Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley player ratings

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I have a couple of issues.

(1) do we put too much emphasis on defence away from home rather than trying to score
(2) are we putting fans off watching us away with our negative attitude.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Pitch was very good given the weather. Burnley pressed us all over the pitch all of the game - very good fitness levels. We sat back for all of the game, absorbing the pressure (well) and trying to hit them on the counter. Well, all of the game apart from 4 mins (84-87). They were generally slicker and quicker than us, and had more cohesiveness from back through midfield to the front guys than we had. Burnley fans will view the result as 2 points dropped. Ref was awful, giving fouls to them for things he wouldn't give to us. In reality, the true foul count was about equal, but I can't believe that's what the stats will say. It felt like we were penalised 3-4 times as often. They had a lovely, training ground corner routine in the first half that led to the post rescuing us. On the night - a point gained for us, I feel.

PIG 7:distribution somwhat better than of late, but still worse than sexy Pete. Had a fairly torrid time with all their pressure and made an excellent save.
Bruno 6: a combination of mild flairtastic and hopeless. Par for the course then.
Ward 6: Mostly solid, but made one horrendous, unnecessary error that probably should have resulted in a goal; Upson bailed him out at the cost of a corner.
Greer 7: played really well and handled Vokes, who was their main target man well. MOTM, just.
Upson 7: Solid yet again. He really is a rock.
Andrews 6: Solid, somewhat creative and had a decent shot that swerved away.
Ince 6: Poor first 30 mins, but good enough last hour. Made some battling important challenges and nearly always found his man in tight situations.
JFC 6: Ok+. Had a half chance.
KLL 6: Their #2 had him in his pocket for most of the game, tbh, but had to bring him down once when Kaz eventually got the better of him. Was booed because he stayed down for a long time after what seemed to be a fairly innocuous challenge. What? Kaz staying down? Never. His last kick was a free kick from out wide that swerved in nicely, but not quite enough.
Lopez 4: poor. One pass in a counter attack was simply straight ahead into the (empty of Albion players) box, when he had options right and left. Also, passed to nobody, thinking that Bruno would be there. To be fair, Bruno should probably have been there. One nicely floated free kick.
Ulloa 6: Worked very hard, took a lot of knocks, some of which should have been fouls. Again had little support until Orlandi came on. Missed the best chance of the game, passing it on the volley straight to the keeper. However, I don't think he thought the ball was going to reach him; it passed two defenders on its way. Another yellow card for finally mouthing off to the ref for his lack of support.

Subs
Orlandi 7: made a big difference. Made the cross for Len's miss. Bustled well. But - missed a decent chance just before Len's.
March 5: didn't have much time to show us what he can do, and duly didn't show us.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
PIG 6 - Distribution wasn't great but some good saves.
Bruno 7 - Was kept busy but generally solid.
Ward 6 - Sloppier than usual but got away with it.
Greer 7 - Solid
Upson 8 - Player of the season?
Andrews 8 - Worked hard, tidy, who needs Bridcutt?
Ince 6 - Bags of energy, but several poor touches and a lot of sloppy passing.
JFC 6 - Worked hard.
KLL 5 - Would prefer more crosses, especially earlier crosses as below.
Lopez 3 - Lightweight.
Ulloa 7 - Expect him to be scored poorly so making up for that. I do not see what he's meant to do when he's feeding off less than scraps up front. Falcao would have done well to create anything from that service tonight. He's got top-level aerial ability and we put in how many decent balls for him to attack? 2? In 90 minutes that's shit even if you are away from home. Should be looking to cross earlier.

Orlandi 7 - Should be starting ahead of Lopez.
March - Not on long enough to have any impact.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What a surprise,looks like Lopez was shit again,how many more chances will he get?

Jan 10, 2014
Pitch was very good given the weather. Burnley pressed us all over the pitch all of the game - very good fitness levels. We sat back for all of the game, absorbing the pressure (well) and trying to hit them on the counter. Well, all of the game apart from 4 mins (84-87). They were generally slicker and quicker than us, and had more cohesiveness from back through midfield to the front guys than we had. Burnley fans will view the result as 2 points dropped. Ref was awful, giving fouls to them for things he wouldn't give to us. In reality, the true foul count was about equal, but I can't believe that's what the stats will say. It felt like we were penalised 3-4 times as often. They had a lovely, training ground corner routine in the first half that led to the post rescuing us. On the night - a point gained for us, I feel.

PIG 7:distribution somwhat better than of late, but still worse than sexy Pete. Had a fairly torrid time with all their pressure and made an excellent save.
Bruno 6: a combination of mild flairtastic and hopeless. Par for the course then.
Ward 6: Mostly solid, but made one horrendous, unnecessary error that probably should have resulted in a goal; Upson bailed him out at the cost of a corner.
Greer 7: played really well and handled Vokes, who was their main target man well. MOTM, just.
Upson 7: Solid yet again. He really is a rock.
Andrews 6: Solid, somewhat creative and had a decent shot that swerved away.
Ince 6: Poor first 30 mins, but good enough last hour. Made some battling important challenges and nearly always found his man in tight situations.
JFC 6: Ok+. Had a half chance.
KLL 6: Their #2 had him in his pocket for most of the game, tbh, but had to bring him down once when Kaz eventually got the better of him. Was booed because he stayed down for a long time after what seemed to be a fairly innocuous challenge. What? Kaz staying down? Never. His last kick was a free kick from out wide that swerved in nicely, but not quite enough.
Lopez 4: poor. One pass in a counter attack was simply straight ahead into the (empty of Albion players) box, when he had options right and left. Also, passed to nobody, thinking that Bruno would be there. To be fair, Bruno should probably have been there. One nicely floated free kick.
Ulloa 6: Worked very hard, took a lot of knocks, some of which should have been fouls. Again had little support until Orlandi came on. Missed the best chance of the game, passing it on the volley straight to the keeper. However, I don't think he thought the ball was going to reach him; it passed two defenders on its way. Another yellow card for finally mouthing off to the ref for his lack of support.

Subs
Orlandi 7: made a big difference. Made the cross for Len's miss. Bustled well. But - missed a decent chance just before Len's.
March 5: didn't have much time to show us what he can do, and duly didn't show us.

Thank goodness for that Goldstone1976, I was beginning to think that your fellow fans were as much up their own arses as Leicester fans are.

It was a classic away team performance, stifle them and don't get beat. Players diving and feigning injury (don't worry or get upset Seagulls. a lot of players do it even ours)

The two centre halves were good.

We weren't as good as we have/can be but some of that has to go down to how Brighton played.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Thank goodness for that Goldstone1976, I was beginning to think that your fellow fans were as much up their own arses as Leicester fans are.

It was a classic away team performance, stifle them and don't get beat. Players diving and feigning injury (don't worry or get upset Seagulls. a lot of players do it even ours)

We weren't as good as we have/can be but some of that has to go down to how Brighton played.

Even yours? A lot more of your lot did it than ours! Trippier rolling around screaming that andrews caught him, looked up, saw the ref wasn't interested and got up to carry on

How did it go 'gus poyet, your teams a disgrace'??? Maybe take a look at yourselfs before you say about other teams diving

Jan 10, 2014
You mean the same Andrews who had to go off because his head was hanging off?

Did the medical team stitch it back on?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
You mean the same Andrews who had to go off because his head was hanging off?

Did the medical team stitch it back on?

Yep the same one that took a wack to the head....thats the one. No shock with your right backs name...TRIPpier, managed to do that to himself and lualua several times. For a bunch of fans like you lot, your on field antics were laughable. I wonder how duffy and shackell are? They seemed to hit the deck everytime ulloa touched them.
So either your two centre halves are powder puffs
OR they go down quicker than the average lass in burnley

Jan 10, 2014
There's no need to get personal about Burnley women Telford.

You are still on the fringes of the play offs, so there's no need for upset just yet.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
There's no need to get personal about Burnley women Telford.

You are still on the fringes of the play offs, so there's no need for upset just yet.

Not upset at all, just find it funny you coming on here will such a hypocritical claim, Mr 8th battalion East Lancs

Jan 10, 2014
I would like you to find my 'hypocritical claim' on this thread Telford.

Read every word from post 25 onwards.

Goodnight and congratulations on your point.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
cool-story-bro.jpg

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Lopez rubbish 4
Bruno very mixed 5
Ince ok but some mistakes 6
Ward a bit mixed 6
Greer ok 7
Upson MOM 9
PIG Good, one great save 8
Forster-Caskey ok one good chance 7
Andrews good 8
Kaz tried hard with a few bursts of pace 7
Ulloa little real service but a bit disappointing 5
Orlandi improved things 7
March little chance to do much 6

The referee was terrible - at times beyond belief. He gets a 1 for being there from me!

Overall a good night. The pitch was very good. The Burnley crowd seemed bored and frustrated.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Lopez rubbish 4
Bruno very mixed 5
Ward a bit mixed 6
Greer ok 7
Upson MOM 9
Andrews good 8

The referee was terrible - at times beyond belief. He gets a 1 for being there from me!

Overall a good night. The pitch was very good. The Burnley crowd seemed bored and frustrated.

TBF I've seen worse scores for a stand in keeper :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I thought Burnley looked very strong and effective, Trippier is the best full back in the division, and whilst Ings was quiet could see why he's scored so many. Other results did neither of us any favours.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing

Well said :thumbsup:

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Yes but we don't concede many so that offsets the not scoring enough argument.

currently conceded the third least goals but only 17 th on goals scored
would be surprised if the team with the 17 th most goals scored can get promotion.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Lopez rubbish 4
Bruno very mixed 5
Ward a bit mixed 6
Greer ok 7
Upson MOM 9
Andrews good 8

Just about how I saw it.Kaz 7 is a bit generous,6 from me and the 2 central defenders were outstanding.
From Burnleys viewpoint if there 2 free scoring attackers could not get the better of Upson & Greer why bring on Barnes and keep lobbing it into the area.I suppose they could not out pass our defence so hit it high and hope!
Lopez,as I said to my mate,is he on the pitch and that was after 35mins of the first half.Should be dropped and at best be a sub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here