Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Here We Go Again - Breaking News Florida Shooting At High School

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Your folly is that you think it's only the common man who thinks that way. Plenty in high places also share that sentiment. Plenty of their military do too...

So despite giving an oath to protect and defend the USA in their military capacity, they are actually thinking about treason against elected governments if their views are not respected?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Is there any particular reason not to deal with both at the same time?

Less bloodshed.

I'm not sure why civilians need to own a gun like the AR-15. A nice bolt action rifle with a nice wooden stock for some weekend hunting is surely sufficient.

Why can't a responsible gun owner own one if they want?

Anyway, I googled your claim about 'plenty' of states have not had a mass shooting, actually USA Today reported that since 2006, only 2 US states have not had a mass shooting, Hawaii and Idaho. Although, Hawaii did have a mass shooting in the Xerox factory in 1999.

I question those USA today claims. Where exactly was the Montana mass shooting for example?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Really?

Your user name is the most apt name of any poster on NSC, or any other forum probably.

looney would be able to take a post about why I have so many odd socks and turn it into some sort of Jihadist conspiracy. It's quite the art-form he's perfected.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Not sure that wanting less people killed in mass shootings is corrupt or overstepping powers tbh

Many would see a Government legislating to remove peoples guns from them well overstepping the mark and a Government that is acting in an unconstitutional way.

Many Americans live by the constitution, not what a politician says.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Many would see a Government legislating to remove peoples guns from them well overstepping the mark and a Government that is acting in an unconstitutional way.

Many Americans live by the constitution, not what a politician says.

Sounds like they live by irrational paranoia to me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its not just the guns. Sky article included: "at least one AR-15 assault rifle, a gas mask, smoke grenades and several magazines of ammunition". In the hands of a civilian, not special forces.

Quite. It might prove to be a long term effort to ban handguns in America, but they really need to be asking themselves why US citizens, especially teenage kids, are allowed to buy smoke grenades,assault rifles and unlimited ammunition. Not too many valid innocent reasons for buying those I'd have thought.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They can. But there should be greater control of who can legally own a gun, how it's stored, how many you can have and most importantly, what TYPE of guns are legal... just my opinion.

You contradicted yourself by saying they can and then reeled of a bunch of things that would greatly restrict their ability to own what they wished and in some cases turn a law abiding citizen into a criminal if you make certain guns illegal.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You contradicted yourself by saying they can and then reeled of a bunch of things that would greatly restrict their ability to own what they wished and in some cases turn a law abiding citizen into a criminal if you make certain guns illegal.

I don't think I'm contradicting myself at all. People can own guns. But they can't own whatever and however many guns they like.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quite. It might prove to be a long term effort to ban handguns in America, but they really need to be asking themselves why US citizens, especially teenage kids, are allowed to buy smoke grenades,assault rifles and unlimited ammunition. Not too many valid innocent reasons for buying those I'd have thought.

....But not buy an alcoholic drink!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is so sad that shit keeps happening and they still can't find some compromise. As soon as someone suggests some simple controls on guns and their uses the NRA halfwits etc start banging on about 'taking away our guns'. I shouldn't call them halfwits as they are smart enough to control the debate even in the face of people continually dying at the hands of their product.

To me, the gun licensing debate is binary politics at its very worse.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe if the US people are unwilling to amend the constitution around gun ownership (and apparently it's sacrilege to amend the constitution, as evidenced by the second amendment being an amendment), maybe the solution is to adhere to the spirit of it as well as the letter and just ban people from owning guns produced after 1788?

That way you can own as many muskets which take two minutes to reload as you like but can't just wander round with semi-automatic weapons capable of slaughtering a hundred people in the blink of an eye?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It is so sad that shit keeps happening and they still can't find some compromise. As soon as someone suggests some simple controls on guns and their uses the NRA halfwits etc start banging on about 'taking away our guns'. I shouldn't call them halfwits as they are smart enough to control the debate even in the face of people continually dying at the hands of their product.

To me, the gun licensing debate is binary politics at its very worse.

I'd have more respect for them if they just admitted that owning guns is more important to them than their kids not being shot dead.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There's plenty of states in the US that have never had a mass shooting.

Hawaii and Montana have two of the highest gun ownership % in the nation but have never had a mass shooting incident.

Mass shootings make up the tiniest of % of gun deaths. Suicides make up the overwhelming majority.

Can 10/50 states really be defined as 'plenty'?

Using the the narrow definition of 'four or more killed', according to the page sourced below, 40 states have experienced a mass shooting event, including Hawaii. I think using a broader definition, probably every state has.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/mass-shootings-in-america/

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No they don't military coups happen when corrupt military leaders think they can grab control of a countries assets or aren't being paid off enough by weak dictators.

Not always so.

Egyptian Army removed the Muslim Brotherhood because of what that party represented.

Other nations have also had coups and returned to democracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here