Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What WAS the Name of That Pub? - Brighton Edition

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
I like this thread. What was the The Open House called before?
And can anyone tell us why the Horse and Groom on Islingword Road was known locally as The Severed Head?(It's a great story). It's now a community cafe bar called The Village full of Hanover yummy mummies (in the day at least).
Open House used to be The Springfield

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Does anyone remember the Alliance in Edward Street? A cider house, run by a retired lady of the night, where you could get legless and still have change from five shillings.
This place sounds amazing. Pretty much perfect.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
OK so round the back of AmEx (the offices not the stadium) there was a pub that has since been turned into housing, must have been in the past ten years or so, and I can't remember its name.

Would have been corner of John Street and Ashton Rise.

Can you NAME THAT PUB?

White Hart Lane. I hear it's a HOT spur spot.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
What was the pub bottom of Middle street that for some reason had a late license? We always used to go there after the Revolution shut.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone remember the prince regent on brighton station next to casey jones burgers, used to work there then licensee for the bar, my large milkshake cup was always full of snakebite and black, it was a little place with sticky red carpet , only had Guinness, tartan beer, strongbow ,fosters and bass on draught , remember always having to close when millwall were down, always had Peter stringfellow in when he came down , happy days in my youth

Forward of what is now M&S?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
who can remember the pub opposite the Prince Albert , on the corner of frederick st ?

Last edited:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Bottom of Elm Grove on the corner with Islingword Road, what was the Cornerstone is now called the Admiral. Is this a case of a pub simply returning to its original name or was it something else pre Cornerstone?

Also, while we're in that area, further up the hill is the Reservoir but I can't believe that was its original name. Anyone know?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A Brighton pub now converted into flats. Can you name this one?

NWf8ITd.jpg

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Bottom of Elm Grove on the corner with Islingword Road, what was the Cornerstone is now called the Admiral. Is this a case of a pub simply returning to its original name or was it something else pre Cornerstone?

Also, while we're in that area, further up the hill is the Reservoir but I can't believe that was its original name. Anyone know?
Admiral Napier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here