Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maenpaa

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Did wonder about the emergency recall clause in Walton's loan. Does it mean we will go with just 2 main keepers and save splashing some cash on a third?
Would give Maenpaa a better chance of featuring.

I'd be very happy with these two and Walton having a recall option for the third. It would be very difficult to find a keeper happy to join us when we've just signed Ryan unless they feel they would command the number 1 spot.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really pleased he has finally put pen to paper... like others, I'd be happy with Ryan, Maenpaa and Walton on recall... spend more on a striker or two...

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Wouldn't it be great if Niki Maenpaa turns out to be a real gem of a keeper - we just didn't know what we already had as he has been stuck in the shadows.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wouldn't it be great if Niki Maenpaa turns out to be a real gem of a keeper - we just didn't know what we already had as he has been stuck in the shadows.
I'll hazard a guess having trained him day in day out for 2 years the club know exactly what they have, and are clearly happy with the current set up.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'll hazard a guess having trained him day in day out for 2 years the club know exactly what they have, and are clearly happy with the current set up.

Remember a video of his howlers before he signed for us.
All keepers make mistakes as Stocko showed against Villa but from memory Nikki's were special :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Proper pro that will fight for his place and be ready to step in if Ryan doesn't cut it. Glad that he is sticking around.
That's all a little confusing.

Proper pro - I guess so judging by the contract extension.
Fight for his place - His place is bench and cups.
Ready to step in - That's his job.
Ryan doesn't cut it - Then the club will have to suck it up and buy another £5m goalie.
Glad that he is sticking around - It seems everybody is happy.

I don't understand the fascination, on this thread, to try and create something that isn't there.
The fella had a good game, great, but if he was anything other than a bench warmer, he'd either be first choice, or playing elsewhere.

He's happy, the clubs happy, we should be happy and yet let's start undermining Ryan and question whether the perennial benchwarmer should be first choice.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
The general consensus was that Stockdale wanted a longer contract. However surely he was better getting a shorter contract in the PL then moving to the Championship for a contract after that rather than going straight to the Championship

He wanted to move back to Leeds. Family very much drove the decision. On top of that a great offer from Birmingham made it easier. Leeds to Birmingham is very doable as a commute.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Probably too far to live and travel every day. If that had been the criteria would his agent have not approached Huddesfield or Wednesday so they could cash in on Westwood or even Middlesbro or Hull who were seeking a keeper.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Maenpaa and Ryan were competing for the bench and we were yet to sign our No.1.
I like them both but I'm sure the club aren't naive enough to consider either the much needed upgrade on Stockdale for the season ahead. We must have three competent keepers, the sooner we sign our No.1 the better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
AA Route planner says 2hrs 5 mins via M1 Leeds to Brum so I would suggest that he has moved to around The Peak District thus cutting the journey time in half to either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
AA Route planner says 2hrs 5 mins via M1 Leeds to Brum so I would suggest that he has moved to around The Peak District thus cutting the journey time in half to either.

The majority of the northern part of the M1 has roadworks, so 50mph, and Leeds is a bottleneck at rush hour. Add at least another hour to that.

Stockdale has thanked a friend of his for sorting out accommodation in the West Midlands.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The majority of the northern part of the M1 has roadworks, so 50mph, and Leeds is a bottleneck at rush hour. Add at least another hour to that.

Stockdale has thanked a friend of his for sorting out accommodation in the West Midlands.

His leaving must have come about after not being assured of being No 1 here as he has allegedly taken a pay cut and ruined any chance of replacing Heaton in the England squad and not gained a lot by moving home nearer to Leeds, So a generally strange move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here