Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Clark - The Last Panthers (Soundtrack)

Warp records artist. If you're into cold, glassy instrumentals that wouldn't sound out of place on Side B of either Low or "Heroes", this may be for you.

[yt]A6unSzIOk0Q[/yt]

Love Clark. Loved that record, showed a different side of him.

Did you hear his self-titled a couple of years back? Wall to wall bangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XisOVzJ32_g

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes. I saw them as a 4 piece as well.

Listening to the record now, I get where the Quietus are coming from but then I'm no real fan of Jamie XX's gear either. I miss that claustrophobic intensity of the first record but can also see why they wouldn't want to repeat that ad infinitum especially when it spawned so many imitators.

Just listened to the new XX album, and loved it - which is always a good sign on first listen. I'm glad they've moved on, the second album seemed a bit pointless to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember seeing the XX (as a three piece if memory serves) supporting Vampire Weekend years ago, strange gig.

Think they were a 4 piece then. They then did their first head line tour a month or so later and played a rather nervous gig at The Escape as a three piece. I have a lot of time for them and find their interviews very interesting. Looking forward to this new album.

Just for the record I thought Jamie's album was, overall, great and had a few nods to things I really like. Saw him DJ around this time and from his set he seems very knowledgable about music and rhythm and production....it was a lovely evening.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it [Jamie XX album] felt a little bit safe to me.

The album is a collage of the sounds he heard in clubs and stuff over a few specific years in his life. I think he has actually said this, or alluded to this at least. Consequently it wouldn't expect it be pushing anything new or unsafe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Recent listening:

Ghost Culture - Ghost Culture

Lots of references to Kraftwerk and (then unsurprisingly) LCD Soundsystem that aren't too far off the mark, and there's a couple of songs (Guidecca, and Glass) that really hit the spot. His vocal phrasing reminds me of Brian Eno as well. This actually came out early 2015 but I've just gotten round to it now. The 2nd half of the album exposes some slightly one-dimensional writing but this is his debut so plenty of time to grow yet hopefully.

[yt]_RYP-AHhV9w[/yt]

Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love!

This just has such a fantastic atmosphere. Plenty of Prince and Funkadelic, with a little bit of early Mars Volta/John Frusciante solo-scrappiness at times.

Clark - The Last Panthers (Soundtrack)

Warp records artist. If you're into cold, glassy instrumentals that wouldn't sound out of place on Side B of either Low or "Heroes", this may be for you.

[yt]A6unSzIOk0Q[/yt]

Putting in some time on the new Nine Inch Nails EP at the moment. Some of the songs appear unspectacular at first but there are some absolutely ingenious producing tricks in there, if you know what you're listening out for.

Good to see you back posting about music!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Resident seem to have over hyped their sale, some bits and bobs but not a lot really.

Picked up the XX album and the new ATCQ. Will report back.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I got an alert that they (Dream Wife) are playing the Green Door Store this week as it happens!

Given Resident Record's predilection for all things folky, I'm not surprised to see that the new Julie Byrne album 'Not Even Happiness' is their album of the week. This is her second album, described as 'sophomore' on the Bandcamp bio and I think others here are spot on with how irritating that phrase is. Never mind, it's still a mighty fine LP however you describe it. In the past I've likened her to Vashti Bunyan or Beth Orton but this album which has been a few years in the making sees her more Laura Marling in her delivery. There's a bit more orchestration too making it sound fuller, less lo-fi. She does front load the album, if that's the phrase, with most of her best tunes with track 5 of 9 separating them with a very handily titled 'interlude' however it is worth hanging around until the end because the very last track 'I Live Now As A Singer' is a thing of beauty. Ethereal without ever being twee and that's probably a good way of describing the album as a whole.

It's a shame I can't find a stream to Sleepwalker or Follow My Voice as they are a little more upbeat than this track (Natural Blue) which although fits perfectly in the album sounds a bit of a dirge by itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQrrMaJyVbc

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And an interesting project is the Flo Morrissey/Matthew E White - 'Gentlewoman/Ruby Man' album. It's a 10 track collaboration of re-invented covers - some more re-invented than others. The concept works well for a lot of tracks: Everyone Loves The Sunshine, Looking for You, Heaven Can Wait and a surprising but quite excellent cover of Grease. There's a few misses in there too though, most notably Suzanne although I think this is slightly unfortunate that with the recent passing of the great man that there has been a surfeit of Leonard Cohen covers doing the rounds. Even so, it's not offering much that isn't already out there. I'm a big fan of both artists previous works but as a rule I don't much care for covers albums however in this case I think it works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QuwwnNIZ3I

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Any thoughts from anyone on Tigercub's debut album? Shows quite a maturing away already from their early Nirvana/QOTSA aping sound.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Any thoughts from anyone on Tigercub's debut album? Shows quite a maturing away already from their early Nirvana/QOTSA aping sound.

My eldest is a big fan of Tigercub and esp of the new album but he reckons they should have released it at least a month before in October or waited until January as, in his opinion, it got lost and forgotten with everyone too busy with all the best of 2016 Christmas lists. It's most certainly not my cup of tea although I did like 'Memory Boy' and 'Omen'. It's a bit too hardcore for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here