Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Neighbour boundary hedge dispute

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Those fences look knackered as well. And the wall needs repainting.

Busy, busy busy.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah that's laurel. You won't kill it by pruning it. if you want a crack at it yourself. Not worth falling out with a neighbour, life is too short.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If you have Legal Expenses insurance on your Home Insurance, why not phone for advice. They were very helpful when I had a loosely similar dispute.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I make no apologies for posting this on NSC, it is the place where i expect to get the most educated answers from.

My partner and i bought a property 5 months ago as first time buyers. The people in the next road whos garden backs onto ours have a large bush that is towering over and into our garden and blocking a large amount of light. It is also now growing onto our flat roof extention and covering the flue to our central heating system.

Having finally had enough of getting ear ache from my OH i went around to the neighbours and asked if they would sort out getting it cut back. They information me it was due to be done on their side this Saturday so tbey would send the guy round to our side as well.
The gardner man came round this morning to do the job and before starting told me it would be billed to us. I said no way was i expecting to pay for the neighbours hedges and he said he didn't want to be in the middle of a civil dispute so i told him to go and apologised for confusion.

It's gone well beyond a quick clip and the gardner said it need chainsaws and disposing of through a 'chipper', so it's not a job i can do myself.

So, NSC legal experts, who is responsible?

I can attach photos if needed.

anything that hangs over the fence line is your responsibility unfortunately old boy........but if you were to spray it with glysophosphate (round-up) the entire bush / hedge will be gone by the summer.....:whistle:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The table looks wet too. That could do with drying, oiling and putting away in the shed/ garage or it will warp.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
UPDATE:

Neighbour just came round and knocked on the door. We have reached a compromise where he will arrange for it all to be sorted at his cost. We will then take responsibility for maintaining it in the future.

I think he realises that it's encroaching onto our flat roof, guttering etc and if it does any damage then he DOES become liable. He also arranged for his dogs to go into care today while the gardener bloke was doing the job, which he has ended up not doing as he didn't want to get in the middle of a payment dispute. So the onus seems to be for him to work with us :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
UPDATE:

Neighbour just came round and knocked on the door. We have reached a compromise where he will arrange for it all to be sorted at his cost. We will then take responsibility for maintaining it in the future.

I think he realises that it's encroaching onto our flat roof, guttering etc and if it does any damage then he DOES become liable. He also arranged for his dogs to go into care today while the gardener bloke was doing the job, which he has ended up not doing as he didn't want to get in the middle of a payment dispute. So the onus seems to be for him to work with us :)

I'd say the onus is for you to work with a reasonable neighbour. Mind your lawn mower on that grass, by the way.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
What a nice neighbour you seem to have.
While he's being so reasonable I'd suggest being very polite and agreeing on a height for it to be maintained at. Then buy him a bottle of wine and consider yourself lucky.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Cut it your self then. Your neighbour has admitted it needs doing. If you cut too much off in the process....then tough. If he starts then just sever his Internal Carotid artery with the cutters. Anyway that's what Dexter would do.

Only if he can find out his neighbor has murdered someone in the past.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My partner and i bought a property 5 months ago as first time buyers. The people in the next road whos garden backs onto ours have a large bush that is towering over and into our garden and blocking a large amount of light. It is also now growing onto our extention

That isn't an extension, it's a bird table. I hate to say it, but I think you've been 'had.'

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I'll also add that i couldn't give a stuff about falling out with them as they are back neighbours not side neighbours and we are unlikely to need to interact with them in the future. Also when he came round and knocked on the door the other night i found out that he's a right posh ****.

You are being naive if you don't give a stuff,and a dispute had escalated when you wanted to sell as you have to declare to purchaser.Keep disputes to big issues only with any of your neighbours.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
UPDATE:

Sounds good to me - everyone's a winner.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Glad you're sorted.Round-up would have been the best solution,though.Don't have to dig down far to find a root,cut it,and paint round-up on the live side.Bye-bye plant/tree.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Glad you're sorted.Round-up would have been the best solution,though.Don't have to dig down far to find a root,cut it,and paint round-up on the live side.Bye-bye plant/tree.

If you kill the neighbour's trees with Glyphosate, there's a possibility of criminal damage....believe it or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here