Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Shrunk and Other Stories - Oliver Black.

Written by the self-proclaimed "London's leading hypochondriac", a series of short autobiographical stories. He's a Prof of Philosophy and a Prof of Law, so smart as a whip, with a dry, acerbic wit which has me guffawing, while simultaneously cringing at his honesty. His wife, Fluffy (never was a woman so inaptly nicknamed), plays a leading role too. Very funny.

Disclosure: I know the author well, but receive no financial benefit from this recommendation, which is sincerely given.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Just started this. Promising opening chapter. Anyone else read it?

image.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just started Robert Harris's new one, Conclave.

Always been a fan of his stuff since Fatherland, years back, but already I think this is going to be up there with his very best.

The chapters I've read so far have been incredibly atmospheric. I'm glued.
Thanks for the recommendation - not too sure about the ending but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just started Imperium to see if I like all of his stuff.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Over the weekend I read Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz. It's a new and authorised James Bond novel set straight after Goldfinger in the late 50s. Apparently it's based on some notes that Fleming himself left when he was mooting the idea of a TV series. As 'non-Fleming' Bond novels go, this is definitely one of the better ones. It's fast-paced and it's believable as a Bond story too. A few criticisms though, without giving away any of the story - the whole premise for the big finale was a little weak and the link with SMERSH was probably unecessary and the spoon-feeding of the whole premise for the big finale was annoying. Other than that, recommended.

Also read The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins which is now a film and relocated from Hertfordshire to New York. One of the best thrillers I've read in a long time, it's the very definition of a page-turner and you'll probably want to read this in as few sessions as possible. Deals with a few difficult issues as well including commuting. I'm glad I read it before seeing the film.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Also read The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins which is now a film and relocated from Hertfordshire to New York. One of the best thrillers I've read in a long time, it's the very definition of a page-turner and you'll probably want to read this in as few sessions as possible. Deals with a few difficult issues as well including commuting. I'm glad I read it before seeing the film.

Hype over substance for me (sorry), especially the absurd ending, the film's reviews being even more lukewarm than the book received.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hype over substance for me (sorry), especially the absurd ending, the film's reviews being even more lukewarm than the book received.

That's a shame. I kind of guessed quite early on about the ending but nonetheless I did enjoy reading it. I read it straight after A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole which although similar in a lot of ways to Catch-22 was still a bit of a marathon read and a little heavy going at times and I find that whodunnits a great way of winding down after a long book.

I'm currently reading Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason, one of Iceland's top writers - it's another mystery thriller this time set in Reykjavik and it does have the Scand Noir feel to it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Harlen Coben - Gone for Good

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just started on The End of the World Running Club by Adrian J. Walker. 100 pages in, nice easy read so far.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The Templars the history and the myth by Michael Haag

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Just finished reading Damon Hill's autobiography this week entitled "Watching the Wheels".

Must say it is up there with the best sporting autobiographies I have read. Hill wrote it all himself, none of it was ghost written.

Some of the early chapters jump around a little bit and that probably won't be to everyone's liking, but I thought it was quite important in setting the scene and in dealing with the build-up to the biggest moment in his early life, the death of his father in an air crash.

From this you get to learn how he initially had no intention of following in his father's footsteps and becoming an F1 driver, but then deciding in his 20s that it was his destiny to follow him.

Damon comes across as a very dignified and decent person. Clearly he is indebted to his father, but you also come out of it thinking that he was quite flawed. And you can see how his father's untimely death left Damon and the rest of the family with lots of unresolved issues in later life. We learn that Damon had a battle with depression after he retired from racing.

The chapters that deal with the fallout from Ayrton Senna's death at Imola which saw Hill have to become the team's anchor are also interesting reading.

All in all, for anyone that has an interest in Formula 1, it's a compelling read once you get into it.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I am currently 550 odd pages through A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara and it is just a bit much. A bit much in terms of both the 4 main characters ridiculously successful careers and then the utter misery endured by the character the novel is centred around. 150 pages left to go and you see where it is going to end up. I have enjoyed the pantomime of it all, mind.

Next up is We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Not sure what to expect. Was someone else's suggestion at the Book Club I am a member of.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am currently 550 odd pages through A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara and it is just a bit much. A bit much in terms of both the 4 main characters ridiculously successful careers and then the utter misery endured by the character the novel is centred around. 150 pages left to go and you see where it is going to end up. I have enjoyed the pantomime of it all, mind..

Agreed. It's just grief lit. Should never have got near the Man Booker Prize longlist. It's the kind of guff that I'd expect from Oprah Winfrey's book club. The romantic plot twist in the middle is just stupid too. One of the worst books I've read in recent years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Picked up The Martian by Andy Weir at my local bookshop (BHF charity shop in London Road, £1.50). Not seen the film because Matt Damon films always strike me as a bit meh! The book is WAY more Gravity than Interstellar, but an entertaining enough read nonetheless.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm reading Judith by Christopher Morley at the moment and unsure whether it's a work of genius or just pretentious. In parts it reminds me of Umberto Eco, Morley is very well read and likes to show it. The book is in 3 parts; each part a letter from the main protagonist Judith to three men in her life. The book has a dream-like quality to it and the writing is unconventional and easy to misinterpret or even not understand some of the events happening but the main theme is pretty clear and referenced many times. To be honest, it's the kind of book that wears me out and I'll be looking forward to finishing it and getting onto something a bit easier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here