Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People who change names of popular/well known things ie. Arsgas (Argus)

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
The nicknames people come up with for our players on here makes me sick.

Sidders, Stockers, Knocky, Muzza.... the worst one I've seen recently was Balders..... cringe. Pure baby talk. Just use their names!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The nicknames people come up with for our players on here makes me sick.

Sidders, Stockers, Knocky, Muzza.... the worst one I've seen recently was Balders..... cringe. Pure baby talk. Just use their names!

It could be worse, we could be in Australia.

Siddo, Stocko, Knocko, Muzzo, Baldo etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Try typing in the name of the referee at Boro' last season into NSC and see what you get...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fakebook
Manure
Chelski
Palarse

Are you all 5 years old ?

What's your problem? Quite a normal thing, nicknames, or made-up names for things or practices that then become universally or widely used. Listen to footballers (or cricketers) being interviewed about their team mates - Stockers, Sidders, Giggsy, Scholesey - the list could go on and on.
Made up words become 'legit' if universally used - for example, what has 'gooner' got to do with Arsenal, after all? Nothing, so why use it? - answer: it's used because everyone knows what it means.
There's a good reason why the Guardian gets called the Grauniad, and everybody knew why the News of the World was called the News of the Screws!
And don't even ask where some of the words for certain sexual practices came from! Someone, somewhere, made them up, that's all. Common useage and development of the English language.
Geez, one day some idiot might come up with a collective noun for posters on North Stand Chat.......

NSCers anybody..........?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Going back to the early days of the London Underground, Punch magazine called the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway the Bakerloo Railway. Did the name stick?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
What's your problem? Quite a normal thing, nicknames, or made-up names for things or practices that then become universally or widely used. Listen to footballers (or cricketers) being interviewed about their team mates - Stockers, Sidders, Giggsy, Scholesey - the list could go on and on.
Made up words become 'legit' if universally used - for example, what has 'gooner' got to do with Arsenal, after all? Nothing, so why use it? - answer: it's used because everyone knows what it means.
There's a good reason why the Guardian gets called the Grauniad, and everybody knew why the News of the World was called the News of the Screws!
And don't even ask where some of the words for certain sexual practices came from! Someone, somewhere, made them up, that's all. Common useage and development of the English language.
Geez, one day some idiot might come up with a collective noun for posters on North Stand Chat.......

NSCers anybody..........?
How are my examples "a development of the English language ?".

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Common usage. Do you really not understand, for instance, why and how Chelsea are now often referred to as Chelski? Really? Not even the tiniest clue?
I get the idea BUT I think they were initially used to raise a smile but now its tedious.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here