Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes you are right we should definitely not be looking at players who have played over 140 games in the top flight and represented his country at all age levels. Like it or not this is the type of market we will be operating at

But there's the problem. Yes he has played over 140 top flight games, but spaced out over a number of years. He has had some problems with injuries and his weight in the past and also some dodgy hair cuts. Do we need a midfielder aged 30 to add to the already advanced number of years of some of our present incumbents?

Also, I don't this is the type of market we will be working in. I think the majority of our signings will be unknown (to us) from abroad...

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Look to Championship for quality and sell on value...Jacob Murphy (Norwich), Ben Brereton (Forest).
If abroad Oliver Burke (Red Bull Leipzig).
May not be cheap but Yong, hungry,pacey with sell on value.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
But there's the problem. Yes he has played over 140 top flight games, but spaced out over a number of years. He has had some problems with injuries and his weight in the past and also some dodgy hair cuts. Do we need a midfielder aged 30 to add to the already advanced number of years of some of our present incumbents?

Also, I don't this is the type of market we will be working in. I think the majority of our signings will be unknown (to us) from abroad...

I think we need some players in the match day squad who have premier league experience as that is an area we are seriously lacking. I do not think Huddlestone would be a long term solution but could do a job for a season even if just as backup whilst we try and establish ourselves in the division (think this seasons Steve Sidwell). Marco Silva saw something in him and the local Hull rag also reporting Newcastle are interested so clearly still has something to offer at this level.

I agree that some of our business will be overseas unknown players but not this alone as I feel Hughton will want to add some much needed premier league experience as well. Not directed at you but on the overseas point it does seem odd to me that it seems perfectly acceptable to sign unknown overseas players but as soon as someone experienced from a relegated premier league club is mentioned they are suddenly not good enough for us.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think we need some players in the match day squad who have premier league experience as that is an area we are seriously lacking. I do not think Huddlestone would be a long term solution but could do a job for a season even if just as backup whilst we try and establish ourselves in the division (think this seasons Steve Sidwell). Marco Silva saw something in him and the local Hull rag also reporting Newcastle are interested so clearly still has something to offer at this level.

I agree that some of our business will be overseas unknown players but not this alone as I feel Hughton will want to add some much needed premier league experience as well. Not directed at you but on the overseas point it does seem odd to me that it seems perfectly acceptable to sign unknown overseas players but as soon as someone experienced from a relegated premier league club is mentioned they are suddenly not good enough for us.

I never said he wasn't good enough for us, I just get a bit fed up of "could do a job" being linked to every player that suddenly become available.
Also I think this whole Premier League experience thing is overblown, if you buy players that are good enough it shouldn't really matter what league they have experience of, should it?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I never said he wasn't good enough for us, I just get a bit fed up of "could do a job" being linked to every player that suddenly become available.
Also I think this whole Premier League experience thing is overblown, if you buy players that are good enough it shouldn't really matter what league they have experience of, should it?

Every experienced Prem Lg player has to start somewhere.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Gibbs free to leave Arsenal, currently on 60k p/w and I would imagine he would take a little pay cut to be a starter elsewhere.

He's been at Arsenal 10 years now and only played 137 games, i'd assume he has started almost every cup game for Arsenal in those 10 years so probably hasn't made a lot of league apps.

Wasted career for a half decent footballer!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Look to Championship for quality and sell on value...Jacob Murphy (Norwich), Ben Brereton (Forest).

Who is interested in sell on value? All that matters now is surviving that first season in the Premier League. Too many people are looking much too far ahead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Championship players with a hint of quality still come at a premier price, to Premier League teams, esp if more than 1 has shown an interest, which they will have done.

At least with Spain, Italy, and I guess now Germany too, the club have more wiggle room, as well as negotiating for a player keen to move.

Southampton bought full international Manolo Gabbiadini for £14m, now worth considerably more.
While Leipzig got Oliver Burke for £13m on the strength of one season.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
A fair few on here thought the Albion should be making an offer for this fella:-

Gylfi Sigurdsson: Swansea City set £50m price tag after rejecting Leicester bid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40550188

Tony, or should that be Barber, doesn't stand a chance does he.

Yep. I was one of those. He would have been a steal a £10m! The football worlds going that bit crazier by the minute

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep. I was one of those. He would have been a steal a £10m! The football worlds going that bit crazier by the minute
Plenty more to step forward!!!

I think the phrase is 'I believe I had that'.
Although not in a million years would I have been stupid enough to say he'd go for the rejected £40m let alone have a £50m asking price.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Gibbs free to leave Arsenal, currently on 60k p/w and I would imagine he would take a little pay cut to be a starter elsewhere.

He's been at Arsenal 10 years now and only played 137 games, i'd assume he has started almost every cup game for Arsenal in those 10 years so probably hasn't made a lot of league apps.

Wasted career for a half decent footballer!

Thats one wrong way of looking at his wiki stats. Another way is . . . .
Maybe look at when he started being first choice for Arsenal at the age of 21 from 2011. For the past 6 seasons he's played an average of 20 league and 6 champions league games a season. All under the exciting tactics of Wenger. I would have lovely to have wasted the first half of my 1st team career like that.
Now he has another challenge ahead for his 2nd half of his career, hopefully nearing his peak.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Thats one wrong way of looking at his wiki stats. Another way is . . . .
Maybe look at when he started being first choice for Arsenal at the age of 21 from 2011. For the past 6 seasons he's played an average of 20 league and 6 champions league games a season. All under the exciting tactics of Wenger. I would have lovely to have wasted the first half of my 1st team career like that.
Now he has another challenge ahead for his 2nd half of his career, hopefully nearing his peak.

Look at someone like Ryan Bertrand who flourished after leaving a "Big club"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here