Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'm not too sure what people are arguing about here.
Yes it would be better if we had signed more players than we have already.
Yes it is not that surprising that we haven't yet.
Does the lack of signings yet mean we are doomed? Of course not.

There is a theory that we are better off having slightly below par players now for a whole pre-season than trying to integrate a bunch of players not signed until after the season starts. To this I would point out that we could have had OG, Manu and probably Akpom turning up to training this week. I'd much rather take my chances on 3 deadline day signings if that was the only choice! But of course this isn't the only choice, we could probably sign better than that original three right now but there is a very good chance that we could sign even better players in August, just by being a little patient (and by being as cunning as a lizard with a team of professional advisors to make up a genius plan). A clear example of this is January 2016, I was desperately disappointed that we didn't sign VLP as I thought he had looked decent and would have improved our squad, then a few days later a Mr Knockaert turned up.

What I think we do need right now is to all agree when is a reasonable time to panic (or for the kindergarten crowd: "wen shud we wet the bed?").

Out of the squad right now do we have enough to put out a decent team against MC? Since we have the majority of that amazing team from last season, with just about cover for all positions, I would say definitely yes and so there is no need to panic regardles of how many more signings we make by that day. On the other hand if we have made no more signings by then I would be extremely worried. Taking it further, if we have made no more signings by September then we are almost certainly doomed and so the panic stage should be earlier than that. So basically there should be some sort of sliding scale of worry.

Currently we need 8 more players in (including 2 goalkeepers) and I'd say signing 4 players in one day is a crazy amount of business to do which means the very latest we should be signing players is 4 on August 30th and 4 on 31st. Therefore with no more signings absolute panic day is August 30th with us already doomed by August 31st.

I think I need a graph.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Summer 2017.gif

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Can't believe the bedwetting over the term bed wetting . ???

Stop wetting the bed over the use of bet wetting you bed wetters !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting I thought that Gross appeared from his interview to have spoken to Winstanley and seen the facilities a year ago.
Delaney appears to be similar from the write up so far.

That sort of preparedness is clearly laudible (at least when it pays off in terms of signings).

The perceived wisdom that the month gained between automatic promotion and going up via the playoffs is absolutely vital to subsequent PL success is going to be tested this time.

That said, Hudds forays into the market do seem to be more centred on being promotion-ready competing back in the Championship a year hence, making PL success this season an even bigger gamble. They look ready to go full-on attacking to gain early points on the board. Good luck to them. In contrast ours appears on the face of it to be a more measured approach albeit with no greater chance of success.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Interesting I thought that Gross appeared from his interview to have spoken to Winstanley and seen the facilities a year ago.
That sort of preparedness is clearly laudible (at least when it pays off in terms of signings).

Hughton tried to sign Delaney in January.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Stop me if you think you've heard this one before.

[tweet]882247355004858369[/tweet]
[tweet]882247767640461314[/tweet]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Unless you get a transfer ban for tapping up...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Naylor just loves having a dig at the fans doesn't he?!

Why as our local club journalist he feels the need to comment I don't know. As we've seen on this thread, most fans are happy and relatively relaxed, some are slightly concerned with what we've done so far, others are more concerned. That's all perfectly reasonable and normal and it's probably the same with fans of every club in the country.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Naylor just loves having a dig at the fans doesn't he?!

Why as our local club journalist he feels the need to comment I don't know. As we've seen on this thread, most fans are happy and relatively relaxed, some are slightly concerned with what we've done so far, others are more concerned. That's all perfectly reasonable and normal and it's probably the same with fans of every club in the country.

Comes across as a ****ing idiot with very little investment in the club in terms of passion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here