Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's iOS 8 day

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
care to tell me? :)

Plug your device into your laptop/computer with itunes open.

Should come up with something like this:
ios8.png

Click 'check for updates'.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
i have an iPhone 4 so sadly i cannot update to iOS 8

Lucky you. I miss the old design and was gutted when iOS7 came out. As much as it's 'better' and does 'more stuff', I liked the simpleness and faux-3D of it.

Mind you, I didn't see the point of our school updating our computer room from Commodore Pets to 64s. Colour? Waste of time.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
For those who don't have the space to upgrade you can use iTunes for the upgrade and not have to delete loads of stuff. So glad my new iPhone will have 64gb of space so I won't have to worry about it next time.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Changing subject slightly, I've just typed my tracking number from Apple for my 6 and it's saying it doesn't recognise it. Is anyone else getting this? I'm hoping it not been processed by UPS although why would I have a tracking number?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I don't get it??? Attempted mine on my iphone 5 thru iTunes last night and it said 14 hours remaining so went to bed, this morning it said update error so have retried and its back to 14 hours remaining!!

Edit: now downloading from the phone on wifi and it seems to be working (hopefully quicker) - I may not have the fastest broadband here as infinity not available but 14 hours seems mad? Always update thru iTunes and its normally 20 mins or something?
I hope when my 6 arrives tomorrow I wont have a hassle setting it up on iTunes if it needs to download all this?

Last edited:

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I have had to delete nearly all my apps on my iPad to get IOS 8. (It wanted over 6 gig) but I am sure it will be worth it.

Updating via iTunes should have resolved that, as disk space not needed.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Updating my daughter's phone says 24 hours left on the download time. God apple is crap.

I'm not a fanboy by any stretch, but as I was searching for info on the update last night I found this well-written and interesting article explaining in layman's terms how Apple updates work, and how, ergonomically and psychologically, we are affected by them.

http://www.imore.com/iphone-slow-explained-truth-about-ios-updates

One of the reasons I ditched PCs is that they are made of up of many different parts software-wise, whereas Apple have 100% control over 100% of their products - for my tastes, and there was a time when I could afford their laptops (!), they feel 'more complete', less flabby.

The article is a good read if you're so inclined.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I kicked it off last night around 8ish via iTunes and come 11 it had only pulled down about 800mb and was still saying 4 hours to go. As I use my phone as my alarm clock I couldn't really just leave it running. So I cancelled it and was going to just download it (rather than download and install) and install it tonight. However it remembered my choice first time out and started to download and install. Thankfully it came down in about 7 minutes this time. Haven't really had chance to play with it yet and haven't really kept up with what has changed. Will have a read today.

One thing I have noticed is you no longer get the little icon at the top of the screen to tell you that you are on wifi which is a little annoying. Anyway of getting this back?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One thing I have noticed is you no longer get the little icon at the top of the screen to tell you that you are on wifi which is a little annoying. Anyway of getting this back?

Mine came back automatically. Have you tried reconnecting to the wifi?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One of the reasons I ditched PCs is that they are made of up of many different parts software-wise, whereas Apple have 100% control over 100% of their products - for my tastes, and there was a time when I could afford their laptops (!), they feel 'more complete', less flabby.

The article is a good read if you're so inclined.

And 100% control over you.

Have now spent nearly a day to update my daughter's phone. Only done it to keep family harmony but would sooner have chucked the piece of crap in the bin.

Apple is a rip-off and crap, sorry to tell you geeks.

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam
Changing subject slightly, I've just typed my tracking number from Apple for my 6 and it's saying it doesn't recognise it. Is anyone else getting this? I'm hoping it not been processed by UPS although why would I have a tracking number?

I get the same (not recognised). Got the dispatch e-mail last night, so checked straight away and again this morning. Nothing. I always seem to have similar problems with UPS tracking....

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm already loving the new predicative word options when you email or text from the phone - it actually guesses which word you might want next which you can then just one touch.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm already loving the new predicative word options when you email or text from the phone - it actually guesses which word you might want next which you can then just one touch.

I thought apple were always the first to do things, my phones been doing this for at least a couple of years (probably not allowed on this thread)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Something Samsung has had for years and years. Oh soooooo old hat.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And 100% control over you.

Have now spent nearly a day to update my daughter's phone. Only done it to keep family harmony but would sooner have chucked the piece of crap in the bin.

Apple is a rip-off and crap, sorry to tell you geeks.

It's always worth waiting a few days before updating. There are a lot of Apple geeks out there, so trying to update within the first few hours of it being available is always going to be a bit slow. I've just updated mine, had to upload and delete a load of photos which are easily synced back, and the update took 10mins (connected to iTunes via USB cable). It had 5 setup steps which were mainly reentering passwords and confirming location services and that was it on a 4s.

I don't think I've ever updated direct to the iPhone so it may well have been a really slow annoying process for you, which is why I tend to always favour a hardwired update.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here