team and manager. Skilful, committed, professional and seemingly decent blokes.

Ah, Sean Dyche. I used to like him but this season he has conducted interviews like some sort of all seeing, all knowing God!

His interview after the game against us was condescending at best, he basically never acknowledged us or our strengths. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in previous weeks as he could just be trying to keep his team's confidence high even when they play poorly but again yesterday he spoke about the '2 glorious chances' his team had to win and how they deserved to. Tony Cottee said it was a poor game where Burnley created very little and that Cardiff had the best chance of the game right at the end (hit the bar).

Did Dyche comment on how they could have lost or how Cardiff were well worth their point? Of course not!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How can last nights winner be described in this way? Sounds like we're in 6th place 1 point ahead of the chasing pack, bl00dy idiots!

I took it as just a mistake and it was meant to read automatic places rather than play off spots, probably as they rush to publish them all asap after the games finish

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Nobody see's Brighton as a big club, and nobody outside of Brighton is interested in reading or hearing about us.

Not in my opinion. 1 in every 4 of our league games this season will have been shown live on Sky.
Sky select games which will pull in the most viewers.
People are watching (or are interested in) us more than most other teams in the League.

To argue that Sky, of all things, think we are "under the radar" and are forgetting about poor old Albion when they've selected us for our 10th live game this season on Monday and the 11th time this season against Derby and probably the 12th time this season v Boro is pushing it a bit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Sky consider the likes of Hull, Derby, Burnley as Boro as "Premier League clubs, but in the Championship" - that is why they obsess over them in the promotion race when talking about who's going up, whilst the likes of us, who have never set foot in their guilded Premier League halls, get largely overlooked.

Suits me.

There is that as well. Im sure there are many punters who remember when these clubs were in the prem so sky are creaming themselves that three clubs are near the top

Must annoy SKY that Swindon, Bradford, Wigan, Pompey etc are all in divisions below and Fulham and Bolton are not pulling up any trees. .

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not in my opinion. 1 in every 4 of our league games this season will have been shown live on Sky.
People are watching (or are interested in) us more than most other teams in the League.

We're playing good football and scoring goals. If we weren't we wouldn't be featured because people aren't interested in little old Brighton.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

The lack of media coverage really used to annoy me. However like you say Sky have given us a lot of coverage this year.

Now, I don't care if the media are interested in us or not. No media coverage made the unbridled joy at seeing my team survive at Hereford any better or the joy of getting promoted to the premier league (if that happens). If we keep under the radar then great. Will be interesting to see if the media focus changes if we win the next few games.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
We're playing good football and scoring goals. If we weren't we wouldn't be featured because people aren't interested in little old Brighton.

I guess it goes hand in hand with our league position? I really don't think it has anything to do with Brighton per se.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I anticipate loads of attention if we move into first place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Not so much ignored in Sky matches shown (although note we've had both games v Burnley covered, Derby coming up, and likely both games v Boro, so its clear who they like focussing on). But in general discussion in the media be it on Sky or on the radio, there seems to be a general assumption that this is really a race between Boro, Burnley and Hull, and we are the interlopers who will eventually give way and leave it to the 'big boys' to fight it out. I've heard the top of the Championship discussed time and time again - we've barely been out of the top 3 or 4 all season, yet we barely get a mention. Its ALL about Boro, Hull and Burnley, and whether Derby can get their act together.

In media terms, we are still very much the under-the-radar team that they hardly talk about for some reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here