Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Corbyn May's very own Falklands Conflict?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No Brexit is her Falklands.

The Country will always want strong leadership in difficult times. May is the only candidate offering that. Regardless of your political views that is why she will win a landslide.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

The Country will always want strong leadership in difficult times. May is the only candidate offering that. Regardless of your political views that is why she will win a landslide.

Sadly true, despite her strength likely coming from a complete lack of a soul.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

You missed out stable. Now look into my eyes.

giphy.gif

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Look back to the last election and you had pictures of Milliband eating a bacon sandwich all over the press and in various uncomfortable poses...this time despite May doing and acting the same way, the Murdoch controlled media focus on things that really aren't that important.

Bollocks.

They haven't even got started with Corbyn yet. At the moment the key battle is to get what they want in the Tory manifesto, the Labour Party is virtually irrelevant to them.

Mark my words, come week commencing 29/5, the usual suspects will be screaming 'Terrorist Sympathiser' and Sky News will be running a 24 hour continuous loop of John McDonnell praising Bobby Sands.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I don't disagree but it is especially galling when it is a mess completely of their own creation.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Now forgetting any of the opposition for a minute, this is really the thing I don't get – being objective here, trying to put aside any partisanship, how can anyone conclude that this government and May offers stable and strong leadership? I can only conclude you don't really follow politics.

This leader, who was strong enough to back staying in the EU, but now backs leaving. Was strong enough to put forward grammars but backed down when it looked like she might lose a vote on it. Strong enough to say there definitely wouldn't be another general election, then months later calls one. Strong enough not to want to debate with the other leaders.

Honestly, there is nothing strong or stable about the government. Their ONLY strength is the same can be said for the opposition.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

We want a country that works for everyone, not just the privileged few.

And more soundbites.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Absolutely.

It is completely media manipulation that Corbyn is 20 points behind in the polls.

Nothing to do with the fact that his policies make him totally unelectable and that the bulk of those who support him have no recollection of the 1970s.

But then again, anyone who thinks a cabinet containing McDonnell and Abbott is any way credible wouldn't be interested in that anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, every time a Labour supporter blames the press rather than looking closer to home we move further away from getting a Labour Government.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I do wonder whether the idea that Corbyn's opposition is ineffective is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you say something enough times, people believe it. It's become very popular to claim Corbyn is useless without without giving details - you can probably even consider it a soundbite. From the very beginning of his leadership; other opposition parties, political commentators and even certain members of his own party respond to any sort of statement or message he puts out with disdain - with this mindset, the man never stood a chance. The sorts of messages that parties like the Lib Dems put out to me just stinks of pure opportunism. Clearly he's made some gaffes, that can't be denied. But so had May, but because she's not Corbyn they don't seem to get highlighted as much. If you read his policies, a lot of them are actually very sensible (some are not). What will probably happen with the more sensible policies is the Tories will do what they did at the last election: talk down Ed Miliband's policies and then steal them once they have been elected.

I do also wonder if we'll ever hear much in the media of what should be a massive scandal: the potential for up to 30 Tory candidates to be charged with electoral fraud. The CPS are currently considering whether to charge individuals. Their decisions will be made before the GE, but we might not even hear about it until afterwards because of election rules.

C8PKXSwUwAE6VPa.jpg

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

Whenever I can't imagine where the 1 in 4 people who vote Tory come from I see comments like this, here is example of someone that quotes the 'one line' election campaign. Last time he must have been muttering 'strong economy' under his breath :ffsparr:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
How much are the Tories paying this ****?

IMG_4085.jpeg

To come up with this in the headlines?

Of course, it will only work if some Labour MP/Candidate/Councillor/Former Leader pipes up with some agreement on the ‘Hong Kong’ style hand over (2050 has been mooted). Will Labour take the bait?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How much are the Tories paying this ****?

View attachment 176218

To come up with this in the headlines?

Of course, it will only work if some Labour MP/Candidate/Councillor/Former Leader pipes up with some agreement on the ‘Hong Kong’ style hand over (2050 has been mooted). Will Labour take the bait?
Completely different history. Hong Kong was always leased.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm confused. Who is this man and what’s his connection with the Falklands?
The Falklands story has been thrust into the media by the government. I’d wager that this is part of a pre-election strategy from the Conservatives to mobilise nationalism sentiment and support from traditional Tory voters but more importantly, if only someone from the Labour would back a process to hand over the Falklands to Argentina, it would give the government and right wing media an extraordinary opportunity to create negative headlines and stories about the opposition not being trusted to keep the British Empire intact. Why else would this story be news?

The man in the picture is the chap who comes up with the Tory 3 word slogans. His name is Isaac Levido, he is the Australian political guru strategist leading on Sunk’s election 24 campaign.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This aged like milk.

:lolol:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The Falklands story has been thrust into the media by the government. I’d wager that this is part of a pre-election strategy from the Conservatives to mobilise nationalism sentiment and support from traditional Tory voters but more importantly, if only someone from the Labour would back a process to hand over the Falklands to Argentina, it would give the government and right wing media an extraordinary opportunity to create negative headlines and stories about the opposition not being trusted to keep the British Empire intact. Why else would this story be news?

The man in the picture is the chap who comes up with the Tory 3 word slogans. His name is Isaac Levido, he is the Australian political guru strategist leading on Sunk’s election 24 campaign.
You’re reading far too much into it. Cameron was presumably answering a question on this because he’ll be meeting the Argentinian President at the G20 in Brazil, who recently called for the Falklands to be handed over to Argentina. TBH I think there is no groundswell of general election emotion about the Falklands. Starmer and Labour aren’t stupid enough to demand a renegotiation over the islands' ownership. It was big news 42 years ago when I was a student, but no one cares today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here